View Single Post
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
I found that when I have expanded my strike zone out by one to two balls, but kept my same rigid must be the knee and armpit requirement that coaches and players seam to get along with my zone much easier. This is the zone taught at the National ASA School I attended this spring. When the instructors were teaching this expanded zone I was naturally hesitant to believe coaches and players would accept it, but they sure have. With this new and improved zone, my games have gone much faster and easier. Who'd a thunk it?

Bugg
I am not going to give you flack about the zone you are calling since you were taught that zone at a National School. However, by "expanding" the zone by 1 - 2 ball widths on either side the zone is now almost 2 feet wider. There are batters that plain and simple are not going to be able to reach that outside strike. Yeah the game will move along faster, but only because the pitcher has an amazing advantage over the batter.

If you call it be consistent, but I would go back to the other zone you were calling. It is not about getting the game done quickly, its about enforcing the rules fairly and accurately. You decide if that zone is accurate or fair.

Like I said if you choose to call it you can and can justify it by where you were taught that. I personally wouldnt though.