The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 14, 2019, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

3 ft running lane

Could someone explain this nfhs case play?

8.2.5 SITUATION B: R1 is on third, and the batter receives a base on balls. The batter-runner runs to first completely in fair territory (outside of the three-foot running lane) the last half distance to first. The catcher throws the ball to first and the throw strikes the batter-runner. RULING: If the umpire judges that the batter runner interfered with a legitimate play by the catcher, she should be called out.
COMMENT: All bases must be run legally, even awarded bases. (8-2-6; 8-3-11; 8-6-10c).

What kind of legitimate play was the catcher making?
Why was she throwing to first when the batter received a walk (and the runner wasn't even to first base yet?

Thanks?
Old Fri Mar 15, 2019, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post

8.2.5 SITUATION B: R1 is on third, and the batter receives a base on balls. The batter-runner runs to first completely in fair territory (outside of the three-foot running lane) the last half distance to first. The catcher throws the ball to first and the throw strikes the batter-runner. RULING: If the umpire judges that the batter runner interfered with a legitimate play by the catcher, she should be called out.
COMMENT: All bases must be run legally, even awarded bases. (8-2-6; 8-3-11; 8-6-10c).

Why was she throwing to first when the batter received a walk (and the runner wasn't even to first base yet?

Thanks?
Whether we agree with the ruling or not:
- it does not matter why
- could be legitimate to keep the BR from advancing, deceive the other runner, be sure it was really ball 4, ...

Those issues were discussed at length when this ruling first occurred and it basically comes down to a BR is a BR, regardless of why.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2019, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Some teams on offense with a runner at 2nd and ball 4 on BR will turn this into a steal of 2nd base. To try to prevent this the defense will make a throw to 1st, but they have to be aware of the runner at 3rd.

May work, may not.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2019, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Common practice for a catcher I knew (FP men's league) to fire the ball down to F3 (1-2 steps off the bag) to prevent the walk(ing) batter from taking off with runner on 3b.

So, in his case anyway, he wasnt trying to plunk the BR for a cheap out, but a legitimate play to prevent a potential score.

A walked batter who interferes with this will be called out ...

Last edited by jmkupka; Fri Mar 15, 2019 at 12:13pm.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2019, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

I still say its a stupid play to throw to 1st base to try and keep a walked batter from advancing to 2nd with a runner on 3rd. Pretty easy to beat this supposed play, throwing to first never activates the lookback rule so the runner at 3rd can stay off the base as long as they want, and the ball is 40' further away from them than it would be if the pitcher had it. Ya, you may have thrown to F3 at 1st, but if I was the offensive coach I would simply have my walked batter overrun 1st base down the line a little and then make a wide arc toward 2nd base. The lookback rule isn't in force because F3 has the ball, and now F3 has to decide to chase after the batter/runner made a wide turn to 2nd and let the runner on 3rd advance home, throw to 2nd to try and play on the batter/runner advancing and let the runner on 3rd advance home, or simply let the batter/runner advance to 2nd uncontested and keep the runner at 3rd.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2019, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
I still say its a stupid play to throw to 1st base to try and keep a walked batter from advancing to 2nd with a runner on 3rd. Pretty easy to beat this supposed play, throwing to first never activates the lookback rule so the runner at 3rd can stay off the base as long as they want, and the ball is 40' further away from them than it would be if the pitcher had it. Ya, you may have thrown to F3 at 1st, but if I was the offensive coach I would simply have my walked batter overrun 1st base down the line a little and then make a wide arc toward 2nd base. The lookback rule isn't in force because F3 has the ball, and now F3 has to decide to chase after the batter/runner made a wide turn to 2nd and let the runner on 3rd advance home, throw to 2nd to try and play on the batter/runner advancing and let the runner on 3rd advance home, or simply let the batter/runner advance to 2nd uncontested and keep the runner at 3rd.
I saw the throw to first work a couple times in the same game. (The reason one team was part of a top HS program in the state and the other was part of a program that rarely wins any games).

First was a runner on third and on ball 3 they throw down to first. Runner from third takes off home and is nailed at the plate.

Second time was a couple innings later and happened on ball 4. Same result, out at the plate, but that play they also got the out at second when the BR after reaching first tried going to second and was thrown out for the double play. Strangest double play I've seen.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 02:37pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post

Thanks?
I think the more telling question is: What the hell was the batter-runner doing running to first base outside the three-foot lane on a walk? Geez, she should be plunked and ruled out just out of stupidity. Why take the chance?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Can I just challenge your math?

1st base 60' from home, pitching plate 43' from home, front of circle 35' from home.
Where have you been?
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I moved about a year ago, and that move and associated chores and tasks took up huge amounts of time.

Then, my good friend who was a college coordinator (I was his backup and administrator/treasurer) relapsed with cancer over the summer, and ultimately passed away. I thought I was busy until then, but adding the coordinating/scheduling, AND administrative tasks with 55 collegiate institutions (along with my high school and rec association) rarely leaves me time to do more than monitor these boards once a month, or so.

Just so happened to have a minute today, and some topics that created an urge to post.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome back, Steve.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, welcome back Steve!

I've missed your insightful and educational posts.

Hope you'll be able to carve out a little time for this forum.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

1st base 60' from home, pitching plate 43' from home, front of circle 35' from home.

Agree.

I have always argued that the pitcher should always get the ball since she is the closest to all bases and active runners.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

Agree.

I have always argued that the pitcher should always get the ball since she is the closest to all bases and active runners.
If the pitcher gets the ball it defeats the purpose of the defense throwing to first base, which is often to draw the offense into trying a delayed steal of home plate.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2019, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
If the pitcher gets the ball it defeats the purpose of the defense throwing to first base, which is often to draw the offense into trying a delayed steal of home plate.
Not if they know what they are doing