The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 02:10pm
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,373
USA Softball Ten Second Rule vs. Foot in Box Rule

So rule 7-3-C states that the JO batter must be in the batter's box within 10 seconds after being directed to do so by the umpire. I was always led to believe that the 10-second rule applies only when the batter is first coming up to bat. But there are some who say these 10 seconds also apply between pitches.

That's not how I read 7-3-D. That's the rule requiring the JO batter to keep one foot in the box between pitches. There is nothing in the rule that says the batter is allowed to keep one foot in the box while looking at her coach for signals, and to take practice swings, as long as she doesn't exceed 10 seconds. It just says she is to keep one foot in the box, period. If she takes a full 10 seconds to step out, look at the coach, look down at her arm band, and take a couple of swings, she hasn't violated anything. 7-3-C says the 10 seconds start when the umpire directs the batter to get in the box; if he/she doesn't say anything to the batter while she's looking at her coach with just one foot in the box, the clock isn't running, correct?

Conversely, if the batter steps completely out of the box with both feet, and the umpire gives the batter a warning to keep one foot in the box, is that direction that starts that 10-second clock? I don't see that in 7-3-D. The Effect sentence says that if the batter leaves the box "and delays play", the PU can penalize the batter with a strike. To me, "and delays play" could be less than 10 seconds, could it not? If I see a batter take three or four steps out of the box and I tell her to keep one foot in, and she does it again and I remind her again, and she does it yet again for a third straight pitch, where does it say I have to wait 10 seconds after the third warning before I can rule a dead ball strike on her? I should be able to rule that strike immediately if she keeps screwing up and leaving the box, right?
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,340
I dont see where 7-3-c applies only to the first time the batter comes to the batters box. 7-3-a is the statement about both feet must be entirely within the batters box prior to the pitch and it applies to every pitch thrown, not just the first time the batter steps in. 7-3-d has 8 exceptions of why the batter could be out of the box between pitches and a reason for the umpire to instruct the batter to return to the box.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fremont, NH
Posts: 1,244
I'd say overall, JO games, particularly tournament events, move along pretty quickly.

I think there are probably both players and umpires who are mixing & matching NFHS and USA rules on occasion. NFHS doesn't require batters to keep a foot in the box as long as they're ready in 10 seconds or less.

As mentioned, there are so many exceptions to the batter keeping a foot in the box that I don't usually make a big deal about it.

I did have a couple of occasions in recent tournaments where I had to tell the batter something.

One was a catcher who would stand with one foot in the box and one out seemingly waiting for the pitcher to step onto the pitcher's plate. A simple "step in batter" fixed that for the rest of the game.

Another was a player that liked to go for a little stroll after every pitch. Again, one warning to "please keep one foot in the box" fixed it.

I've never been challenged by player or coach on this. Most realize we're just trying to keep the game moving.
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
So rule 7-3-C states that the JO batter must be in the batter's box within 10 seconds after being directed to do so by the umpire. I was always led to believe that the 10-second rule applies only when the batter is first coming up to bat. But there are some who say these 10 seconds also apply between pitches.
It is throughout the game, 1st, 5th, 10th inning, there is no time this rule does not apply

Quote:
That's not how I read 7-3-D. That's the rule requiring the JO batter to keep one foot in the box between pitches. There is nothing in the rule that says the batter is allowed to keep one foot in the box while looking at her coach for signals, and to take practice swings, as long as she doesn't exceed 10 seconds. It just says she is to keep one foot in the box, period. If she takes a full 10 seconds to step out, look at the coach, look down at her arm band, and take a couple of swings, she hasn't violated anything.
Different rule. 7.3.D is specific to the batter's allowance, same as in MLB rules

Quote:
7-3-C says the 10 seconds start when the umpire directs the batter to get in the box; if he/she doesn't say anything to the batter while she's looking at her coach with just one foot in the box, the clock isn't running, correct?

Conversely, if the batter steps completely out of the box with both feet, and the umpire gives the batter a warning to keep one foot in the box, is that direction that starts that 10-second clock? I don't see that in 7-3-D. The Effect sentence says that if the batter leaves the box "and delays play", the PU can penalize the batter with a strike. To me, "and delays play" could be less than 10 seconds, could it not? If I see a batter take three or four steps out of the box and I tell her to keep one foot in, and she does it again and I remind her again, and she does it yet again for a third straight pitch, where does it say I have to wait 10 seconds after the third warning before I can rule a dead ball strike on her? I should be able to rule that strike immediately if she keeps screwing up and leaving the box, right?
Really overthinking this and trying to justify the interaction of two rules that are related only that they both pertain to the batter and the batter's box.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 08:48am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,373
Alright, so tell me how we handle a batter who, after a couple of friendly reminders, continues to step completely out of the batter's box to get signals from the coach. Do we issue another verbal warning, and then count to 10 before we penalize her with a strike? Or can we penalize her with it immediately?

The reason I ask is because I've been told when I issue the verbal warning, "Blue, she has 10 seconds to be back in the box!"
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Alright, so tell me how we handle a batter who, after a couple of friendly reminders, continues to step completely out of the batter's box to get signals from the coach. Do we issue another verbal warning, and then count to 10 before we penalize her with a strike? Or can we penalize her with it immediately?

The reason I ask is because I've been told when I issue the verbal warning, "Blue, she has 10 seconds to be back in the box!"
You do just what the rule allows, you hit the batter with a strike. AGAIN, it has nothing to do with 10 seconds
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 11:17am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You do just what the rule allows, you hit the batter with a strike. AGAIN, it has nothing to do with 10 seconds
Okay, there's some misconception out there that the one-foot-in-the-box rule is unnecessary because batters have 10 seconds between pitches to be ready, so why make it a big deal to force batters to keep one foot in? As long as they have those 10 seconds between pitches, who cares where they go as long as they're back and ready by the end of the countdown?
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fremont, NH
Posts: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
As long as they have those 10 seconds between pitches, who cares where they go as long as they're back and ready by the end of the countdown?
THAT is the NFHS philosophy. And as I said earlier, there IS some mixing/matching of rule sets by practically everyone.

USA has the "foot in the box" rule with a bunch of exceptions where the batter doesn't have to keep a foot in the box.

"Move 'em along, Blue."
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
I have always treated these rules as tools to keep the game moving. OOO enforcement is not appropriate, IMO.
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Okay, there's some misconception out there that the one-foot-in-the-box rule is unnecessary because batters have 10 seconds between pitches to be ready, so why make it a big deal to force batters to keep one foot in? As long as they have those 10 seconds between pitches, who cares where they go as long as they're back and ready by the end of the countdown?
So the batter should be permitted to run out to the coach for a quick un-charged conference if they can do it in 10 seconds?

Don't know how to make it any simpler. These are two separate rules.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 NFHS Softball Rule Changes Stat-Man Softball 7 Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:51pm
minor A (7 year old) softball rule STEVEP239 Softball 5 Fri May 31, 2013 11:12am
Rule 9.1.1 Casebook play, Dribbling off foot on freethrow jritchie Basketball 11 Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:10pm
The Umpire Handbook of Softball Rule Differences cruzercapt Softball 1 Tue Sep 30, 2008 03:23pm
ASA Softball Rule Boomer3 Softball 5 Mon Jan 14, 2008 01:36pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1