The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer View Post
Coach here.

Can the BU make the call that the batter is out of the box?
Is it allowable? As has already been mentioned, certainly. Does the BU, from around 70 feet away have the ideal view to make the call? Of course not.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Or else they are very confused in their mechanics!
What? You've never called off apartner in a two man on a long ball hit down third? Or do you not cover the plate when you release at 2nd?
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer View Post
Coach here.

Can the BU make the call that the batter is out of the box?
The BU should not make that call unless it was so obvious, the CIA could have picked it up during a satellite passover.

The BU has the pitcher's feet, the pitcher's motion, the baserunner's and possible check swing, batted ball off the batter or ball hit second time. Combine that with only a 2-dimensional view and the BU has no more ability to make that call than the lady selling hot dogs in the concession stand.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 06:19am.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

So this could be apochryphal and is being told about fourth-hand here, but...

Two fine umpires working for an organization not represented by SMSUA. Girls FP. PU is blocked and can't see the batted ball hit the (right handed) batter. She's easily thrown out at first. OC asks PU to get help from BU, who is in C.

They (of course!) don't come together to talk. PU doesn't remove mask, points to his partner, and shouts, "Did you see the ball hit the batter?"

"Yes! AND she was out of the box."
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
So this could be apochryphal and is being told about fourth-hand here, but...

Two fine umpires working for an organization not represented by SMSUA. Girls FP. PU is blocked and can't see the batted ball hit the (right handed) batter. She's easily thrown out at first. OC asks PU to get help from BU, who is in C.

They (of course!) don't come together to talk. PU doesn't remove mask, points to his partner, and shouts, "Did you see the ball hit the batter?"

"Yes! AND she was out of the box."
Sounds like an FYC to me.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignBlue View Post
What? You've never called off apartner in a two man on a long ball hit down third? Or do you not cover the plate when you release at 2nd?
In a two man system, the general rule of thumb is the BU NEVER makes a call at home. It is taught this way in all of the clinics, in all of the manuals, and in the recent ASA DVD.

Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignBlue View Post
Also, with no runners on, the BU should take the runner all the way to third. If I call them off in this situation, that means that they either a) fell, b) tripped and almost fell causing them to lose several steps, or c) aren't doing their job.

Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I worked an ASA SP rec league last night. The field was lined and we even started with batters boxes that appeared to be roughly correct, i.e. 4' forward, 3' back, and 3' wide.

Second player of the game stepped out of the front of the batters box with his left foot and hit a fly ball to the outfield. I called dead ball and the batter out for contacting the ball with one foot completely out of the batters box.

We had a little discussion about it, but since the fly ball was caught, the batter didn't make too much of an issue of it.

Anyhoos, first game ended in about an hour as we were done by about 9 PM. We're waiting for one team to scrounge up their 9th player and didn't get started until 9:30. In the interim, I had some discussions with some of the players from the first game [and others] regarding the batters box.

I heard that the batters box on the field was a "little league" batters box. I heard that there shouldn't even be a batters box for ASA slow pitch. I heard that you could start outside the batters box prior to the pitch. I heard that you could actually [legally] hit the ball if one foot was completely out of the batters box. The last point was apparently confirmed as "legal" by another umpire at one of their games as there was much head-nodding and agreement. I heard that the batters box dimensions had been changed this year and when I asked when, I was told in April [maybe]. I heard that a lot of these guys play in NIT ASA tournaments and that's why they know these things.

My partner_du-jour concurred with all of these points and even offered that the slow pitch rule for the batter in the batters box was different than that of fast pitch, and perhaps that was why I was confused. I told him that I'd have to check on that one.

So I came home and scoured the rule book. I looked first at the 2009 changes and then Rule 2, the Playing Field. I didn't see any changes to the batters box dimensions. I logged onto the ASA website and looked at the rule clarifications and plays for 2009 which included the months of March, April, May, and June. I found no references to the dimension changes of the batters box.

Then I thoroughly read Rule 7 Section 3 and Section 6. I was particularly enamored with Section 6 The Batter Is Out.
D. When an entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batters box at the time the ball makes contact with the bat.

I couldn't find that passage referenced by ump_du-jour on the differences between slow pitch and fast pitch, so perhaps I have an outdated edition of the 2009 Umpire Manual?

In the 2007 rule book, the batters box for slow pitch was temporarily widened from 3' to 4', but this change was later rescinded. And as far as I know, the dimensions are 3' wide by 7' long.

So, if I've missed this critical rule update, please advise and provide a reference so I can follow up. I feel terrible that I may have made a bad call on the batter, even though he would have ended up out anyway.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Fri Jun 26, 2009 at 09:58am.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I worked an ASA SP rec league last night. The field was lined and we even started with batters boxes that appeared to be roughly correct, i.e. 4' forward, 3' back, and 3' wide.

Second player of the game stepped out of the front of the batters box with his left foot and hit a fly ball to the outfield. I called dead ball and the batter out for contacting the ball with one foot completely out of the batters box.

We had a little discussion about it, but since the fly ball was caught, the batter didn't make too much of an issue of it.

Anyhoos, first game ended in about an hour as we were done by about 9 PM. We're waiting for one team to scrounge up their 9th player and didn't get started until 9:30. In the interim, I had some discussions with some of the players from the first game [and others] regarding the batters box.

I heard that the batters box on the field was a "little league" batters box. I heard that there shouldn't even be a batters box for ASA slow pitch. I heard that you could start outside the batters box prior to the pitch. I heard that you could actually [legally] hit the ball if one foot was completely out of the batters box. The last point was apparently confirmed as "legal" by another umpire at one of their games as there was much head-nodding and agreement. I heard that the batters box dimensions had been changed this year and when I asked when, I was told in April [maybe]. I heard that a lot of these guys play in NIT ASA tournaments and that's why they know these things.

