View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Finished my JV game in 1 hr 14 minutes. Thank You softball Gods. So I cruise over to the Varsity field.

R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B.
Pitcher starts her pitch, batter in a VERY loud voice says"TIME". Before anything else can happen pitcher stops her pitch. PU calls illegal pitch and advances the runners as well as awarding a ball to batter. My thinking was this was not your usual request from the batter for time but an attempt to distract the pitcher.

So after game talking to PU he was firmly in the camp of the pitcher is responsible for knowing who called time hence the illegal pitch. I presented the possibility of calling of time being a deliberate attempt to distract pitcher but he was pretty firm in his thinking.

Your thoughts on if there was handled correctly or even anyway else that this could have been handled ?
The PU screwed the pooch on that call. Rule 7.3 EFFECT 2

If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. However, if the batter steps out of the box or holds up her hand to request time and the pitcher delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. If the pitch is not delivered, a rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher. The umpire shall call time, declare "no-pitch" and begin play anew. If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create an illegal pitch, the umpire will penalize according to 3.6.9.

Rule 3.6.9 PENALITY (ARTS. 2 through 10)

The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.