View Single Post
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,

Had a situation similar to that. Pitcher had just got an amazing fastball going that day and is locating it perfectly, starting it inside and tailing it back over the inside corner for a strike. Hitter are all giving up on it thinking it’s inside. I keep ringing batters up looking and I can see them and the coach becoming more and more agitated with every strikeout. (throwing arms up in the air, mumbling under breath stuff like that) Middle of the fifth inning, I ring up probably the ninth batter of the game looking and I hear “Jesus Christ” coming from the third base coaching box and the coach walking towards home. I reach up to start taking off my mask thinking alright here he comes, when he stops, turns to his dugout (on the third base side) and yells out “He’s been calling that pitch all damn game, when are you gonna start swinging at it!!” Turns and walks back to the coaching box.
I got a little chuckle and didn’t have another called strike three the rest of the game. Good players and coaches will adjust.

Personally, I think a big zone just makes for a better all-around game. The pitchers are more relaxed knowing they don’t have to hit a postage stamp for a strike so they generally throw better, the batters are coming up ready to swing and the infielders keep on their toes because they know the batters aren’t going to be wasting any time up there.