View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

When I call ASA SP games, I almost always call time when 'all immediate play is apparently completed'. That is, I wait until runners have stopped running and are at their respective bases, and the ball is controlled by the defense in the infield, in the vicinity of the pitching rubber. (or where the circle would be) Many times, I have had the defense throw the ball away, or drop it, etc. and the runners used those opportunities to try and advance. If I had called time prior to those plays being completed, then I'd would've denied the offense those opportunities. I give both the offense and the defense the opportunity to make plays, and when they're both done, I call time loud and clear to make it clear that I consider all immediate play to have ended. This helps me to keep control of the games.

Last month, I had an R1 about 15 feet down the 3B line when the ball originally hit to right field was thrown to F4 in the infield. F4 kept calling for time, which I did not grant until the defense played the ball toward R1, who then returned to 3B. F4 could not understand why I would not give him time immediately, when he first requested it.

I had another recent game where the defense had chronic trouble getting the relay throws back in to the F1, and several runners took extra bases, as play had not ended. F1 became exasperated and swiped at one throw to him, he ended up knocking the ball away from him, resulting in still more runners advancing.

I have told teams in some games that when I am returning behind the plate and my back is to the infield, that time is 'implied' and all immediate play is considered to have been completed.