The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Bigger Strike Zone

I found that when I have expanded my strike zone out by one to two balls, but kept my same rigid must be the knee and armpit requirement that coaches and players seam to get along with my zone much easier. This is the zone taught at the National ASA School I attended this spring. When the instructors were teaching this expanded zone I was naturally hesitant to believe coaches and players would accept it, but they sure have. With this new and improved zone, my games have gone much faster and easier. Who'd a thunk it?

Bugg
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
WRT "expanded my strike zone out by one to two balls"
from where?
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking that this "expansion" would apply
mainly to inside pitches between the waist and knees ??
I agree that you can "move a game along" by getting
away from the bread box strike zone !
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

To clarify my original zone was any part of the ball over the plate. The expanded zone is any ball that is within one to two balls width over the plate. in effect expanding the plate out and in by about two ball widths. Like I said both coaches and players don't seam to mind. I also use this expanded zone in slow pitch, soon the standers become swingers -- again no complaints.

Bugg
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Honestly, a good number of players and coaches could care less where the strike zone is as long as you keep it consistent. Big or small, high or low, as long as you keep it there the whole game there shouldn't be many problems. If there is, then you are probably dealing with a coach that would have a problem no matter what you did.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, everyone can see up and down but only me and the catcher can tell if it was right or left, and she ain't telling!! I found that it works real well, and there are no complaints.....well I had one girl look at her coach on a called strike she thought was outside and he looked at her and said "Come on you got to get that, we want those called when were pitchin'....we got to hit 'em when they throw 'em" For the record she hit the next pitch to the fence in right field....it was almost the exact same place as the last pitch!! I figure if it is between the inside lines of the batters boxes, it's in the zone!! I'd probably say if it's toward the plate on the inside batters box line, and as long as part of the ball is toward the plate on the outside corner then it's good enough for me!! That is giving them 6" on either side of the plate, maybe more like 7-8" on the outside, and a 12" ball is approx. 4"(3.82.... depending on the value for pie) in diameter so that is about 1.5 ball width on the inside and about 2 ball widths on the outside.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Do any of you have a rule book?
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

You should be embarrassed.

Beyond understanding. You are proud that you call a strike when the ball is clearly out of the strike zone. You should give up umpiring today.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,

Had a situation similar to that. Pitcher had just got an amazing fastball going that day and is locating it perfectly, starting it inside and tailing it back over the inside corner for a strike. Hitter are all giving up on it thinking it’s inside. I keep ringing batters up looking and I can see them and the coach becoming more and more agitated with every strikeout. (throwing arms up in the air, mumbling under breath stuff like that) Middle of the fifth inning, I ring up probably the ninth batter of the game looking and I hear “Jesus Christ” coming from the third base coaching box and the coach walking towards home. I reach up to start taking off my mask thinking alright here he comes, when he stops, turns to his dugout (on the third base side) and yells out “He’s been calling that pitch all damn game, when are you gonna start swinging at it!!” Turns and walks back to the coaching box.
I got a little chuckle and didn’t have another called strike three the rest of the game. Good players and coaches will adjust.

Personally, I think a big zone just makes for a better all-around game. The pitchers are more relaxed knowing they don’t have to hit a postage stamp for a strike so they generally throw better, the batters are coming up ready to swing and the infielders keep on their toes because they know the batters aren’t going to be wasting any time up there.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

i need to increase the size of my postage stamp

This thread is coming at just the right time. My strike zone is small. I understand that I need to widen it a little, but seem to have a problem actually doing it. have another chance today-I have a 1 man JV game followed by BU for the varsity game. So here's hoping for a bigger strike zone.......
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
I found that when I have expanded my strike zone out by one to two balls, but kept my same rigid must be the knee and armpit requirement that coaches and players seam to get along with my zone much easier. This is the zone taught at the National ASA School I attended this spring. When the instructors were teaching this expanded zone I was naturally hesitant to believe coaches and players would accept it, but they sure have. With this new and improved zone, my games have gone much faster and easier. Who'd a thunk it?

Bugg
I am not going to give you flack about the zone you are calling since you were taught that zone at a National School. However, by "expanding" the zone by 1 - 2 ball widths on either side the zone is now almost 2 feet wider. There are batters that plain and simple are not going to be able to reach that outside strike. Yeah the game will move along faster, but only because the pitcher has an amazing advantage over the batter.

If you call it be consistent, but I would go back to the other zone you were calling. It is not about getting the game done quickly, its about enforcing the rules fairly and accurately. You decide if that zone is accurate or fair.

Like I said if you choose to call it you can and can justify it by where you were taught that. I personally wouldnt though.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
depending on the value for pie) in diameter so that is about 1.5 ball width on the inside and about 2 ball widths on the outside.
The value for pie is 2 for a buck at McDonalds
pi is a constant 3.14

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Like I said this is the strike zone as taught by one of the very best umpires in the game, a man who's picture is clearly displayed in the rule book. If Wild Bill says call it here, guess what? that's where I'll call it. This is the same zone taught at this years National School in Seattle and last years National School in Portland. The intent of this post was to show that while reluctant to do so at first, I have noticed a remarkable difference in the way coaches and players respond to me when I am behind the dish. Gone are the days when the coach complained about every close call. Of course I am not calling the 18" off the plate the umpire (Gregg?) did in the NLCS a few years ago.

Bugg
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Merle Butler taught the same thing at a State school I attended several years ago. 1 ball in, 1.5-2 balls out. Since even the little girls crowd the plate like Barry Whatzizname these days, those pitches are hittable.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJW
Beyond understanding. You are proud that you call a strike when the ball is clearly out of the strike zone. You should give up umpiring today.
Actually, it is easy to understand. I've explained this repeatedly on this and eteamz board. You just choose not to understand it.

As is usually reflected in game experiences, the good coaches not only understand it and expect it, but WANT the strike zone called in this manner.

They understand that approximately 20% of the pitches which by the book would be called strikes are difficult to impossible to hit well.

As usual, I do not expect you to learn anything here. You are too lazy and have learned is it easier to whine and complain than it is to go out and discover the game of softball.

Give up umpiring? Most of these guys/gals umpire better than you breath. I'll tell you what. We'll stop if you do.