The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Why? In SP, you are supposed to call time. If not, you are not doing your job.
Because sometimes, some defensive players have not heard me call time for some reason. So I tell them that if they see me returning to go behind the plate, then time must be out.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Because the game is in progress.
No more or less than the SP game. By rule, nothing can or is supposed to happen, so what difference does it make?

If anything, it is going to move the "game in progress" along as one partner doesn't need to wait for the other to get into place prior to moving themselves.

Still waiting for a good reason.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Questioned, maybe. Not ridiculed. (I don't know you well enough to ridicule you without it appearing to be a flame... hang around, it'll happen! )
Feel free to ridicule! I know you don't know me well but I can promise you I can take it as well as I can dish it out. Heck, I'm a sports official - if I'm thin skinned then I need to find a different hobby!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Still waiting for a good reason.
You didn't like the possibility of 1 of 42?
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Never said it would happen, but I'm still waiting for a good reason time shouldn't be called.
HERETIC!

Last edited by scottk_61; Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 02:15pm.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
HERETIC!

Well, I see the Spanish Inquisition has checked in.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/paulfitz/spanish/t2.html
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for making my day brighter.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
scottk_61
I thought I saw you logged in earlier or yesterday. How are you doing?
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I thought I saw you logged in earlier or yesterday. How are you doing?
Surviving is about all.
I am very tired all the time and too weak to do almost anything.
Still looking for that right doctor who can help me out.
The aneurysm has grown, the valves are leaking etc etc.
I need a major tune up and probably need my tires rotated too.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What inquisition?
I just thought it prudent to warn the uniniated to the dangers of listening to a slow pitch guru.

Hope you are doing well Mike.
Old Tue Jun 27, 2006, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
Hope you are doing well Mike.
I'm doing fine. My knees, ankles, feet and back are another story.

You take care. Gotta be someone out there that can help
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why not call time? Some on this board are aware of my feelings. I believe FP should take from the SP game. Eliminate the LBR and call time when it is obvious all further play, offensive or defensive, is complete.

There is no good reason, other than to steal a cheap out, to keep the ball live. If play is suspended, the umpire, coaches, players, parents, etc. do not have to worry about a runner inadvertantly stepping off a base, the pitcher putting the ball between her knees to fix her hair, the drawing of a circle, whether the foot is on the circle or just outside of it, whether the runner leaned toward 2B when returning to 1B or not, yada, yada, yada.

Oooohh, but what if the runner refuses to go one way or the other and just stands there? You do the same as in SP, kill the play and reset for the next pitch. Don't give me all the old school "what ifs" because they are irrelevant to my opinion and since this is my post and rant, it's the only one that counts.

I agree with this.. especially timed tourneys.. I speed up by calling time so we dont have to wait for the outfielder to slowly walk the ball in and other crap.

When all play is stopped.. I call time and say "ok throw the ball in lets go"...
At a play at the base I also call time when the play is over so they dont stand there holding their mit on the runner hoping for some cheap out. "Time - you can get up".. thats the end of it.

I been working a bunch of little ball lately and the thing about baseball I hate is how much time is wasted on BS. I recently had a pitcher throw the ball to first base 10-12 times in a row. I later found out the runner and pitcher had a feud going on. Thats 5-7 minutes of my life I'll never get back...

In the sitch above though.. if the runner was off the bag.. then I wouldnt call time because the runner is still "in play"..

I do call time when its all over, but if play is still on going I dont call or grant time.

Mens FP is real quick to try to call time when its unwarranted.. This weekend I had a situation with a play at first and overthrow and the runner started to advance.. but the ball bounced back to the 1basemen .. so he yelled time.. luckily he made it back and I didnt have to listen to him boohooo (as men in C Div love to cry) about how he had "time" as he was tagged out.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I agree with this.. especially timed tourneys.. I speed up by calling time so we dont have to wait for the outfielder to slowly walk the ball in and other crap.

When all play is stopped.. I call time and say "ok throw the ball in lets go"...
I don't agree with this philosophy at all. It is the player's game. Especially in a timed game, however they want to spend the time is their choice. The game does not end sooner because of these time outs. You may get a few more at-bats, but that is about it. OTOH, you dumb down the game by removing the requirement that the outfielders actually be able to throw the ball in to someone who will catch it. JMO.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I agree with those explaining 'time' called by the umpire at the right time can save a lot of time during a game.(Urgh.. three times.. the word time! )
Here in Europe there is a strange philosophy tuned on the 'something could still happen!' wave...
I often see umpires that FORCE the players to throw the ball to the pitcher in the circle BEFORE they can grant time to the defense...
Does this make sense to anybody out there?

Thanks
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

The idea that LBR outs or that outs on a play where the runner fails to maintain contact with a base after a play are cheap outs is just plain wrong. We are all calling our game by the rules that we have and the players need to play by those rules. If I deem that the defense caused the runner to lose contact, I don't call the out but if a player can't keep her hand or foot on a base when she is being contacted by a defensive player with the ball, that is just her problem HHUU. There is nothing cheap about it. I personally think a game without time being called after every play moves along faster because the girls get the ball to the circle to stop play.

BTW I do FP only (for the moment) Will be doing Modified in the fall.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"