The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 17, 2016, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

In the OP I think the question is...........If no one, infielders or outfielders, had a play on the ball because they couldn't have reached it and it hit the runner, is it still a dead ball out or do we play on cuz no one could have made a play....in our wonderful judgement?
Old Tue May 17, 2016, 01:39pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill by looking for specifics to guide your judgment. You seem to be searching for someone to offer a specific distance or circumstance and I don't believe you are going to get that or that is even necessary.

As Rich and I have noted, it is your judgment as to whether a player may have had the opportunity to make a play on the batted ball. Just the ability to get to the ball, not an absolute execution of an out.

The rule states another fielder has an opportunity to make an out. I'm almost certain, I had to look it up a week or so ago for reference
Old Tue May 17, 2016, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
If that happens you have a really stupid defensive alignment. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.
His is slightly out there, but I'll take it into standard softball. R1 on 1st when B2 hits a sharp liner to shallow left. F3 is playing inside the diamond and F9 is at the standard shallow depth where she will have a play on the BR. The ball hits R1. Now, from your reply it seemed to be you were arguing that this is not interference. But the rules says F9 having a play on the BR is the only condition for interference. Perhaps you could clarify your position on this.
Old Wed May 18, 2016, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill by looking for specifics to guide your judgment. You seem to be searching for someone to offer a specific distance or circumstance and I don't believe you are going to get that or that is even necessary.

As Rich and I have noted, it is your judgment as to whether a player may have had the opportunity to make a play on the batted ball. Just the ability to get to the ball, not an absolute execution of an out.
You are aware that under the HS rules, the term used is make an out correct.

With that said, I was look more at how people determine a ruling on this rather than a specific distance.
Old Wed May 18, 2016, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
The rule states another fielder has an opportunity to make an out. I'm almost certain, I had to look it up a week or so ago for reference
That is applicable to a secondary fielder after the ball passes another defender. Rich and I were referring to the primary fielder which the ball has passed

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed May 18, 2016 at 11:41am.
Old Wed May 18, 2016, 12:24pm
High Five Master

Quote:
That is applicable to a secondary fielder after the ball passes another defender. Rich and I were referring to the primary fielder which the ball has passed

Aha. Sorry.
Old Thu May 26, 2016, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

In the OP and since this is softball you have to have F3, F4, F9 all in the judgment equations.

That being said I've had four 9-3 plays at the varsity baseball level this year and zero in softball.