The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Federation - initial play, deflected off F1

Situation: Runners on 2nd and 3rd, a very sharply hit infield grounder goes up the middle, and hits the pitcher, deflecting it to the left. F6 changes direction to go after the deflected ball, and this puts the advancing R2 in her path to the ball.

Is there any exception recognized by Fed in this initial play situation for a ball hit & deflected so sharply that the runner had no chance to avoid being in the way?
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, no exception in NFHS which really does not make any sense. They do recognize a ball deflected by the pitcher hitting a runner the runner may not have a chance to avoid so there is an exception in that instance, but none for a fielder who is still in the act of an initial play per the rules.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Nope, no exception in NFHS which really does not make any sense. They do recognize a ball deflected by the pitcher hitting a runner the runner may not have a chance to avoid so there is an exception in that instance, but none for a fielder who is still in the act of an initial play per the rules.
soon to the point the runners cannot leave the base until the defense has fielded the ball
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

So when the deflection off F1 causes runner, fielder and ball to be on a 3-way collision course:

If ball hits runner, and a split-second later the runner and fielder meet, we play on.

If it happens in the opposite order, dead ball, INT.
Old Thu May 19, 2016, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
If ball hits runner, and a split-second later the runner and fielder meet, we play on.
I'm not sure. Why is it not interference? The ball was within a step and a reach of the fielder at the time of the interference. I'm not sure how hitting the player makes any difference to that.
Old Fri May 20, 2016, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I'm not sure. Why is it not interference? The ball was within a step and a reach of the fielder at the time of the interference. I'm not sure how hitting the player makes any difference to that.
Step & reach applies after a muff, not starting position.
Old Sun May 22, 2016, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Step & reach applies after a muff, not starting position.
Yes that's true. But I'm not sure it's relevant to my point. The fielder is protected from interference while making the initial play on the ball. I don't think the fact that it the ball hit a runner changes that. If she has a play on the ball the runner must give way.
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
So when the deflection off F1 causes runner, fielder and ball to be on a 3-way collision course:

If it happens in the opposite order, dead ball, INT.
On further consideration of my own comment, I feel that, though the ball hitting runner doesn't in itself kill the play, the contact of runner and fielder could, especially if it is a split-second later.

The rationale is the runner is expected to evade a fielder changing direction at all costs (not so much a ball changing direction).

So if all three elements are on a collision course, runner (though she can't avoid contacting the ball) should still be concerned with avoiding the fielder.

IF the ball is still close by.

If it ricochets off the runner, well away from fielder, we can play on...