The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
NFHS calling "play ball" after dead ball

Can someone please tell me when the rule changed from umpire calling and signalling to "play ball" after a dead ball situation. A few years ago the rule said when the pitcher has the ball in the 16 foot circle and the umpire says play ball. Now the rule states when the pitcher has the ball on the pitcher's plate, and the umpire says play ball and gives a signal. I don't remember the change but it was the first way on the 2007 test and I know the second way by the 2011 rulebook. Kind of at a loss when it actually changed. Dave
Old Wed Aug 03, 2011, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Can someone please tell me when the rule changed from umpire calling and signalling to "play ball" after a dead ball situation. A few years ago the rule said when the pitcher has the ball in the 16 foot circle and the umpire says play ball. Now the rule states when the pitcher has the ball on the pitcher's plate, and the umpire says play ball and gives a signal. I don't remember the change but it was the first way on the 2007 test and I know the second way by the 2011 rulebook. Kind of at a loss when it actually changed. Dave
That says the ball is still dead while held by the pitcher in the circle, until s/he steps on the plate to start a pitch. It looks like the NFHS decided clarification was needed, but I don't know which year either.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2011, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I don't usually like to post this way, but it is the only way I know to get my post back toward the top. Doesn't anyone else have a take on this? Dave