Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Unhappy Hey Ump are you blind?

Hello everyone.

I wear glasses and I correct to 20/20 or slightly better with them, but because of a fogging problem from time to time I'm thinking of getting Lasik surgery. I'm nearsighted with some astigmatism so I know I will need to wear reading glasses if I do get the Lasik surgery. As far as contac lenses go... I have tried to wear them but they bother my eyes too much. I was wondering if anyone who is nearsighted has had lasik eye surgery and if their vision is negatively affected at the distance that's required from behind the plate. Thanks for any feedback.

Can't wait to late March to get back at the ole' ball park. ... Al

Last edited by Al; Fri Dec 08, 2006 at 09:03pm.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Word to the wise...

If you fix your blindness, we'll have to kick you out of the umpires club.

Im sorry, its a little harsh, but thems the rules.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

You have just reminded me how much I have missed this board.

It's just the perception of being blind that I'm concerned about as people see me cleaning the fog off my glasses... especially if I just finished making a call that was close! I'm just joking of course! ..Al
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 04:37am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I call the mens game at the top level in New Zealand
I had lasik surgery 2 years ago and was the same as you near sighted with asitgmatism .
I dont need any reading glasses and can see very clearly .
I would reccommend to anyone to get this surgery done .
It not only gives you better eyesight but gives you confidence in all walks of life .
Well it did to me .
Best money I have ever spent .
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Debeau,

It sounds like you have chosen the mono-vision option, where one eye is corrected for close and the other for distance. The doctor said my distance vision would be only slightly compromised with the mono-vision option. He said if I choose to correct both eyes for distance my close range vision would be much more compromised and without reading glasses I would have a difficult time reading small print like that of a newspaper. Wearing reading glasses doesn't bother me, but I can't wear them on the ball field. So what I am concerned about is how I would see from the range behind the plate when calling balls and strikes if I correct both eyes for distance?

Strike three...yer out!

Wait a minute Ump, how could that be a strike it hit the the on deck batter???

Sorry, I forgot to put my reading glasses on...
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Damned if I know what surgery I had but it is good .
Think how many umps need reading glasses and dont use them on the diamond so I dont think it will effect your calling (well hopefully it will improve)
At least I dont get the comment
" Hey blue are your glasses fogged up"
HOWEVER I find after wearing glasses for 45 years and not being able to wear "fasion" sunglasses until the last 2 years I have a thing for sunglasses and have about ten pairs .
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Good info about eye surgery. What is basic overall cost? Recovery time? Eyes sensitive to light after surgery? Any follow up visits?
Thank you,
Sam
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

I know people who have had this surgery including umpires. There are no guarantees. One guy can see better during the day, but has problems under the lights.

Others have had complete success while one individual swears it helped only a little inspite of what the doctor says.

Personally, I have an astigmatism and this is the first year I have worn glasses full time. While I was expecting a fair amount of ribbing on and off the field from players and coaches, not one word was said to me the entire year by a player, coach or fan.

Guess they figured I was just as bad with them as without so any comments would be a waste of time
Old Sat Dec 09, 2006, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U of M Sam
Good info about eye surgery. What is basic overall cost? Recovery time? Eyes sensitive to light after surgery? Any follow up visits?
Thank you,
Sam
Hey Sam,

The cost per eye where I was thinking of having it done is a flat $2,000 per eye, which includes follow ups. I think there are two follow ups. One in a few months and one a year later. If any tweaking is needed it is also included in his fee. I have been given quotes from two other doctors that are both about a two hour drive from my home. Both gave me a less expensive quote. The lowest one was out of Nashville TN. and depending on the amount of correction needed had a top charge per eye of $1,600 and a minium charge of $700. All of the Lasik surgery I have quoted is for (custom view, which is suppose to be top of the line) However, those two lower quotes were made on the phone so I really don't know for sure if there would be some other costs explained to me once I got there. You know the old bait and switch type of thing. Problems are very rare. but as with any surgery there could be complications. But if all goes well there is very little recovery time. The Dr. said most of his people go to work the next day. As far as night vision goes... some people (with small pupils) may get some halos around lights. After all the tests the Dr. said in my case halos should not accur and my night vision would most likely be improved vs. regular glasses. ...

