The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Opinions please.

Finished my JV game in 1 hr 14 minutes. Thank You softball Gods. So I cruise over to the Varsity field.

R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B.
Pitcher starts her pitch, batter in a VERY loud voice says"TIME". Before anything else can happen pitcher stops her pitch. PU calls illegal pitch and advances the runners as well as awarding a ball to batter. My thinking was this was not your usual request from the batter for time but an attempt to distract the pitcher.

So after game talking to PU he was firmly in the camp of the pitcher is responsible for knowing who called time hence the illegal pitch. I presented the possibility of calling of time being a deliberate attempt to distract pitcher but he was pretty firm in his thinking.

Your thoughts on if there was handled correctly or even anyway else that this could have been handled ?
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Finished my JV game in 1 hr 14 minutes. Thank You softball Gods. So I cruise over to the Varsity field.

R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B.
Pitcher starts her pitch, batter in a VERY loud voice says"TIME". Before anything else can happen pitcher stops her pitch. PU calls illegal pitch and advances the runners as well as awarding a ball to batter. My thinking was this was not your usual request from the batter for time but an attempt to distract the pitcher.

So after game talking to PU he was firmly in the camp of the pitcher is responsible for knowing who called time hence the illegal pitch. I presented the possibility of calling of time being a deliberate attempt to distract pitcher but he was pretty firm in his thinking.

Your thoughts on if there was handled correctly or even anyway else that this could have been handled ?
The PU screwed the pooch on that call. Rule 7.3 EFFECT 2

If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. However, if the batter steps out of the box or holds up her hand to request time and the pitcher delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. If the pitch is not delivered, a rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher. The umpire shall call time, declare "no-pitch" and begin play anew. If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create an illegal pitch, the umpire will penalize according to 3.6.9.

Rule 3.6.9 PENALITY (ARTS. 2 through 10)

The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.
Old Wed Mar 19, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

agree with Michael... he pooched it. The rule is clear on this, but it does require an umpire to actually open it... unfortunately, not enough do.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
The PU screwed the pooch on that call. Rule 7.3 EFFECT 2

If the pitcher stops or hesitates in her delivery as a result of the batter stepping out of the box or holding up her hand to request time, it shall not be an illegal pitch. However, if the batter steps out of the box or holds up her hand to request time and the pitcher delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live. If the pitch is not delivered, a rule has been violated by both the batter and the pitcher. The umpire shall call time, declare "no-pitch" and begin play anew. If the umpire judges the batter's action to be a deliberate attempt to create an illegal pitch, the umpire will penalize according to 3.6.9.

Rule 3.6.9 PENALITY (ARTS. 2 through 10)

The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.
Just to be picky, 3.6.9 refers to "calling time", no verbal call mentioned in 7.3.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Just to be picky, 3.6.9 refers to "calling time", no verbal call mentioned in 7.3.
If the umpire judged the batter's actions to be a deliberate attemp to create an illegal pitch, time would be called while the umpire enforced the penalty.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
If the umpire judged the batter's actions to be a deliberate attemp to create an illegal pitch, time would be called while the umpire enforced the penalty.
I think Cecil was making the technical argument that the rule is about the batter stepping out or raising her hand, not about the batter yelling "TIME." However, that situation is covered in rule 6-4
Quote:
ART. 13 . . . No player, manager or coach shall call time or employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while the ball is live and in play for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit an illegal pitch.
PENALTY: (Art. 13) No pitch shall be declared and a warning issued to the offending team. A repeat of this type of act by the team warned shall result in the offender being restricted to the dugout/bench for the duration of the game (3-6-9).

Last edited by Dakota; Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 11:25am.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Finished my JV game in 1 hr 14 minutes. Thank You softball Gods.
Hijack:

Around these parts all JV games are 1:15 or 5 innings, whichever comes first.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Hijack:

I'm jealous. Ours are 2 hours no new inninging / 10 runs in 5 innings. I actually had a 2 hour 25 minute game that was less than 2 innings.
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
I'm jealous. Ours are 2 hours no new inninging / 10 runs in 5 innings. I actually had a 2 hour 25 minute game that was less than 2 innings.

and I bet the temp was under 45 degrees, too....

and oh yeah....sounds like a pooch here.....
Old Thu Mar 20, 2008, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
and I bet the temp was under 45 degrees, too....

and oh yeah....sounds like a pooch here.....
Nah a nice low 80's kinda day here in Northern California.

I rarely get to umpire in that kinda weather.

Did do a nighttime DH where it was drizziling and was about 55 degrees. For us thats cold.....
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I think Cecil was making the technical argument that the rule is about the batter stepping out or raising her hand, not about the batter yelling "TIME." However, that situation is covered in rule 6-4
Even better!
Old Fri Mar 21, 2008, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Hijack:

Same in this area of Texas and if the home team is ahead at 1:10, don't
start a new inning.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

JV games around here are an untimed 7 innings, unless part of a double header (possibly with a trailing varsity game) in which case they're 5 innings and usually an 1:15 time limit.

Now, the first game for my DD's JV game this season (not a double header), the game started 10 minutes early, and after the top of the fourth, with the home team up 7-2, the PU calls the game (at about 1:15). Later I found out he told the coaches there would be an 1:15 time limit at the plate meeting, which was a surprise to the home coach (and later, the AD).
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B.

Ya know, I just had a varsity coach do that today. He was definitely not trying to cause an IP - he decided late that he wanted a sub for a runner. The pitcher stopped her windup - and this made everything very easy - and he then decided he did not want a sub. He got charged for an offensive conference - and all were content.