The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 12:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Since there has been much discussion why we do what we do, then I ask why do you officiate? How did you get started in officiating? And finally, why do you stay officiating?

I do 3 sports. Football, Basketball and Baseball. Basketball is my favorite of all, but I spend a lot of time with the others of course. I do college in Basketball and baseball and varsity level in all of them. I primarily stick only to school ball mainly because all the Pop Warner, AAU, Summer travelling Baseball Leagues, I do not have that much time for with my real job. Those were great money when I was in college and helped me pay for (almost pay for) my truck.

I started all because I am a huge sports fan. I played all the sports I did at the varsity level in HS and wanted to stay close to the game. I thought I would coach but what better way to see a game night in night out and not have the emotional attachment to a school or winning or losing. I officiate to stay close to the game and that is it. I do not do this for the money, but it is nice to get paid for something that you are having fun doing. I stay because officiating for me has been about the relationships that you form with people of all walks of life with a similar interest. The most successful people I have met are officials. And it is fasinating to have relationships from a Mail carrier to a Bank President. Computer Technicians to Sales Representative. I have formed relationships with people that I will have as life long friends and stay close to the sports I have always loved since I can remember.

This is me, what makes you officiate?

Peace

Old Fri May 31, 2002, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Love2ref4Ever
Talking

I just Love2Ref
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 12:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Good one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Love2ref4Ever
I just Love2Ref
I do to, but why do you love to ref?
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 12:24am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I ref so that I can participate in this board and learn how to improve my spelling and grammar.

Plus - I get to work with Juulie! It doesn't get any better than that.
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Personally there are several reasons that I referee (in order of importance):
- to give something back to the game
- to assist in the development and growth of Australian Basketball
- because it's fun
- to stay/get fit
- to earn money
- because I'm a damn sight better ref than a player
- I like having a position of power

How I got started in refereeing:
My father was a referee. He felt that learning to referee would give me a better understanding of the game, and make me a better player (which it did). So when I was 11 I started refereeing - and quickly found that I loved at least as much (if not more) than playing.

Why do I keep refereeing?
- Beacause I have to - if I don't there simply aren't enough referees in my area (and Australia generally) to pick up the slack.
- For all the other reasons above
- Because of the ability it gives me to have conversations with people like all of you here (even the likes of Rut )

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Oh one other reason, if I wasn't a referee, I wouldn't come here. If I didn't come here I would be able to educate people like Padge, Rut, et al on the REAL (ie FIBA) rules of basketball.

Oh, and to teach you all how to speak metric.

Old Fri May 31, 2002, 12:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down That is Padge, not me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Oh one other reason, if I wasn't a referee, I wouldn't come here. If I didn't come here I would be able to educate people like Padge, Rut, et al on the REAL (ie FIBA) rules of basketball.

Oh, and to teach you all how to speak metric.

Do not lump me up in that FEEBLE stuff that Padgett tries to preach. Americans are no different when it comes to international sports like Soccer or Football as you call it. Just because Mr. Padgett does not understand the rules differences does not mean that they are bad rules. We sure can adapt when when the Olympics and World Championships come. We win them all the time.

Peace
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: That is Padge, not me.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

We sure can adapt when when the Olympics and World Championships come. We win them all the time.

Peace
Now Rut - In the interest of accuracy I will asuume you mean almost all the time, and only at Senior Men's level.

Old Fri May 31, 2002, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Rut

I got started by default sort of. When we lived in a small town near Boise in Idaho, my children wanted to play soccer but there was no organization in our area, so a group of us parents formed an organization. But to play teams from other towns we had to provide refs. About 10 of us voluntered, so we took a class from Michelle (I believe Bell) and I loved it. Then a neighbor in Littleton, Colorado told me to try basketball and the rest is history.

I like to stay close to the sport, I like the money and I like the constant challenge to excel though study, mentors, hard work, etc.
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

I was lucky, my HS offered bball and vball officiating for jr.'s and sr's. We could not get our card until after graduation, but we could work MS ball. So while all my friends were flipping burgers or pimping jeans, I was reffing MS games in our conference.

One of the MS AD's talked me into gettign my Track cert so I could work his meets. I had no clue about the rules of track, but now I would have to say Track is my favorite (favourite, for our metric friends) sport of the 4 I work.

