View Single Post
Old Fri May 29, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Can't speak for FP or MP, but I'll toss my $0.02 in for SP. BuggBob is absolutely correct in that nothing can happen without the ball.

Remember: we're always working in priorities.

As the pitch comes in, my priority at this time is the pitch crossing the plate. I focus on the ball, of course, but keeping the batter's movements in my peripheral. In my peripheral, I can see if they're starting to reposition themselves to try and chase that outside pitch, or if they're going to swing their lead foot out on an inside pitch.

Once they hit the ball, my priorities change. I determine "is this ball going forward? Up? Back? Did the batter miss?" If I determine it's going up or forward, and I might have a split second to look elsewhere, I'll check the batter's feet. If the ball is going back, I've gotta watch for a foul tip. If the ball isn't well-hit, or if it looks like it's going to the sides (and have to worry about it hitting the batter) I focus on what the ball does.

It's difficult to describe what goes through one's mind when calling behind the plate, as there are so many things to focus on: the ball, the batter, the feet, the runners, the fielders, the hot moms. However, I believe if you begin to think in terms of priorities, it will all become clearer. If a coach whines that you missed a batter making contact with their foot out of the box, just tell them, "hey, coach, I couldn't see it, because I had to watch this, or watch that." If they can't accept it, "sorry, coach. Play ball."

Regardless, I've gotta have the entire foot out of the box at the time of contact, and I'm not going to call it if it's only a quarter of an inch or so. It has to be CLEARLY out of the box if I'm going to call it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.