I guess the cost is a little high... but buying new glasses every couple of years or so with the eye exams and all isn't cheap either. ... Al
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Cost here in New Zealand was $4500 for both eyes so do your maths re exchange rate .
I do notice I have a little difficulty seeing really well or reading under dull light .
Had a halo problem for about 3 months but now is all fine .
Cost just wasnt an option .
To wake up and see properly without glasses and see my grandkids when the visit and jump all over me was worth the cost .
Dont regret the cost one bit .
Old Sun Dec 10, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I had Lasik 3 years ago and it is great. I got both eyes corrected for distance and do have to wear reading glasses. Only problem is reading my indicator up close.
I also wear sun glasses. Sometimes they do fog up behinfd the plate but I was told about a fix that really works:
Take a very small amount of dish washing detergent and rub it on the lenses, then wipe it off with a dry paper towel. That slight coating doesn't effect your visoin as all but does prevent the fogging.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
I had Lasik 3 years ago and it is great. I got both eyes corrected for distance and do have to wear reading glasses. Only problem is reading my indicator up close.
I also wear sun glasses. Sometimes they do fog up behinfd the plate but I was told about a fix that really works:
Take a very small amount of dish washing detergent and rub it on the lenses, then wipe it off with a dry paper towel. That slight coating doesn't effect your visoin as all but does prevent the fogging.
Thanks bigsig,

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I want the very best possible correction for distance, as long as I can see well enough at the distance required behind the plate to catch the corners ect. especially if umpiring baseball. I really won't mind needing reading glasses for small print up close. And I'm sure I will be able to read my indicator when not held too close. And thanks for the information about the dish washing detergent. I'll try that too. On someone's advice I tried cleaning my glasses with shaving cream which seemed to help some but only for a short period of time.

Nothin like fun at the ole' ball park! ...Al
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Thanks bigsig,

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I want the very best possible correction for distance, as long as I can see well enough at the distance required behind the plate to catch the corners ect.
I think there might be a difference in the understanding of the term "distance". If you cannot see the outside corners of the plate, you may need more than surgery, like say maybe a cane.

Quote:
I really won't mind needing reading glasses for small print up close. And I'm sure I will be able to read my indicator when not held too close.
I'm surprised someone hasn't developed an indicator in braille.

However, back to the reading glasses. If one was concerned about a reaction by the teams, I'd rather wear glasses/contacts full-time than deal with the need to pull out a pair of reading glasses every time there was the need to make a line-up change or read the rule when the coach brings the book onto the field Oh boy, here we go.......
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

POS already makes one!! I have one, does that say anything???

http://www.pluspos.com/product.asp?which=261
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I think there might be a difference in the understanding of the term "distance". If you cannot see the outside corners of the plate, you may need more than surgery, like say maybe a cane.

I'm surprised someone hasn't developed an indicator in braille.

However, back to the reading glasses. If one was concerned about a reaction by the teams, I'd rather wear glasses/contacts full-time than deal with the need to pull out a pair of reading glasses every time there was the need to make a line-up change or read the rule when the coach brings the book onto the field Oh boy, here we go.......
Hey Mike,

When I said "catch the corners" I meant to see the ball clearly enough so as to have a good clear view of where the ball was when it started to pass over the plate.

You make a good point about the line up card and reading the rule book on the field. Since my regular glasses are bi-focals I've never had any problems reading my rule book, or anything with small print. But if I try to read the small print of the USSA rule book without looking through the reading lens of my glasses it's fairly difficult because I have to hold the book at a distance. This of couse is something that I don't want to happen on the field, especially if there is a heated situation going on with a coach. I'm not really sure what coaches, or anyone else, for that matter may think if they see a umpire needs glasses to read a rule book... Maybe that mono-vision (one eye for close, one for distance) is a better option. Thanks, ...Al