The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

I dont think I have the mental power for that. I have a hard enough time remembering if I clicked my clicker if something happens between pitches.. let alone remember what the count was before what happened happened. Might be OK at some top level where they track it on the score board and there are 3-4 umpires... but even then I'd have trouble probably.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I did the LASIK in '05 and it has been the best money I have ever spent! I did have to break down this year and get reading glasses. The surgery took about 20 including setup. I could see immediately, but it was sort of like opening your eyes underwater. I took a nap (doc's orders) and 3 hours later - WHAM - perfect vision! I was back at work the next day. My surgery was done on Jan. 6 in '05 during basketball and I was on the court again on the 13th. My doc didn't want to risk me taking a shot to the head before it was healed. I'd probably not do it during softball because a head-shot is inevitable. My cost was $1600 and I've gone back for periodic problems - dry or itching eyes and not paid another dime. The dry eyes is a problem - but not a big enough problem to not get the surgery. I would do it again tomorrow.

I am a little bit more light sensitive - even on some cloudy days. I always wear wrap around sunglasses even behind the plate. (During the first year I did have to wear sunglasses at night occasionally due to the car lights.) I haven't had any problems umpiring at night except the first season during some early college games - cold air blowing.

It's awesome not to have to put contacts in, or clean glasses all the time, or find them at night to go to the bathroom, or "insert any problem you have with glasses or contacts here". Feel free to pm me if you have some specific questions. If you are seriously going to do it, pm me and give me a number and I'll talk you through everything you can expect. That was important in getting through mine. I hope this helps.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
I know several DI CWS and regional umpires that do not use an indicator. They say it forces them to maintain focus.

I know that I could not do that yet. But I try to not look at my indicator much.
With all due respect to your colleagues, if an umpire reaches that level, you would think they could maintain focus in a game even with an indicator in their hand.

I have tried going without an indicator. I found that I was concentrating so hard to keep the count, I was not paying attention to other detail which were normally second nature. I went back to the indicator halfway through the game.

An indicator is a tool of the trade and I can see no reason an umpire shouldn't use every available tool to which they have access.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
With all due respect to your colleagues, if an umpire reaches that level, you would think they could maintain focus in a game even with an indicator in their hand.

I have tried going without an indicator. I found that I was concentrating so hard to keep the count, I was not paying attention to other detail which were normally second nature. I went back to the indicator halfway through the game.

An indicator is a tool of the trade and I can see no reason an umpire shouldn't use every available tool to which they have access.
I agree. I have gone games without using an indicator, and found much the same. I use one and seldom find the need to check it.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
I know several DI CWS and regional umpires that do not use an indicator. They say it forces them to maintain focus.

I know that I could not do that yet. But I try to not look at my indicator much.
Seems to be quite a contradiction. It is constantly impressed on us, as NCAA umpires, that the NCAA Umpire Manual is our bible, and must be followed at all times. Our bible says:

"• Ball/strike indicator – must be used on plate and bases"

So, by their statement, they should not be CWS or Regional umpires, since they choose to disregard the manual requirement.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

How did a thread about Lasik surgery become a discussion about the ball/strike indicator?
Sam
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Hello everyone.

I wear glasses and I correct to 20/20 or slightly better with them, but because of a fogging problem from time to time I'm thinking of getting Lasik surgery. I'm nearsighted with some astigmatism so I know I will need to wear reading glasses if I do get the Lasik surgery. As far as contac lenses go... I have tried to wear them but they bother my eyes too much. I was wondering if anyone who is nearsighted has had lasik eye surgery and if their vision is negatively affected at the distance that's required from behind the plate. Thanks for any feedback.

Can't wait to late March to get back at the ole' ball park. ... Al
Hello Al, I didn't read through all the replies so the following info may have already come you way.

I needed glasses to correct to 20/20 and also had a fogging problem from time to time. At the time I was a police officer working street patrol and occasionally when going indoors from outside my glasses would fog. I purchased an anti fogging paste from a vender at a local fair and it worked great. Every night before I started my shift I would clean my glasses with the paste ... no fogging the entire shift.

I also tried contacts but it didn't work out.

About 2 years ago I had LASIK performed on both eyes. I was nearsighted and also had significant astigmatism in my left eye. The results are wonderful. I do not need reading glasses. The only problem is a bit of double vision in the left eye at night while looking at a bright light (like a traffic signal) and that problem is still improving.

If LASIK is an option for you it will probably be well worth your while.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by U of M Sam
How did a thread about Lasik surgery become a discussion about the ball/strike indicator?
Sam
It didn't, we're just multi-tasking.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2006, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
It didn't, we're just multi-tasking.
OK - I can now see clearly (poor attempt at humor)
Sam
Old Mon Dec 18, 2006, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
Hello Al, I didn't read through all the replies so the following info may have already come you way.

I needed glasses to correct to 20/20 and also had a fogging problem from time to time. At the time I was a police officer working street patrol and occasionally when going indoors from outside my glasses would fog. I purchased an anti fogging paste from a vender at a local fair and it worked great. Every night before I started my shift I would clean my glasses with the paste ... no fogging the entire shift.

I also tried contacts but it didn't work out.

About 2 years ago I had LASIK performed on both eyes. I was nearsighted and also had significant astigmatism in my left eye. The results are wonderful. I do not need reading glasses. The only problem is a bit of double vision in the left eye at night while looking at a bright light (like a traffic signal) and that problem is still improving.

If LASIK is an option for you it will probably be well worth your while.

Thanks Jmaellis,

There were several that said they are well pleased with the results they got with Lasik surgery. There were a couple of the guys that mentioned different helps for fogging. One method was to put a little dish washing detergent on the lenses then wiping it off with a paper towel, and another was using a product called cat crap...I kid you not that is the brand-name of the product. There's a link provided about the product.

I talked to my doctor again and still can't decide what to do. I guess I am still on the fence for a while. But I've not heard one horror story from anyone that's gone through with the Lasik surgery, only minor problems such as you have. Take care, ..Al