My partner_du-jour concurred with all of these points and even offered that the slow pitch rule for the batter in the batters box was different than that of fast pitch, and perhaps that was why I was confused. I told him that I'd have to check on that one.

So I came home and scoured the rule book. I looked first at the 2009 changes and then Rule 2, the Playing Field. I didn't see any changes to the batters box dimensions. I logged onto the ASA website and looked at the rule clarifications and plays for 2009 which included the months of March, April, May, and June. I found no references to the dimension changes of the batters box.

Then I thoroughly read Rule 7 Section 3 and Section 6. I was particularly enamored with Section 6 The Batter Is Out.
D. When an entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batters box at the time the ball makes contact with the bat.

I couldn't find that passage referenced by ump_du-jour on the differences between slow pitch and fast pitch, so perhaps I have an outdated edition of the 2009 Umpire Manual?

In the 2007 rule book, the batters box for slow pitch was temporarily widened from 3' to 4', but this change was later rescinded. And as far as I know, the dimensions are 3' wide by 7' long.

So, if I've missed this critical rule update, please advise and provide a reference so I can follow up. I feel terrible that I may have made a bad call on the batter, even though he would have ended up out anyway.
Good news, Ted. You are right, the players and your weak partner are incorrect. More likely, they are confusing ASA with another org.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

If you deviate communicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Also, with no runners on, the BU should take the runner all the way to third. If I call them off in this situation, that means that they either a) fell, b) tripped and almost fell causing them to lose several steps, or c) aren't doing their job.
Have you ever heard "If you deviate communicate"? There is nothing wrong with deviating from the mechanics. The ASA Mechanics manual even says so. Now I don't deviate much because I believe that in most situations I see no reason to. And you should have a good and logical reason for doing so. For example, I will call my partner off at Third if I have to go up the line on a ball hit to left field. Why not? I'm already there. To suggest that they are not during their job is not accurate. They may have 4 games in a row that night and the PU is trying to save the BU's legs. There's nothing wrong with taking the call at Third in this situation. However, you should pre-game it. Again, I don't deviate much, but when I do its for a good reason. Not just because I don't like the mechanic. I never deviate for that reason. In fact calling my partner off at Third is the only time I do deviate. Every other instance I follow the prescribed mechanic.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Have you ever heard "If you deviate communicate"? There is nothing wrong with deviating from the mechanics. The ASA Mechanics manual even says so. Now I don't deviate much because I believe that in most situations I see no reason to. And you should have a good and logical reason for doing so. For example, I will call my partner off at Third if I have to go up the line on a ball hit to left field. Why not? I'm already there. To suggest that they are not during their job is not accurate. They may have 4 games in a row that night and the PU is trying to save the BU's legs. There's nothing wrong with taking the call at Third in this situation. However, you should pre-game it. Again, I don't deviate much, but when I do its for a good reason. Not just because I don't like the mechanic. I never deviate for that reason. In fact calling my partner off at Third is the only time I do deviate. Every other instance I follow the prescribed mechanic.
The way I read this, that is all Scott did, gave his "good reason" as to when he would deviate.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The way I read this, that is all Scott did, gave his "good reason" as to when he would deviate.
I was thinking he was saying "that aren't doing their jobs" if they deviate.
That's what I was disagreeing with.

Last edited by rwest; Fri Jun 26, 2009 at 12:08pm.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yup.

Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I had a recent game (16-0) where the losing coach jumped all over me about a batter being out of the batter's box. This is a coach who's pitcher couldn't find the strike zone if I spray painted the strike zone for her. He seemed to be far more interested in nit-picking the rules with me rather than coaching his team because his team was just AWFUL, i've never seen more mental mistakes combined with a lack of talent in all my games. I really wanted to tell him: "Look at the scoreboard, if you spent half the energy you're spending by arguing with me, maybe your team would be somewhat competent..."

Anyways, he then jumps on me for calling a borderline pitch by his pitcher a ball, which I have to admit that I kinda froze on because I was surprised his pitcher actually threw something that good. Another problem was, the previous batter maybe had been slightly out of the batter's box when she hit a grand slam, and he jumped on me for that, so I stared at the batter's feet and only saw the pitch out of the corner of my eye...

so how do you look for the batter being out of the box? some of my senior umps tell me that the batter has to be all the way at the pitcher's circle before they even bother calling it...of course they're exagerrating but usually, I may take a quick glance at where the batter is after the hit and if they're reasonably close, I give it to them...since it is something that is in my peripheral vision, if i see it, i see it...

And he also argued with me on that new bunt attempt rule. The opposing batter held out to bunt, and just as the ball came, she started to pull back, I figured, good enough for me, Ball! What exactly is the ruling on that? I figure if the batter starts to pull back, it's good enough for me since the rule never said that the bat has to be withdrawn "completely" from the zone, so I interpret that as a "start to withdraw" is fine...
Ejection...right then, right there....firm and emphatic. This guy was tip toeing around "crossing the line" all game. At that moment (based on your post) this giuy crossed it. Toss him. No more problems with all the other stuff that followed.
Please note that I said "this guy crossed it".In another game if a guy has been a "good citizen" all game, and gets all over me on a borderline pitch...the ejection while not as quick, we be coming shortly after if he doesn't immeadiately calm down when I remind him that "you're not going to argue "balls&strikes coach."