The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
A similar play was described at our NUS this year, but the ball hit the BR in the sitch. The correct call in that sitch was dead ball, BR out for INT.
That may be the play I'm thinking about...
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I believe we had the same play...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
That may be the play I'm thinking about...
Sean,

I believe we had the same play at the 2007 FP Advance Camp held down here in Georgia. So, if we applied the same logic, wouldn't we get two outs here?
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest
Sean,

I believe we had the same play at the 2007 FP Advance Camp held down here in Georgia. So, if we applied the same logic, wouldn't we get two outs here?
If it hits a runner in fair territory, it's a fair ball. BR is out. If the touch was an act of INT, then you have a fair batted ball for the IFF, and INT on the runner.

My key on this is whether or not the defense could make a play on another runner, OTHER than the BR. The BR is out, regardless. Could the defense have made a play on R1 or R2? If yes, then that runner is out, too.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
You can't have OBS. The fielder is not fielding a batted ball. Rule 1 - OBS.
Are you going without sleep again, Sean? You can't have INT, because the fielder is not fielding a batted ball.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
Stolen from another site:

5. And last... this actually came very close to happening. R1 at 3B, R2 at 1B. R2 is stealing on the pitch. Pitcher winds up and the ball comes out during the windmill, heading behind her towards 2B fielder (between 1B and 2B). Fielder charges for ball as R2 heads to second, causing a collision. R1 advances home as R2 gets back to 1B. I presume there are illegal pitch considerations in this one?
For #5, there's an illegal pitch...6-3-G. The ball was not released past the straight line of the body. Also, 6-3-E...the delivery must be below the hip. For the ball to go backwards, I don't see how the delivery can meet the above two criterion.

Manager has option to take the result of the play which I guess would be the lesser of two evils. R2 on 1st or 2nd depending on judgement of umpire with the OBS and R1 scoring and a ball on the batter.....OR.....Illegal Pitch enforced with R1 scoring, R2 on second and a ball on the batter.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

No illegal pitch, by rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdntranger
For #5, there's an illegal pitch...6-3-G. The ball was not released past the straight line of the body. Also, 6-3-E...the delivery must be below the hip. For the ball to go backwards, I don't see how the delivery can meet the above two criterion.

Manager has option to take the result of the play which I guess would be the lesser of two evils. R2 on 1st or 2nd depending on judgement of umpire with the OBS and R1 scoring and a ball on the batter.....OR.....Illegal Pitch enforced with R1 scoring, R2 on second and a ball on the batter.
Its either a ball on the batter and a live ball (FP) per 6.11 (FP) or its a no pitch (SP) per 6.9(SP).
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
Are you going without sleep again, Sean? You can't have INT, because the fielder is not fielding a batted ball.
Larry - read the definitions of INT and OBS again... it doesn't have to be a batted ball to have INT. The fielder is attempting to execute a play - doesn't matter if it's a batted ball or not.

How do you think we get INT on a runner breaking up a double play?

Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Larry - read the definitions of INT and OBS again... it doesn't have to be a batted ball to have INT. The fielder is attempting to execute a play - doesn't matter if it's a batted ball or not.

We get interference on the breaking up the DP when the fielder has the ball. But in this case, the fielder (without the ball) caused the runner to slow or deviate from her path = OBS.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

Quote:
1. R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st. B1 hits ball to CF. R1 rounds 3B and heads home as R2 rounds 2B and heads to 3B. CF throws to cutoff, who turns and throws home. Catcher receives ball as R1 slides safely home. Fielder at 3B, anticipating cutoff throw that never came, was standing on 3B as R2 reaches 3B and makes contact, impeding R2's turn at 3B. FU indicates obstruction and 3B coach tells R2 to head home, where catcher is still holding the ball from play on R1. Catcher waits and politely tags R2 out as she jogs in to the plate. R2 wasn't obstructed from reaching 3B, she was obstructed from rounding the base. Catcher still had the ball, so there's no judgement R2 would have scored on the play had obstruction not occured.
Dead ball, R2 back to 3B

Quote:
2. R1 at first, B1 squares to bunt. Fielder at 1B was playing behind the bag and charges, just as R1 takes off on the pitch. Fielder and R1 collide. Pitcher fields ball down the 1B line that fielder at 1B would have legitimately played, and throws to 2B for the force.
OBS

Quote:
3. R1 at 2B, R2 at 1B, 1 out. B1 hit pop fly to SS. Umpire calls infield fly, B1 out. SS loses ball in the sun and starts yelling she lost it. R1 sees an opportunity and takes off for 3B. Ball comes down and hits R1 on the helmet as she runs to 3B. Ball skips away as R1 ends up at 3B and R2 at 2B.
R1 is 3rd out.

Quote:
4. R1 at 3B, 1 out. B1 bunts the ball up the 1B line. Fielder at 1B charges as R1 heads home. B1, realizing she will be tagged out, stops and is standing still on the foul line. Fielder realizes she no longer has a double play opportunity, abandons the tag on B1 and throws home to keep the run from scoring. Throw from left-handed fielder hits B1, who is still standing still and upright in the baseline, not far from home plate. R1 scores.
DMF

Quote:
5. And last... this actually came very close to happening. R1 at 3B, R2 at 1B. R2 is stealing on the pitch. Pitcher winds up and the ball comes out during the windmill, heading behind her towards 2B fielder (between 1B and 2B). Fielder charges for ball as R2 heads to second, causing a collision. R1 advances home as R2 gets back to 1B. I presume there are illegal pitch considerations in this one?
Live ball, OBS on F4. R1 scores, R2 awarded 2B, ball on the batter.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW

Sorry, don't buy that one at all. That is the definition of INT. Now, cite the rule which applies that definition to the play at hand.
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Looking at the pure definition of Interference, I had an out on #5.

However, looking at ASA 8-7-J, I can't get Interference on this play.

I've got to go with the Obstruction on this. ASA 8-5-B

Y'all is right. I wuz wrong.