The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I umpire LL Minor Division and I have heard two interpretations of the batter interference call when a runner is attempting to score from third. Which is correct:

a) It is batter interference when the batter fails to leave the box regardless of whether the defensive team is makaing a play on the runner attempting to score

b) It is only batter interference if the batter remains in the box and -- in the umpire's judgment -- the defense was in the act of making a play on the runner. I believe this is the correct interpretation because it is consistent with the case of a batter-runner beign inside the baseline going to first adn is only guilty of interference when a play is actually attempted.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rinbee
I umpire LL Minor Division and I have heard two interpretations of the batter interference call when a runner is attempting to score from third. Which is correct:

a) It is batter interference when the batter fails to leave the box regardless of whether the defensive team is makaing a play on the runner attempting to score

b) It is only batter interference if the batter remains in the box and -- in the umpire's judgment -- the defense was in the act of making a play on the runner. I believe this is the correct interpretation because it is consistent with the case of a batter-runner beign inside the baseline going to first adn is only guilty of interference when a play is actually attempted.

c) interfering with the catcher's fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter's box or making any other movement that hinders the catcher's play at home base.

EXCEPTION: Batter is not out if any runner attempting to advance is put out, or if runner trying to score is called out for batter's interference.

"The Right Call" Casebook
Comment: Notice that there is no mention of intentional. Again, umpire's judgment.

" If the batter interferes with the catcher, the plate umpire shall call "interference." The batter is out and the ball dead. No player may advance on such interference (offensive interference) and all runners must return to the last base that was, in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference.
" If, however, the catcher makes a play and the runner attempting to advance is put out, it is to be assumed there was no actual interference and that runner is out - not the batter. Any other runners on the base at the time may advance, as the ruling is that there is no actual interference if a runner is retired. In that case play proceeds just as if no violation had been called.
" If a batter strikes at a ball and misses and swings so hard he carries the bat all the way around and, in the umpire's judgment, unintentionally hits the catcher or the ball in back of him on the back swing before the catcher has securely held the ball, it shall be called a strike only (not interference). The ball will be dead, however, and no runner shall advance on the play.
" While this rule will most often come into play in the Juniors, Seniors and Big League programs, it can occur in all divisions on passed balls or wild pitches. The batter must avoid interference. Period.