The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Never ending

I was under the belief that pie is continuing to grow. heard a story about a supercomputer at Cal that is getting new digits. It just runs the computations all the time........
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I was under the belief that pie is continuing to grow. heard a story about a supercomputer at Cal that is getting new digits. It just runs the computations all the time........
Actually, it is an irrational number. Not trying to tempt Bluefoot into giving us a math lesson, but what this means, in effect, is that we can never know the value of pi exactly. No matter how many digits are used, it is still an approximation.

So, pi is not growing, but the number of digits that we know keep growing. Don't know if the story about the supercomputer at Cal is true or not... if it is, Cal has too much money.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

That is an excellent explanation of an irrational number! It is a number with a decimal that never ends, and never becomes a repeating sequence of digits. (most specifically, it's one that can't be represented by writing the number as A/B, where A and B are both integers)

BTW, your 126th digit past the decimal is incorrect. It should be a 7.(HA!)

Pi is "growing" at the approximate rate that an umpire's strike zone does, when he loses his patience behind the plate and depserately wants the game to end.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Maybe we could get it to do something useful, like comparing all our rule books, or counting the myths that are posted, or the number of times someone says HTBT.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Most of these guys/gals umpire better than you breath. I'll tell you what. We'll stop if you do.

Speaking ASA (and all the other codes I call)

That was your best call this year, Mike!
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Spock

Quote:
Mr. Spock actually used the value of pi to the last digit to confound a super computer in the original series "Star Trek"

He should have been an umpire

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sun May 14, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I decided to consciously use a wider strike zone on Friday because it was a JV game. Bad day to pick, because neither pitcher was anywhere near consistent and I ended up with no partner. So, after a couple innings I gave up. Too many other weird things happening to concentrate on anything new. Probably can't try again until Wed, because of the teams involved on Mon & Tue.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

About two years ago, I called an "outside strike" and the catcher gave me an exasperated look as the defensive coach yelled at me, "What do you mean strike? We're throwing an intentional walk." Oh well.

The next pitch was at about the same place. The batter hit it for a double.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
About two years ago, I called an "outside strike" and the catcher gave me an exasperated look as the defensive coach yelled at me, "What do you mean strike? We're throwing an intentional walk." Oh well.
Then why was the catcher even down in a crouch?
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I decided to consciously use a wider strike zone on Friday because it was a JV game. Bad day to pick, because neither pitcher was anywhere near consistent and I ended up with no partner. So, after a couple innings I gave up. Too many other weird things happening to concentrate on anything new. Probably can't try again until Wed, because of the teams involved on Mon & Tue.
Let me understand this. You had two lousy pitchers so you didn't use a wider strike zone?
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
Mr. Spock actually used the value of pi to the last digit to confound a super computer in the original series "Star Trek"

He should have been an umpire
A video clip of this has actually been used in math classes that I've been in.

BTW, who is "Captain Slog" that Kirk talks to at the begining of each episode?

I ain't no trekkie.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
I ain't no trekkie.
Talk about useless redundancy.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Hope you don't mind my chiming in, but is there some reason that officials are told to do something at clinics that contradicts their written rules?

Maybe the rule sets are different for the sanctioning bodies you are referring to and if so, I apologize for my ignorance, but if, for example, the ASA rules define the strike zone as "...that space over any part of home plate.." what is the basis for an instructor to teach something contradictory?
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
Hope you don't mind my chiming in, but is there some reason that officials are told to do something at clinics that contradicts their written rules?

Maybe the rule sets are different for the sanctioning bodies you are referring to and if so, I apologize for my ignorance, but if, for example, the ASA rules define the strike zone as "...that space over any part of home plate.." what is the basis for an instructor to teach something contradictory?
I thought that was explained quite well early on.
Old Mon Jun 12, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
To clarify my original zone was any part of the ball over the plate. The expanded zone is any ball that is within one to two balls width over the plate. in effect expanding the plate out and in by about two ball widths. Like I said both coaches and players don't seam to mind. I also use this expanded zone in slow pitch, soon the standers become swingers -- again no complaints.

Bugg
I can only speak for the SP game, but after 25 years of doing this I can tell you that ANY part of the ball over ANY part of the plate as long as it is in their strike zone will be called a strike and it is a GREAT BIG ball.