The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 29, 2005, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Another blurb from Rollie article...

"With another passed ball zinging by, R3 could not resist the temptation to score. But R3 was unsuccessful, sad to say while R2 had just rounded third base. F4 and F6 were also in the vicinity, congratulating themselves with the out on R3, when F5 saw R2's unauthorized ambition. F5, possessing a pretty good arm, threw toward third base as if he wanted the ball to reach first. Two gloves went up, right next to each other, like twins waiting to be born. Pop! R2 dived back toward third base. F6 like an arrow taged R2 while F4 chose unsuccessfully to tag R2's hands frantically reaching for the bag. R2 looked safe at the bag. But wait: Which glove had the ball?

"SAAA........." You know what I started to say, as I began to raise both arms at my side. But I changed my mind. "SAY," adding a dramatic pause, "who's got the ball?"

He is writing to "help" us be better umpires. Yeah here is a prime example of poor timing with a CYA. I don't know why I punish myself with his stuff. Maybe I keep grapsing for something good.

I'm still trying to figure out what the size of the infield has to do with umpiring. I asked a buddy that went to Evans last year if he knew. Not something covered by them. I guess Evans is falling short since I paid for it here.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 07:48pm
etihwsamoht

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1

"With another passed ball zinging by, R3 could not resist the temptation to score. But R3 was unsuccessful, sad to say while R2 had just rounded third base. F4 and F6 were also in the vicinity, congratulating themselves with the out on R3, when F5 saw R2's unauthorized ambition. F5, possessing a pretty good arm, threw toward third base as if he wanted the ball to reach first. Two gloves went up, right next to each other, like twins waiting to be born. Pop! R2 dived back toward third base. F6 like an arrow taged R2 while F4 chose unsuccessfully to tag R2's hands frantically reaching for the bag. R2 looked safe at the bag. But wait: Which glove had the ball?

"SAAA........." You know what I started to say, as I began to raise both arms at my side. But I changed my mind. "SAY," adding a dramatic pause, "who's got the ball?"

He is writing to "help" us be better umpires. Yeah here is a prime example of poor timing with a CYA. I don't know why I punish myself with his stuff. Maybe I keep grapsing for something good.

I'm still trying to figure out what the size of the infield has to do with umpiring. I asked a buddy that went to Evans last year if he knew. Not something covered by them. I guess Evans is falling short since I paid for it here.
Ever here of mechanics? You think the size of the field which is indicative of the capabilities of the players has nothing to do with the game?

Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Do yourself a favor...stop reading. It won't get better and your head will hurt even more.

Reading Rollicking Rollie is like slamming your hand in the car door on purpose. About the only thing you learn is not to do it again.

[Edited by GarthB on Dec 12th, 2005 at 08:00 PM]
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:

I haven't read his latest masterpiece, is it possible that he is saying, "Don't screw up like me"?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Now Garth, it will get better - sort of.

See, Rollie and I are writing articles about the same thing. You can read Rollie's, then after your headache goes away, you can read mine and lern something. Then, this Friday, I get to tear apart Rollie's masterpiece.

BTW, I really think you will like my article today. It does actually teach something. Or at least try to.