View Single Post
Old Tue May 15, 2012, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
When I was in my 20s and even early 30s, I would have flown anywhere. Even though I'm fairly lucky to be centrally located and near an airport, the pay for D2 and lower games in both football and basketball really isn't worth the trouble. I won't be D1 in hoops and I might be D1 in football (luckily, years of lower college games is not a requirement like in hoops), but if not, that's fine. But, as stated, if the NFL went full time, I would certainly consider applying.

How about you? You once said you focused your career so you could officiate. Major college hoops would be tough (lower level no problem though fewer games), but you could still work baseball as a full time NFL guy. Would you make the jump?
Well my business was not doing so well so I went back to school to get an advanced degree before I did not have time to do it later in life. I am still in the process of doing that and officiating is really not that important at this point as it once was. I have achieved the highest levels in HS in both football (twice) and baseball so at this point any college I do is gravy. Now I was never in a position or needed to be in a position to fly anywhere as where I am located most places are within driving distance. I have worked college football the last few years and if I ever get a shot at the higher levels I do not have to move or go anywhere. I work mostly college basketball compared to my other sports and that opportunity is also here as well to work that level. I am probably too old to ever be realistically considered at the NFL level, but I would probably be able to do so if the opportunity opened up (just dreaming here of course). I still might have a very outside chance at D1, but unlikely based on all the dynamics that are going on in this area.

I do not want you to think I was being critical of you, because I was not. Just trying to understand why you felt you could never work at the NFL level if picked. I also do not have kids and I am not married so the choices I have to make only affect me. I could chase a dream for a little while where others might have to make a family decision. But I am like many who have done this for awhile and what I once wanted to do is not as important anymore. I just want to have fun more than chasing a dream that is not likely to happen based on other life issues.

Peace