The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 29, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Whose Ball Following This Play

Federation Rules — Fourth down and 10 from midfield. A's punt is muffed on the R 40 and rebounds back behind the neutral zone, where A2 picks it up at the A 45 yard line and throws an incomplete pass. Where will the ball be put in play next?

Last edited by The Stiff; Wed Aug 29, 2012 at 02:08pm.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Depends who muffs it. I'm assuming you mean R muffs it back behind the NZ. In that case, whoever ends with possession will be awarded a new series. 5-1-3f

Since the legal forward pass is incomplete, the ball will return to the previous spot. A 1/10 @ 50, clock on the snap.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2012, 03:21pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
depends who muffs it. I'm assuming you mean r muffs it back behind the nz. In that case, whoever ends with possession will be awarded a new series. 5-1-3f

since the legal forward pass is incomplete, the ball will return to the previous spot. A 1/10 @ 50, clock on the snap.
+1
Old Wed Aug 29, 2012, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Depends who muffs it. I'm assuming you mean R muffs it back behind the NZ. In that case, whoever ends with possession will be awarded a new series. 5-1-3f

Since the legal forward pass is incomplete, the ball will return to the previous spot. A 1/10 @ 50, clock on the snap.
...and after R coach goes nuts and draws a USC flag, it will be A ball 1/10 at the B 35...
Old Wed Aug 29, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
...and after R coach goes nuts and draws a USC flag, it will be A ball 1/10 at the B 35...
I have seen this play discussed many times but nobody has ever confirmed seeing it happen.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2012, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Does the muffing of a punt constitute a change of possession that makes it illegal to throw a forward pass?
Old Wed Aug 29, 2012, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
Does the muffing of a punt constitute a change of possession that makes it illegal to throw a forward pass?
No. Muffing by definition is an unsuccessful attempt to secure possession. 2-27
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

What happens if A threw the pass past the LOS to an Ineligible receiver?
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtridge View Post
What happens if A threw the pass past the LOS to an Ineligible receiver?
So the new play is as follows:
Fourth down and 10 from midfield. K's punt is muffed on the R 40 and rebounds back behind the neutral zone, where K2 picks it up at the K45 yard line, runs to the R48, and throws an incomplete pass to ineligible K79. Where will the ball be put in play next?
The ineligible downfield (if K79 was downfield) and illegal touching (if K79 touched the pass) are ignored since we have an illegal forward pass. K's recovery and advance are legal. The foul for IFP will be enforced from the spot of the foul, 5 yards, back to the K47. IFP carries a LOD, so it will be R's ball, 1/10 @ K47, clock on the snap.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fourth down and 10 from midfield. K's punt is muffed on the R 40 and rebounds back behind the neutral zone, where K2 picks it up at the K45 yard line, runs to the R48, and throws an incomplete pass to ineligible K79. Where will the ball be put in play next?
The ineligible downfield (if K79 was downfield) and illegal touching (if K79 touched the pass) are ignored since we have an illegal forward pass. K's recovery and advance are legal. The foul for IFP will be enforced from the spot of the foul, 5 yards, back to the K47. IFP carries a LOD, so it will be R's ball, 1/10 @ K47, clock on the snap.
Think about that part again (in the context of a play where a new series would have been awarded absent the IFP...)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 02:57pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
I hope you meant "K's ball".

This is realistically a COP play, and the LOD aspect of the penalty has no effect.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I hope you meant "K's ball".

This is realistically a COP play, and the LOD aspect of the penalty has no effect.
When did team possession change?
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
When did team possession change?
No need to be obtuse... he didn't say possession changed, he said it was realistically a COP play. Probably not the best word, I'd have gone with essentially instead of realistically. But you know what he meant.

(And if you don't ... answer my question, I was going to the same place he was, I was just trying to walk the poster there instead of just giving the answer).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Think about that part again (in the context of a play where a new series would have been awarded absent the IFP...)
Whoops. New series when R touches the kick beyond the NZ. I know better.

Correct answer:

The ineligible downfield (if K79 was downfield) and illegal touching (if K79 touched the pass) are ignored since we have an illegal forward pass. K's recovery and advance are legal. The foul for IFP will be enforced from the spot of the foul, 5 yards, back to the K47. Since R touched the kick beyond the NZ, K is awarded a new series. IFP's LOD is ignored, so it will be K ball, 1/10 @ K47, clock on the snap.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2012, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
No need to be obtuse... he didn't say possession changed, he said it was realistically a COP play. Probably not the best word, I'd have gone with essentially instead of realistically. But you know what he meant.
Actually I didn't, but if i'd been more awake when I read it, I would've. I'd misread a detail of what he wrote, got onto the wrong track.