The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

re

[QUOTE=mcrowder]As rarely as possible. [QUOTE]

I agree with mcrowder here. I rarely call time.

I am also not going to call someone out for technically lifting their leg off the base while adjusting their sock and if I am plate and I see the pitcher put the ball down to adjust her hair (or something similiar), I will call time so that the catcher and batter can hear me.

I am a strong proponent of the quick time on the pick off play (as long as the ball is caught and there are no other runners going anywhere). That way, you don't that caught in a situation where a runner, who was already back to the base, either gets up and looses contact or gets pushed off the bag by a defensive player. Just got to be careful not to come up with that time and get caught with another runner trying to grab another base.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Regional 18A Qualifier held this past weekend. R1 slides into third; PU (me) hustles down to make the call, runner is safe. F5 throws the ball to F1.

Coach "Time!". PU ignores, starts back to plate area. Runner has already stood back up, and is dusting herself off.

Coach "Time". PU "Why?" Coach "Can't I have time?" PU "Time!".

Coach to player "See; I told you he had to give me time". PU "That's your conference for this inning, Coach".

Silence; didn't ask again.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

When I call ASA SP games, I almost always call time when 'all immediate play is apparently completed'. That is, I wait until runners have stopped running and are at their respective bases, and the ball is controlled by the defense in the infield, in the vicinity of the pitching rubber. (or where the circle would be) Many times, I have had the defense throw the ball away, or drop it, etc. and the runners used those opportunities to try and advance. If I had called time prior to those plays being completed, then I'd would've denied the offense those opportunities. I give both the offense and the defense the opportunity to make plays, and when they're both done, I call time loud and clear to make it clear that I consider all immediate play to have ended. This helps me to keep control of the games.

Last month, I had an R1 about 15 feet down the 3B line when the ball originally hit to right field was thrown to F4 in the infield. F4 kept calling for time, which I did not grant until the defense played the ball toward R1, who then returned to 3B. F4 could not understand why I would not give him time immediately, when he first requested it.

I had another recent game where the defense had chronic trouble getting the relay throws back in to the F1, and several runners took extra bases, as play had not ended. F1 became exasperated and swiped at one throw to him, he ended up knocking the ball away from him, resulting in still more runners advancing.

I have told teams in some games that when I am returning behind the plate and my back is to the infield, that time is 'implied' and all immediate play is considered to have been completed.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

At this time in my umpiring career, I only do SP. Whenever play has stopped and the defense had control of the ball (doesn't have to be in the infield or near the pitchers rubber), I call "TIME" with my hands raised above my head. Am I wrong? Not according to all clinics and schools I've attended nor by the book. I'm going to have to reread that section in the book before doing my first FP game which will be in the next few weeks.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot

I have told teams in some games that when I am returning behind the plate and my back is to the infield, that time is 'implied' and all immediate play is considered to have been completed.
Why? In SP, you are supposed to call time. If not, you are not doing your job.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
At this time in my umpiring career, I only do SP. Whenever play has stopped and the defense had control of the ball (doesn't have to be in the infield or near the pitchers rubber), I call "TIME" with my hands raised above my head. Am I wrong? Not according to all clinics and schools I've attended nor by the book. I'm going to have to reread that section in the book before doing my first FP game which will be in the next few weeks.
Speaking ASA

Your mechanic is correct, but according to every clinic and school I've attended in my career, the ball should always be in the area usually covered by an infielder while in the possession of a defender.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
Well, you and I are opposites in the SP / FP thing. I only do FP.

I won't speak to your SP question except to say from what I have picked up on these boards, no, you are not wrong.

In FP, the ball should not be killed merely because play has stopped. Mike sometimes argues that it makes little sense to keep the ball live after the LBR is in effect and all runners have stopped on a base (see above in this thread for the most recent example). But, the FP rules do not require the umpire to kill the ball then, and he should not. See Cecil's thread called something like "The Advantages of Paying Attention" for one of the examples of an umpire getting himself into trouble by killing the ball too quickly in the FP game.

Unless there is a playing-action reason to kill the ball (foul, ball out of play, etc.) or unless someone requests TIME, I will not kill the ball in a FP game unless I need to tend to some away-from-the-game duties (e.g. answering a coach's question, brushing the plate, etc.). If some runner wants to give herself up by stepping off the base, who am I to stop her?

Last edited by Dakota; Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 08:04am.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Rant on, Don Quixote. Tell you what; I will buy you all the beer you can drink at every ASA National Council Meeting and National UIC Clinic every year your version is an approved fastpitch mechanic (call time whenever no active play) and/or rule (no LBR), and you buy the beer at every one where it isn't.

Wooohooo!! Free beer for me for life!!
Never said it would happen, but I'm still waiting for a good reason time shouldn't be called.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I know I'll get ridiculed for this - but I call time every opportunity! If the play is stopped and in the circle and runners on bases - I kill it. I don't want anything happening at this point. If something goes on at that point it's gonna be a headache or someone is going to be put out. Just the way I was taught.
Questioned, maybe. Not ridiculed. (I don't know you well enough to ridicule you without it appearing to be a flame... hang around, it'll happen! )

My question: Why do you consider an out for a player violating the LBR to be a headache? 1 down, 41 to go!

In the one-man game, it IS a PITA to deal with runners, LBR, etc. while returning behind the plate. I have generally been able to keep my eye on the field while returning to position, and don't call TIME. In the 2-man game, there is no reason at all to call TIME while returning to position.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
... I'm still waiting for a good reason time shouldn't be called.
1 down, 41 to go.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
... snip ... See Cecil's thread called something like "The Advantages of Paying Attention" for one of the examples of an umpire getting himself into trouble by killing the ball too quickly in the FP game.
...snip ...
Did you misunderstand my example in that topic which showed that the umpire was correct because of not killing the play?
Not "getting himself into trouble", just the opposite.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Did you misunderstand my example in that topic which showed that the umpire was correct because of not killing the play?
Not "getting himself into trouble", just the opposite.
Yes. I read your example #1 being that the PU called TIME and did NOT call the OUT. That is ONE situation where Mike would have the umpire do just that (if I understand his position correctly).
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Yes. I read your example #1 being that the PU called TIME and did NOT call the OUT. That is ONE situation where Mike would have the umpire do just that (if I understand his position correctly).
No, Mike (and SP in general) would still want the ump to wait for the runner to give up moving.

I guess I better clarify that other topic with :
"the umpire paid attention and did not kill the play prematurely, so she was out!. Not lookibg for a "gotcha", just applying the rule to a true case of its intent. "

Last edited by CecilOne; Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 08:21am.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Never said it would happen, but I'm still waiting for a good reason time shouldn't be called.
Because the game is in progress.
And the runners are not out of breath.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
And the runners are not out of breath.
What about the umpire??