View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I have been told by several veterans (whose opinions I respect) in my area that one of the "little" things that makes you appear to be a better umpire is not constantly looking at your indicator for the count, outs, or clearing it after a play. Several of these umpires have taken a file and carved a notch in the wheels at the zero point so that they can clear their indicator without looking at it.
There is nothing wrong with learning how to become part of your indicator. OTOH, there is nothing wrong with checking a tool of the trade to make sure you have properly reset your indicator. One of the first things I tell new umpires is to get an indicator, go home and sit in front of the TV watching a baseball game with an indicator in the left hand. Try to keep count with the HP umpire without constantly looking at the indicator.

And I suggest you learn to read it from an arm's length. Nothing tips off the teams and evaluators to a rookie quicker than the umpire frequently bringing the indicator up to eye-level.