View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Finished my JV game in 1 hr 14 minutes. Thank You softball Gods. So I cruise over to the Varsity field.

R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B.
Pitcher starts her pitch, batter in a VERY loud voice says"TIME". Before anything else can happen pitcher stops her pitch. PU calls illegal pitch and advances the runners as well as awarding a ball to batter. My thinking was this was not your usual request from the batter for time but an attempt to distract the pitcher.

So after game talking to PU he was firmly in the camp of the pitcher is responsible for knowing who called time hence the illegal pitch. I presented the possibility of calling of time being a deliberate attempt to distract pitcher but he was pretty firm in his thinking.

Your thoughts on if there was handled correctly or even anyway else that this could have been handled ?

Ya know, I just had a varsity coach do that today. He was definitely not trying to cause an IP - he decided late that he wanted a sub for a runner. The pitcher stopped her windup - and this made everything very easy - and he then decided he did not want a sub. He got charged for an offensive conference - and all were content.