The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Last nite I had a pitcher that was losing her edge so the coach asked for time to go to the mound. After a minute or so, he switches his pitcher and his short stop. As his new pitcher starts her warm up pitches, a girl comes out to the infield with a ball to warm up the short stop (replaced pitcher.) I made her go back to the dugout as the pitcher is the only one that needs to warm up. Coach got upset and asked to talk to me. He asked why his ss couldnt warm up. I said that the pitcher is the only one that is entitled to warm up throws. I said she has been in the game all along so why does she need to warm up? He said she has been throwing underhand all this time and needs a few overhand throws. I just smiled at him and said C'mon coach....Lets play! He was very serious and ticked the rest of the game. Ive never had this before and wonder how you all would have handled this. Should the infield be allowed to throw while the new pitcher is warming up also? DanIn
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I would usually allow it as long as it does not delay the game or the pitcher's warmups. Usually, the player or coach asks first and the courtesy gets them the permission. But you are technically correct.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Let her warm up. I understand your coach's position; a hard throw in that inning could hurt her.

I was a FP pitcher back in the early 60's and I remember that when I fielded a ball back to me (bunt or hit) I usually threw it to 1B underhanded. I had no clue where an overhand throw would go, and if I threw it hard it usually hurt.

When I work out with my granddaughter during the off season and we finish pitching and switch to some fielding drills, her first throws are always warm-up type throws. She is suddenly using different muscles that are not stretched.

WMB
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Agree here too.. Let her warm up if it doesn't delay.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Bad decisions all around....The coach should have asked you if it was all right out of courtesy. And you should have allowed the new shortstop to make a couple of throws to first.

Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 10:05am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Give a couple.

I agree.
Let her throw a couple.
( If a shortstop got run over, I'd give her a throw or two to see if she can continue.)
No rule agin it.
Being overly officious is not being compatible with coaching consciousness.

This remains a game.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Lighten up a little, Danin is new.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA

There is no rule preventing this from occuring. As long as you are ready to play ball when the pitcher has completed his/her warm ups.

Ramification if not: Rule a ball on the batter for each additional ball thrown by the shortstop after you are prepared to play ball (a la additional warm up tosses) or charge the defense with another conference. However, that may delay the game even further if thay have none available

A little preventive umpiring handles this quite well. Just as you would when one team utilizes their opponents charged conference to conduct their own, when the pitcher gets to the next to last warm up toss, a simple, but stern, "okay, lets go!" will usually do. By the time you get back behind the plate, the defense should be ready to go.

Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Forgot to welcome you Danin......Welcome aboard.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

A little different wrinkle

JV tournament today, championship game, last of the 7th, visiting pitcher has pitched a strong game and has comfortable lead, but home team is making some noise (1 run in, couple runners on base, only 1 out.

V. Coach requests time, gathers the group at pitcher. Bench player takes ball to outfield and F7 starts warming up. Partner (BU)chases catcher out; says she has to have mask. I decided that coach is stalling so we break it up and go on; the pitcher successfully finishes the game.

Question: if bench player had mask, would this action have been legal?

WMB
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

"Question: if bench player had mask, would this action have been legal?"

A mask is NOT required to warm up an outfielder. Unless she is warming up in a pitching mode, but I wouldn't allow her to warm up as a pitcher in the outfield, mask or not.

Bob
Old Mon Apr 28, 2003, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Question Are these in the book?

Are these in the book?

1) Rule a ball on the batter for each additional ball thrown by the shortstop after you are prepared to play ball (a la additional warm up tosses) or charge the defense with another conference.

2) I wouldn't allow her to warm up as a pitcher in the outfield
Old Mon Apr 28, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Re: Are these in the book?

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Are these in the book?

1) Rule a ball on the batter for each additional ball thrown by the shortstop after you are prepared to play ball (a la additional warm up tosses) or charge the defense with another conference.

Speaking ASA.

This is a stretch on the wording of the rule. The rule never specifically states that the pitcher must be the player taking the warm-up pitches, or that they must be thrown to the catcher, or that they must be from the pitcher's plate or they must be underhand. So, basically, what you really have is a one-minute suspension of play for the defense to prepare for the due batter.