The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

What iffy obs question

My other obs thread play got me thinking about something more out there. I know interference trumps obstruction but what if obstruction causes interference. Here's what I'm visualizing.

No outs. R1 on 1st. F3 playing in and F4 playing out. Ball popped up between them. F3 is backing up to make the catch and R1 is running behind her. F4 then steps in front of R1 who reacts a) by stopping. F3 then backs into R1 in a way that would have clearly gotten R1 called for INT if not for the OBS. Is R1 still out? Or in B) by realizing she needs to tag and running back to first. F3 catches the ball. There is no question that R1 would have attained second illegally if not for the obstruction. Is she still entitled to such an award?
________
ahotsexy_ass4U

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:52pm.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

There was a question on here, or one of the softball boards somewhere, one time, about F6 coming across to field the ball near second, and F4 obstructing the runner causing the runner to fall into F6 as F6 makes the play, thus causing her to botch the play. The general consensus then was since the OBS caused the runner to fall into F6, then the only thing that could be enforced was the OBS. I even sent that play into the ASA/NFHS state UIC for Texas, and he agreed that OBS would be the proper ruling in that case.

Your first example, though, is still kind of gray. After stopping, could the runner have done anything to avoid contact, or was the stopping/contact simultaneous? I really am not understanding your second scenario, so I cannot be much help there.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
There was a question on here, or one of the softball boards somewhere, one time, about F6 coming across to field the ball near second, and F4 obstructing the runner causing the runner to fall into F6 as F6 makes the play, thus causing her to botch the play. The general consensus then was since the OBS caused the runner to fall into F6, then the only thing that could be enforced was the OBS. I even sent that play into the ASA/NFHS state UIC for Texas, and he agreed that OBS would be the proper ruling in that case.

Your first example, though, is still kind of gray. After stopping, could the runner have done anything to avoid contact, or was the stopping/contact simultaneous? I really am not understanding your second scenario, so I cannot be much help there.
The first example was similar enough to what you posted that I think I'm fine with that.

The second scenario broken down. The runner is OBS between 1st and 2nd while another fielder is fielding a fly ball. Because of the obstruction the runner safely returned to first to tag. Without the obstruction the runner easily would have been on second, and been appealed out at first.
I don't like that the runner might get 2nd here but can't come up with a reason not to make the award.
Old Sat Apr 11, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
The first example was similar enough to what you posted that I think I'm fine with that.

The second scenario broken down. The runner is OBS between 1st and 2nd while another fielder is fielding a fly ball. Because of the obstruction the runner safely returned to first to tag. Without the obstruction the runner easily would have been on second, and been appealed out at first.
I don't like that the runner might get 2nd here but can't come up with a reason not to make the award.

NFHS: I would leave her on first.
She gets the base she would have gotten had there been no obstruction.
I know we shouldn't woulda/shoulda/coulda, so how do I know without obstruction she woulda continued on to second rather than returned to first?
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
NFHS: I would leave her on first.
She gets the base she would have gotten had there been no obstruction.
I know we shouldn't woulda/shoulda/coulda, so how do I know without obstruction she woulda continued on to second rather than returned to first?
What do you do with the BR? (F4 dropped the pop up.)
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post

Think it was the one I posted a couple of months back.
Glad NFHS State UIC agreed with call.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
What do you do with the BR? (F4 dropped the pop up.)
If the BR made 1st safely, the runner is forced, so is out if the defense tags her or 2nd (or the ump waits to see ...).
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
If the BR made 1st safely, the runner is forced, so is out if the defense tags her or 2nd (or the ump waits to see ...).
Go back to the OP, Cecil. R1 was judged to be obstructed between 1st and 2nd by F4. If stopping was a reaction to F4 who is not the fielder fielding the ball, that has to be obstruction. On the other hand, if R1 simply realizes she might have to tag, then that is nothing. But the OP said OBS.

If the ball is caught, R1 must be safe at 1st. If the ball drops, and BR is safe at 1st, R1 must be awarded 2nd; cannot be put out between 1st & 2nd.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Go back to the OP, Cecil. R1 was judged to be obstructed between 1st and 2nd by F4. If stopping was a reaction to F4 who is not the fielder fielding the ball, that has to be obstruction. On the other hand, if R1 simply realizes she might have to tag, then that is nothing. But the OP said OBS.

If the ball is caught, R1 must be safe at 1st. If the ball drops, and BR is safe at 1st, R1 must be awarded 2nd; cannot be put out between 1st & 2nd.
Yeah, I was focused on the Hugo & Larry part and ignored the OP or OBS. Obviously, you are correct.