The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
POS already makes one!! I have one, does that say anything???

http://www.pluspos.com/product.asp?which=261
Maybe I need one of those Dave...and I hope to find a giant print rule book as well...

Hey Ump, it's written right here...

Hold on coach, I have my own rule book!!!
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

You can always get a pair of no-line bifocal sunglasses... they won't be able to tell that they aren't just regular sunglasses! (They might begin to wonder when you wear sunglasses under the lights, though!)

BTW, messing with your eyes with a laser is a one-shot deal. I surely hope you are discussing ALL of these issues with your Dr. In addition to the near vs distance issue, there is the vision under the lights issue and the binocular vision (depth perception) issue.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Now

Just who/what sez I have to see anything? I just have to call 'em.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
... but because of a fogging problem from time to time ...
Try this stuff here. Funny name, but it works great for eliminating fogging on glasses. Also works great on goggles (workshop, skiing, hunting, swimming, etc). You can usually find it in sporting goods stores, usually near the sunglasses or skiing stuff for about $4 a container.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Try this stuff here. Funny name, but it works great for eliminating fogging on glasses. Also works great on goggles (workshop, skiing, hunting, swimming, etc). You can usually find it in sporting goods stores, usually near the sunglasses or skiing stuff for about $4 a container.
Somehow, the thought of putting cat crap near my eyes is very disconcerting.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

A slight hijack.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
POS already makes one!! I have one, does that say anything???

http://www.pluspos.com/product.asp?which=261
I have been told by several veterans (whose opinions I respect) in my area that one of the "little" things that makes you appear to be a better umpire is not constantly looking at your indicator for the count, outs, or clearing it after a play. Several of these umpires have taken a file and carved a notch in the wheels at the zero point so that they can clear their indicator without looking at it.

I don't know how prevalent this philosophy is in other areas, but I have heard it from enough different people that I try to follow it.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I have been told by several veterans (whose opinions I respect) in my area that one of the "little" things that makes you appear to be a better umpire is not constantly looking at your indicator for the count, outs, or clearing it after a play. Several of these umpires have taken a file and carved a notch in the wheels at the zero point so that they can clear their indicator without looking at it.

I don't know how prevalent this philosophy is in other areas, but I have heard it from enough different people that I try to follow it.
Is this from the Louis Carroll school of umpiring? You're required to carry an indicator, but you're not allowed to look at it?

I don't doubt that you're correct, it just seems a bit nutty.

Quote:
`How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
`You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
You can always get a pair of no-line bifocal sunglasses... they won't be able to tell that they aren't just regular sunglasses! (They might begin to wonder when you wear sunglasses under the lights, though!)

BTW, messing with your eyes with a laser is a one-shot deal. I surely hope you are discussing ALL of these issues with your Dr. In addition to the near vs distance issue, there is the vision under the lights issue and the binocular vision (depth perception) issue.
Hi Dakota,

I want to thank you and all the umpires for the good imput and advice. And for all the good threads I am catching up on. You guys are great and I'm thankful to have access to this site.

My Eye Dr. asked me what was the most important thing I am looking to acheive from Lasik surgery...and I told him I do some umpiring and I want the very best sight for distance, but not if it would hinder calling balls and strikes. That's when he said in my case, since my non dominant eye has only a slight astigmatism and does not need too much correction the mono vision option may be the way to go since it wouldn't take much away from my distance yet it would allow much clearer vision up close for reading. He seems to think I would be happier with the mono correction. As far as the lights he said my pupils are big and halo's would most likely be a non issue. I will ask him about depth perception, but I think that's something that just takes a little time to get use to. Thanks, ...Al
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with learning how to become part of your indicator. OTOH, there is nothing wrong with checking a tool of the trade to make sure you have properly reset your indicator. One of the first things I tell new umpires is to get an indicator, go home and sit in front of the TV watching a baseball game with an indicator in the left hand. Try to keep count with the HP umpire without constantly looking at the indicator.

And I suggest you learn to read it from an arm's length. Nothing tips off the teams and evaluators to a rookie quicker than the umpire frequently bringing the indicator up to eye-level.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
...I will ask him about depth perception, but I think that's something that just takes a little time to get use to. Thanks, ...Al
As I understand the physiology of depth perception, we use the slightly different perspective of our two eyes to judge distance (have you ever seen the old Viewmaster child's 3D viewer? It works because each eye is looking at a slightly different picture). If you have one eye that can see distance and another that can see close, then maybe depth perception will be a problem. But, I'm no expert in this stuff...
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have taken the notch idea one step further. I take a black sharpie and put marks that equal the number that is showing. This way, the count is showing without having to open the palm of my hand. I just glance down at the top of my hand. This why I like to use an indicator that has white ball and strike wheels on the top.

This also helps at night, when the numbers are more difficult to see.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And I suggest you learn to read it from an arm's length. Nothing tips off the teams and evaluators to a rookie quicker than the umpire frequently bringing the indicator up to eye-level.
Heck, Mike, I'd need my reading glasses to be able to read the indicater closer than arm's length!
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
There is nothing wrong with learning how to become part of your indicator. OTOH, there is nothing wrong with checking a tool of the trade to make sure you have properly reset your indicator. One of the first things I tell new umpires is to get an indicator, go home and sit in front of the TV watching a baseball game with an indicator in the left hand. Try to keep count with the HP umpire without constantly looking at the indicator.

Another tip: Try adjusting your mask with your left hand. It's a great way to look at your indicator without being obvious.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
Another tip: Try adjusting your mask with your left hand. It's a great way to look at your indicator without being obvious.
For FP umpires
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
My problem was slightly different. I developed early-onset cataracts in both eyes. (Apparently, it's yet another adverse side effect of chemotherapy. ) Surgery to insert artificial lenses was not optional -- it was required. I had the operations about six months apart, and chose to have the left focused for distance and the right focused for reading. (I went against the surgeon's recommendation. He wanted to set them both for distance and have me use reading glasses.)

I'm glad I did it my way. The amazing human brain filters out the fuzzy signal and keeps the good signal. I'm 20/20 to 20/30, depending on the distance. I have glasses, but use them mainly for watching TV, because it helps me read the scores and the "crawl" at the bottom of the screen. Like debeau, I now have a nice assortment of sunglasses.

A side note. The day before my first surgery I did a doubleheader for a D-III team visiting Pensacola from Nebraska on an early-season southern road trip. They were a nice team with a really friendly and funny coach. Naturally, I was wearing glasses. The next morning I had outpatient surgery. I went by the field that evening (wearing a patch over the eye) and happened to run into the Nebraska coach. I told him that he could truthfully tell people that he once had an umpire that was so blind that he needed eye surgery the next day.