The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 06:13pm
M.A.S.H.

Want to officiate in the NFL?

NFL begins looking for replacement officials as labor talks continue - NFL - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy
Old Thu May 10, 2012, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

If the NFL went full time I would seriously consider applying (now or later), but as it stands right now, I don't think I have the time to work in the league on a part time basis.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
If the NFL went full time I would seriously consider applying (now or later), but as it stands right now, I don't think I have the time to work in the league on a part time basis.
I don't know how they could be an more full-time. They are already putting in 25-30 hours during the week in addition to traveling to and working the game on a weekend. This isn't like baseball or basketball or hockey where they have games throughout the week every week.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 05:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I don't know how they could be an more full-time. They are already putting in 25-30 hours during the week in addition to traveling to and working the game on a weekend. This isn't like baseball or basketball or hockey where they have games throughout the week every week.
And I do not know how it would interfere with someone that had a full time job either, unless you were on call during most weekends. There travel only really takes place on the weekends primarily and unless you are working a Monday Night game, you would be at work all during the work week. Most of the officials that work in the NFL have a full-time job or business now.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Its not just MNF. There is a Sunday night game every week, and this year, a Thursday night game (or Wed in one) all but the last week. Figure on 3-4 assignments on these "off" times as well as mid-week and offseason activities, and you have a busy schedule. Remember, this goes on for 4 solid months, and doesn't include a playoff game for roughly half the officials.

Even a good D1 college crew works about a dozen games, most on Saturday. They'll have a camp, a 2 or 3 day meeting, a scrimmage, and 8-12 games and maybe a bowl game. Mid week activities can be handled in one evening, mostly, though some conferences may have more requirements. You can leave Friday after lunch, be home Sunday a little after noon only on weeks when you fly a long way. Just as an example, IF I worked in the Big 12, I'd drive to games in Austin, Waco, Norman, Stillwater, College Station, Dallas, Fort Worth, maybe Houston, maybe San Antonio, and fly everywhere else. All but a few flights would be short (hour to an hour and a half). For a 2:00 game, I'd be home by Sat. midnight everywhere except those games where we had long flights.

In the NFL, on the other hand, I MAY drive to one of those cities, fly the rest, and the flights would be 2-4 hours, except maybe New Orleans. Leaving early Sat. morning and returning very late Sun. night or early Monday would be the norm.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well I did forget about the Thursday Night games every week. I guess that could be a problem for some. I just know usually they have to be there a day before or early on the day of the game on Thursdays. That might change considering this will be an every week issue now for the staff. Something also tells me that many are not going to have to work those games but only so often. But who knows, I am sure I will find out more about that this summer.

As it relates to the D1 thing, I guess that would depend on the conference. Not all conferences play on weekdays. I know the Big Ten does not do that at this time, so not an issue here, but would be in other parts of the country.

Peace
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

My point in a nutshell was that even with a normal, noon Sunday game, its a full weekend plus 12-15 hours during the week for video, testing, etc. If I tried to get in a full 40-45 hour workweek, I'm not sure I could keep that pace for more than a month or two. Just compared to a D1 schedule, that's a stiff time commitment. And I know a lot of guys that have quit working college ball (mostly DII and lower) due to travel and time commitment vs. the pay.
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 12:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
My point in a nutshell was that even with a normal, noon Sunday game, its a full weekend plus 12-15 hours during the week for video, testing, etc. If I tried to get in a full 40-45 hour workweek, I'm not sure I could keep that pace for more than a month or two. Just compared to a D1 schedule, that's a stiff time commitment. And I know a lot of guys that have quit working college ball (mostly DII and lower) due to travel and time commitment vs. the pay.
Funny you say that. I worked with a guy from Texas that flew to Illinois in for an NAIA game on a Saturday. That day we happened to work the eventual National Champion that night early in September. I guess it really depends on what you want to consider too much time and travel. Not saying I would do that at all, but it appears someone is willing to put in the travel and time.

Peace
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

When I was in my 20s and even early 30s, I would have flown anywhere. Even though I'm fairly lucky to be centrally located and near an airport, the pay for D2 and lower games in both football and basketball really isn't worth the trouble. I won't be D1 in hoops and I might be D1 in football (luckily, years of lower college games is not a requirement like in hoops), but if not, that's fine. But, as stated, if the NFL went full time, I would certainly consider applying.

How about you? You once said you focused your career so you could officiate. Major college hoops would be tough (lower level no problem though fewer games), but you could still work baseball as a full time NFL guy. Would you make the jump?
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
When I was in my 20s and even early 30s, I would have flown anywhere. Even though I'm fairly lucky to be centrally located and near an airport, the pay for D2 and lower games in both football and basketball really isn't worth the trouble. I won't be D1 in hoops and I might be D1 in football (luckily, years of lower college games is not a requirement like in hoops), but if not, that's fine. But, as stated, if the NFL went full time, I would certainly consider applying.

How about you? You once said you focused your career so you could officiate. Major college hoops would be tough (lower level no problem though fewer games), but you could still work baseball as a full time NFL guy. Would you make the jump?
Well my business was not doing so well so I went back to school to get an advanced degree before I did not have time to do it later in life. I am still in the process of doing that and officiating is really not that important at this point as it once was. I have achieved the highest levels in HS in both football (twice) and baseball so at this point any college I do is gravy. Now I was never in a position or needed to be in a position to fly anywhere as where I am located most places are within driving distance. I have worked college football the last few years and if I ever get a shot at the higher levels I do not have to move or go anywhere. I work mostly college basketball compared to my other sports and that opportunity is also here as well to work that level. I am probably too old to ever be realistically considered at the NFL level, but I would probably be able to do so if the opportunity opened up (just dreaming here of course). I still might have a very outside chance at D1, but unlikely based on all the dynamics that are going on in this area.

I do not want you to think I was being critical of you, because I was not. Just trying to understand why you felt you could never work at the NFL level if picked. I also do not have kids and I am not married so the choices I have to make only affect me. I could chase a dream for a little while where others might have to make a family decision. But I am like many who have done this for awhile and what I once wanted to do is not as important anymore. I just want to have fun more than chasing a dream that is not likely to happen based on other life issues.

Peace
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Too old?? Isn't Dick Jorgensen still out there?
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 10:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Too old?? Isn't Dick Jorgensen still out there?
I am not too old to officiate, but maybe too old to get in at a good age.

Peace
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the travel requirements will be much of a problem with employers, most employers I know would be real proud to have one of their own employees make it to the NFL. Local pee wee football ref taking off from work might be frowned upon, but an NFL ref, I think that has more sway with the boss...
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
I don't know anyone that works 25-30 hours a week for 4-5 months out of the year that's considered full time.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

who do we contact if we are interested?