The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

As much as I hate to admit it I see what Irish is getting at. The rules say that you are entitled to advance without liability to be put out. Ok, so R1 is not being put out, but question is when does the inning end? When the 3rd out is obtained...so if R2 is put out prior to R1 touching their base they are entitled to advance to without liability to be put out....why would they be allowed to continue to advance, and score AFTER the inning is over?
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I wasn't as clear, but I thought I said that back at post #14.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Sean&Steve,

Sorry I overlooked your posts. Guess I was focused more on those who I was trying to get to see the difference between the wording of the rule and the case plays/interpretations being offered.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
....The rules say that you are entitled to advance without liability to be put out. Ok, so R1 is not being put out, but question is when does the inning end? When the 3rd out is obtained...so if R2 is put out prior to R1 touching their base they are entitled to advance to without liability to be put out....why would they be allowed to continue to advance, and score AFTER the inning is over?
Good question. According to the NFHS case play, they are allowed to because they say they are allowed to. But, in ASA, the inning is over, and there is nothing (that I can find) in the ASA rule book to say that R1 can mosey across home after the third out and have the run count.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

at mosey speed

How about a situation where the bases are loaded and two outs. Batter hits a long fly ball to the center field fence. R3, having lost track of the outs does not run to 2B but is returning to 1B to tag up.

A. Ball bounces off F8's glove and over the fence for a 4 base award;

B. Ball clears the fence easily.

However, the batter, not seeing R3 tagging up at 1B passes the runner and is declared out for the third out of the inning. How many runs are permitted to score? Only those that crossed home before the batter passed the runner or all three runners?

Thanx,

Ted
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

I could be wrong, but I see a difference between this play and a walk. In both a four base award, and a homerun, all runners are awarded all bases, forced or not, as long as they do not violate a baserunning requirement (missing a base, or passing another runner). So, since the baserunners (R1, R2, and R3) are awarded home, they score. Batter is out; not a timing play on the dead ball, awarded bases score as awarded, as long as they precede the runner that made the third out.

If R3 passed R2, then only two score. Etc., etc., etc.

On the walk, only the batter is awarded 1 base. Unforced runners advance at their own risk; forced runners are not awarded a base, they are simply advancing without liability to be put out. That is a timing play, live ball, and if they do not score before the third out is made, they do not score.

IMO.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I could be wrong, but I see a difference between this play and a walk. In both a four base award, and a homerun, all runners are awarded all bases, forced or not, as long as they do not violate a baserunning requirement (missing a base, or passing another runner). So, since the baserunners (R1, R2, and R3) are awarded home, they score. Batter is out; not a timing play on the dead ball, awarded bases score as awarded, as long as they precede the runner that made the third out.

If R3 passed R2, then only two score. Etc., etc., etc.

On the walk, only the batter is awarded 1 base. Unforced runners advance at their own risk; forced runners are not awarded a base, they are simply advancing without liability to be put out. That is a timing play, live ball, and if they do not score before the third out is made, they do not score.

IMO.
Speaking ASA, of course (or, at least not NFHS).
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

If there are less than 2 outs, R2 rounds 3B and is put out as above, is R1 now in jeopardy since he is no longer forced home?
Old Fri Sep 05, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka
If there are less than 2 outs, R2 rounds 3B and is put out as above, is R1 now in jeopardy since he is no longer forced home?
No. Since R1 was forced to advance due to the BR being awarded 1B on the walk, R1 is now entitled to advance without liability of being put out, regardless of what happens behind him.