The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Ok I find the definition to the ASA running lane in Rule 8, sec 2 (2001 book). But I had a fluke play happen to me last weekend I'd like some opinion on, please. 12&Under. Semi-final game of indoor tounament. We are in the bottom of the 8th extra inning, going on close to 3 hours. No outs. Bases loaded. Left handed first baseperson. Right handed batter. Infield drawn in to play the force at home plate. Batter hits a full swing ground ball to the firstbase person who in throwing home hits the batter-runner coming out of the box. Run scores. Game over. Coach asks why runner interference isn't called. Reason given: Batter-runner had not even reached the running lane and has the right to run inside the baseline markings until they reach that point. True? Coaches satisfied. Everyone shakes hands. Was I right or wrong?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
You nailed it right on. If we would call interference when a runner gets hit with a thrown ball(other than when out of the running lane,) we would have fielders acting like they are playing dodge ball and trying to hit runners. Dave
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

The running lane has nothing to do with a throw coming from in FRONT of the batter/runner. The interference must be with the first baseperson's ability to catch the throw from BEHIND the B/R.

Bob
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Where ??

Thanks for the replys. Can we document anywhere in the book that it states interference can only come from one direction. If I have a runner up to the running lane area and not running in it, and a first base person playing behind the bag and the same play happens I'm thinking interference. Now granted this is the only area between bases that this would apply.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Documenting it....

ASA 8-2-E
BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT When he runs outside the three-foot lane and, in the judgment of the umpire, interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base;...

The more general interference rule for the BR (ASA 8-2-F) requires interference with a thrown ball to be intentional.

In your situation, the 3 foot lane rule does not apply, so unless the BR intentionally tried to get in the way of the throw, there was no interference.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2002, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thank You

Thanks that helps.