View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
I would dis agree with that statement, simply based on the 'running lane' alone and running between home and first in this case. I understand this is not the case when running between other bases (where the runner 'creates' their own baseline unless a tag play is being made on them)

Since the ASA rule book has been so 'vanilla-ized' over the past few years, and one key element of interference has been removed (in this case intent). I am not sure about your interpretation here either.

my question is , if a batter/runner is 'OUT' when struck by a thrown ball OUTSIDE the running lane, why would this play not be applicable to this rule? If the runner had reached the running lane and is struck with a thrown ball over fair territory, we have an out.

This maybe more of a rule book clarification, but reading the book and interpreting the black and white as the book reads today. It appears that an out should be called. (whether I agree with that or not)
Two points you seem to be missing:
1) Irish said nothing about intent, just "actually do something to interfere"; regardless of intent or accident; like changing direction or speed.

2) The rules do not say the BR can't run outside the running lane, just that the BR is out if that interferes with the fielder receiving the throw at 1st.

Welcome A(board)