The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

As an official of BB & FB. I stumbled onto this site and seen this forum on softball. I am looking for advice on this matter. In the off season I coach my daughters LL fast pitch team. She has been taught how to pitch by a college coach. She is 11 yrs old but has the mechanics of someone older due to her training from her coach. She has the ability to hit her spots on a regular basis. What I am needing to know is this. In college ball, correct me if I am wrong. Umps will give a ball and a 1/2 off the plate for a strike. So in turn she has been taught to consistantly pitch off the plate. When we went to state tour. the umps would not give her the corners. So in turn it killed her game. I would like to know what the strike zone is in LL and ASA.

Thanks Archer
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

In no place will you find verbiage that tells an umpire to give a ball and 1/2 off the plate as a strike. You might find individual umpires who call that way (on purpose, or simply bad mechanics in some cases), but no rule.

The rule says that if any part of the ball crosses over any part of the plate (at the proper height, of course), it's a strike. If the ball curves, it may look off the plate when caught, but the key is that the ball has to, at some point, be over the plate (again - this could be just a whisker of the ball over a sliver of the plate).

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Mike is correct in that just a whisker of the ball over a sliver of the plate( say the black part) is a good strike. Any umpire with his head on straight will not require the whole ball to be over the whole plate. Umpires that have postage stamp size strike zones are bad for everyone, the batter, the pitcher, the player, the fielders. Make the darn batters swing. Thats what has killed baseball over the past decade.
Next thing some Umps require the whole ball to be above the knee not just at the knee, and in my case the top of the ball can catch the bottom part of the patela (knee) and thats good enough also.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I used the wrong words. What I meant to say is that I know that by rule a strike is anything that crosses the plate. But, I have a friend that umps NCAA Division 1 ball and he told me that in their meeting they would allow a ball and a half off the plate if the pitcher could show she could consistantly hit her spots. Just as in Major league BB the strike zone isnt confined to just the corners of the plate. It seems to me that the game would go by a lot quicker if the zone was expanded. I was just wanting to know if there was a concensous on an expanded zone in LL and ASA?

Archer
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

So he actually said that if the pitcher is consistently bad, it's a strike, as long as the umpire thinks she's consistently bad on purpose? Yuck.

I've never heard anyone official proposing expanding or contracting the strike zone as written.

I'm actually more inclined to call a wider zone at LOWER levels, not higher levels, especially after the 1st inning and I know neither pitcher can pitch.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think you misunderstood me. If a pitcher can consistantly hit a spot 4" off the plate say belt high he will give her a strike. Just as Tom Glavine is given a stike 5" off the plate he is given a strike also. Just for the fact that he is in command of his pitches.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

The strike zone is defined in the rule books for the various governing bodies of softball and baseball. As a practical matter, you will find that the zone may be a bit different from umpire to umpire. Some umpires may give "a ball and a half off the plate", some may not. I can't speak for college umpires because I don't do college ball.

You said your daughter has been taught to pitch off the plate and she can hit her spots. Well if the umpire behind the plate judges her spot to be a ball, it's a ball.

Teach your daughter to probe the limits of the umpire's zone early in the game. Throw a pitch well outside and bring each pitch after that in a little until a strike is called. That will be "the corner" for that particular umpire.

IMHO, continuing to throw pitches to spots that the umpire consistantly calls a ball is like beating your head against a wall.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by archer
I think you misunderstood me. If a pitcher can consistantly hit a spot 4" off the plate say belt high he will give her a strike. Just as Tom Glavine is given a stike 5" off the plate he is given a strike also. Just for the fact that he is in command of his pitches.
You may also find that umpires who give the outside will not give the pitcher the inside pitch including the ones that do catch the corner.

Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

archer, just as in BB, each ump will see the zone differently. If the PU is not calling the outside as your pitcher thinks s/he should, move inside, or lower, or higher. The zone is there, she just has to find it.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Archer,
No, not a ball and a half off the plate. But, half a ball off the plate, that is where the catcher setup, yes. That's not rewarding a consistently bad pitcher, that is rewarding a consistently accurate pitcher. Is it "by the book"? No, but it is the way it's done.

Steve M
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I read a post from another board about a year ago that defined a umpire's zone. I'd never really thought about it, but it is pretty much this way.

He/She (I don't remember ) said :

The plate is 17 inches wide.

The black is 1 in wide. Both sides

The ball is 4 in. in diameter, so a ball on either side is another 8 in.

For a total of 27 inches wide strike zone

And most folks think it's only 17 inces wide.

I agree with the other folks who say the pitcher has to adjust to the umpire. Whatever he calls is what it is for that game. As long as he/she is consistent for both sides, they are carrying out their responsibilities and providing no advantage to either side. The sign of good, experienced players is to poke, probe and stretch until they find the limits to the umpire's game.

Rick

[Edited by TexBlue on Sep 16th, 2003 at 11:10 PM]
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

The strike zone is whatever the umpire is calling. If your daughter can hit corners she needs to learn what each ump will call and adjust which pitches to throw. It doesn't matter what the rule book calls a strike ,It matters what the umpire judges to be a strike.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I coach also and I agree with the umpires on the page here. By the second inning the pitcher should know if they are going to get the outside corner or not. If they aren't getting it, you have to adjust. The umpire isn't going to change his zone once he/she has established it. If my pitcher was in that situation I would tell her that if she isn't getting the corner then bring it in a little bit, show some consistency and then start sliding it out a little further, once the ump gets used to calling strikes out there, you might be able to get some more a little wider.

Complaining about the zone won't accomplish anything except maybe make it a little smaller. Just accept what is there and adjust.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I also had DD that pitched for years and wa taught by a college / olympic pitch coach. Yes he did teach hitting spots of the plate also but he contends that good pitchers are tring to throw as few called strikes as possible and a lot of off plate pitchs that would appear to the batter to be a strike and get them to swing at and miss or hit the pitch in such a way that it could be handeled by the defense for an out. He never emphasized the need for KO as much as controlling hitters.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I agree 100% witht the last post. My daughter has been taught the exact same thing. What I have noticed is that FP softball is mostly between the batter and the pitcher. If a pitcher has the ability to control her pitches and hit her spots on and off the plate. It seems to me that the ump should reward her with a call. Now Im not talking about pitches way off the plate. But if a ball consistantly can been pitched off the plate the batter better be swinging. Yes a pitcher needs to adjust to the umps zone. What I was looking for was information on ASA and LL strike zones. I am not aware if you guys and gals have clinics like we who officiate the upper levels have. In those clinic we dicuss issues such as in BB, By rule 3 second violation is 3 seconds in the paint. But how often do you see it called? Rarely by veteren officials but often by new officials. Like I mentioned before about the ball and 1/2 zone off the plate that D1 FP ups use. It speeds the game up, It rewards a pitcher who is on her game. Just as I have heard in the past. "You have a bat you better be swinging!"