I still do it because it is fun, and I can stay in shape. When it is cold and frosty outside why run on a treadmill like a gerbil when you can run up and down the hard wood. When I started basketball was all I wanted to work, it was my #1. But, basketball has dropped way down my list, because it is getting harder and harder to have fun. I try not to take many MS games anymore, not because of the level of play, but the coaches and parents do not make it fun. The second it stops being fun, or when I can get down the floor, is when I will shred all my contracts.
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

I decided to volunteer for my home town LL. But first, I went to a local asso. and took the clinic, so I would know what the heck I was doing. I put my name down as being available in the afternoons, and next thing, I was officiating HS JV.

After two seasons, I decided to try basketball so I could stay in shape over the winters for baseball. It didn't take long before I fell in love with reffing, too.

In both sports, I have attended various camps and clinics to improve my game and sharpen my mechanics. I have a personal desire to be the best that I can be in all aspects of officiating (appearance, rules knowledge, mechanics, game management, etc.)

Now that I have gotten past those first 4 or 5 rookie years, I feel that I officiate a decent game for the kids (and adults sometimes). I take pride in doing a good job, and always learn from my mistakes. I volunteer at the 10-12 year old level (and some charity tourneys), but
getting paid for most games is important to me. As much as I love it, I would not do these several hundred games a year for free.

Officiating is a great way to stay involved with the
game(s), it has flexibility for scheduling around work/family, and provides a valuable service. Being a member of the "brotherhood" is good, but the socializing is secondary for me. Like most things, you have to work very
hard at it to become very good at it. I am always striving to get to that level, and as I improve, I feel a sense of personal gradification. I also like to help new officials coming up.

It's not for everybody, and maybe that's another appealing thing about officiating. You gotta have what it takes.

Old Fri May 31, 2002, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

This year will be my first year to officiate. I did basketball over the summer and I will do football and basketball this year.

I decided to start officiating for a couple of reasons:

1) Dad did it for 20 years, and I always enjoyed watching him work. He was good at it and brought a level of professionalism and respect to the crew that I hope to be able to duplicate.

2) I was heavily involved in sports in high school, but opted out in college to pursue other activities. I miss it and want to be active in sports again.

3) I can make extra money doing something I enjoy.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 08:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: That is Padge, not me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

We sure can adapt when when the Olympics and World Championships come. We win them all the time.

Peace
Now Rut - In the interest of accuracy I will asuume you mean almost all the time, and only at Senior Men's level.
Is there another level that matters?

Peace
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Why I Officiate Basketball

First, for the challenge. Officiating basketball is not easy, and I feel good when I think I've done a good job.

Second, it helps balance my life. When my real job is a pain, I can still feel worthwhile by doing a good job on the hardwood. Tired as heck after a fast-paced game, but ready to go and mentally refreshed the next morning at work.

Thirdly, to stay in (some form of) shape. I'm 51 years old, and my father had had two heart attacks by the time he was 51. To some extent, I'm literally running for my life.

Fourthly (and lastly), for the money. The pocket change helps with the little household expenses. I wouldn't do it for free, and every little bit helps.
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Good question Rut,

I used to run rec leagues in the summer for a college job. I filled in as a ref when we had a no-show. The president of the local referees association reffed w/ me and talked me into doing it "for real" after I got out of college.

I love the atmosphere of basketball and it brings back wonderful memories of when I played in H.S. and Junior College. The sound of the band in warm-ups, the smell of popcorn, the squeak of tennis shoes. I feel more alive on the hardwood than anywhere else. The older I get (a whopping 38), the less activities I find that make my adrenaline surge. Officiating hoops still does it.

I'm addicted to staying in shape so I lift weights daily and do some type of cardio (run or bike), but much prefer getting my cardio workout by reffing. It is much more enjoyable and I don't think about how many miles I'm putting in when I'm officiating....it doesn't seem like work (yes Rut, including AAU leagues).

I would still ref if they did not pay us, but I wouldn't ref nearly as many games. Even though the final check is way less than someone could make putting in equal time on a "side job," it's nice to have a little extra money for the spring vacation.

My best friends now are people I have met in our referee association. Yes I'm bias, but officials are the world's most genuine people. I am very lucky that my wife is extremely supportive of my officiating and comes to many of my games (although I now make her sit above the "fan" section because she "defends our calls" too much). :-)

There is no better feeling in the world than walking off the court knowing that you gave each team a fair, safe, and consistent game.

Z