The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

As discussed in a previous thread, a safe call & signal are not necessary (in fact discouraged) if a ball thrown to 1st base is clearly dropped and in plain view. I was wondering what other times this 'No Call Needed' comes into play. For example a pitched ball that hits in front of the plate, any batted ball clearly caught by a fielder, a ball 20 feet foul, a swinging strike are all obvious calls I can think of that may not require a call or signal. Please keep in mind I only do ASA Adult SP - so please respond accordingly or make clear if you are responding for some other type.

Thanks all
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Here's an area of relative inconsistency, unfortunately. Whike the credo of "no ball, no call" exists, most all the other plays you mention are expected to have, at least, an acknowledgement. I guess the point is that a no call means the runner is safe, while other situations create a change in count or circumstances, so they require at least some minimal acknowledgement.

So, for starters, all pitches deserve a call; every pitch that is not hit is either a ball or a strike, and deserves either a verbal call or signal. Since there is no signal for a ball, it must be verbal; even if the ball bounces to the plate, or hits the screen on the fly. Swinging strikes are not verbalized; but they are acknowledged by a signal, so that the defense knows that they don't need to ask you to check (in adult slow pitch, though, you may enjoy verbalizing!!). All outs require at least a basic out signal; obvious outs need not be verbalized. Obvious foul balls are the only category you mentioned where mechanics suggest no call or signal is considered necessary.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks that all makes sense

Yes I do enjoy a good verbal call on a swinging strike in slowpitch, mostly for mens leagues and when it is the third strike

If there are any other situation where a call does not need to be made, please include.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

I have not done ASA for about 5 years. In the organization I do (NFHS, NSA, LL and Baseball), I do not verbalize nor signal the following:
* balls that are so far out of the strike zone that everyone knows it's a ball,
* foul balls that are clearly in dead ball territory,
* 'can of corn' pop flies easily caught, or
* any other plays that I feel signalling would just be an attempt to call attention to myself instead of to the game.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I am aware that some associations preach the concepts just stated; and when in Rome, we do what our Caesar directs.

But, no umpire manual nor higher directive has indicated anything other than obvious foul balls not be indicated, according to ASA, NCAA, and NFHS. ASA and NCAA manuals are clear in stating all balls must be verbalized, and all strikes signaled. It isn't considered calling attention to yourself to signal the call that is your job to call.

But, if my UIC in a tournament directed us to stop signalling or calling, I would do what that UIC directed; for that tournament. Then, I would return to the prescribed mechanics until directed otherwise, again.
Old Sat Oct 08, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

As well for me. If my UIC in a tournament directed us to start signaling or calling the absurdly obvious, I would do what that UIC directed; for that tournament. Then, I would return to the prescribed mechanics until directed otherwise, again.

When I was in ASA, I called all the stuff, cause that's what they want. I even verbally called it on a foul ball that went approx 150 left of third base and cracked a windshield. I continued to call the obvious, even though in the above play, the catcher responded to my call with "No &#+% Sherlock".
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

The one I have trouble with is the infield trap. This board has said the proper call is "NONE". I feel the runners & the other fielders are waiting for some call, and me just standing there like a bump on a log is bad Umpiring.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

I must not have been here that day. I will signal safe on an uncaught trap (infield OR outfield). I would advise anyone who asked to do so as well.
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
The one I have trouble with is the infield trap. This board has said the proper call is "NONE". I feel the runners & the other fielders are waiting for some call, and me just standing there like a bump on a log is bad Umpiring.
Well, I don't speak for the board, but I do not agree with no call in that situation.

I loudly and very clearly call "NO CATCH" while giving a "safe" signal. I make sure it is clear and precise so there is no question about the words which came out of my mouth. On top of that, the runner does have coaches to help them out.

If they still have a problem, maybe they should be playing soccer.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

hmmm

I will also signal a safe mechanic on a trap in the infield. But Mike, do you really want to say "no catch?" That could be misinterpreted as "catch" especially if the fans are loud and drown out the sound. I have verblized "trap" or "safe." Conversely, on infield line drives that are caught but it is tuff to see, I will say "catch" and "out."

Things I don't tend to verbalize are routine caught fly balls, though I do give a close-to-the-body out signal. I do not signal foul ball if it is more then about 10 feet from the line and stop vocals 15 feet from the line.

Blu

Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Re: hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Blu_IN

I will also signal a safe mechanic on a trap in the infield. But Mike, do you really want to say "no catch?" That could be misinterpreted as "catch" especially if the fans are loud and drown out the sound. I have verblized "trap" or "safe." Conversely, on infield line drives that are caught but it is tuff to see, I will say "catch" and "out."

Things I don't tend to verbalize are routine caught fly balls, though I do give a close-to-the-body out signal. I do not signal foul ball if it is more then about 10 feet from the line and stop vocals 15 feet from the line.

Blu

Rubbish! I call it what it is, NO CATCH. As stated, I announce this in a clear and loud manner.

The book calls for a verbal "safe" on a trapped ball, but I know quite a few umpires whose "safe" and "out" are just about the same. A clear "NO" "CATCH" should not be a problem especially since it is two distinctive words. As a player, if I heard more than one word, I knew it wasn't "out".

And if you want to talk semantics, like many on this board love to pick apart the book, the BR is not safe on a dropped or trapped ball, they are by definition, "in jeopardy".

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Oct 12th, 2005 at 07:58 AM]
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I've never liked 2-word calls, where 1 would suffice. "SAFE" and a point indicates to everyone what you saw. No need to say anything else.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

How 'bout just a very strong -"NO"- coupled with the safe signal? Seems to work OK for me.

(on a trapped ball)
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
How 'bout just a very strong -"NO"- coupled with the safe signal? Seems to work OK for me.

(on a trapped ball)
That's what I do as well, and have found that it works well.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.