The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 08:38pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Why would that be? If the league is happy with your work, why would you not have a chance of staying on after a resolution?

Sort of smacks of union thuggery, something we can do without.
I'm just making a statement about how things are ... you can have whatever opinion about it and I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong ... just stating what seems to be the facts.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 08:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I'm just making a statement about how things are ... you can have whatever opinion about it and I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong ... just stating what seems to be the facts.
However, using the word scab instead of replacement does color your statement a bit. Just an observation.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 09:18pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
However, using the word scab instead of replacement does color your statement a bit. Just an observation.
True ... I actually debated whether to use that word or not!
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 10:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
True ... I actually debated whether to use that word or not!
And that is what you will be called. It is already happening to those that have accepted the opportunity. Also there are guys that are working college can just about kiss their careers there goodbye too. People remember these things and some college supervisors either are former NFL guys or have children working in the league. Good luck with that no matter what you want them to be called, because the reality is people remember what you did, even if you were not actually accepted on the replacement staff.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 10:46pm
Chain of Fools

Which is why they are looking for recently retired college officials. They are done and if they accept the short NFL career, it will be done very quickly also. They are expendable . As long as they keep that in mind, I say why not?

I've read all the commentary about looking your compadres in the eye and "the brotherhood". If your career is over and you can get one, brief probably, chance to work the best, why not take it? Why would your college pals really care? You'll be gone in a few weeks so what if Hochuli calls you a scab. You want be working with him ever anyway. Your former HS associates are so far removed from the issue they don't matter.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 01:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Which is why they are looking for recently retired college officials. They are done and if they accept the short NFL career, it will be done very quickly also. They are expendable . As long as they keep that in mind, I say why not?

I've read all the commentary about looking your compadres in the eye and "the brotherhood". If your career is over and you can get one, brief probably, chance to work the best, why not take it? Why would your college pals really care? You'll be gone in a few weeks so what if Hochuli calls you a scab. You want be working with him ever anyway. Your former HS associates are so far removed from the issue they don't matter.
I do not think this is about college pals, it is about supervisors. At the end of the day I think fellow officials can and will understand if they are not NFL officials. It is the supervisors that have personal connections to people in the NFL or had a career. I know that the assigning body in my area for college is run by a former NFL official. I know it is not going to be looked at in the best light by him if guys go to the NFL. At the end of the day this is a personal choice. I know it would not be worth it to me at this stage to even consider this as a option (Not that I am being considered in any way shape or form, just a hypothetical).

Peace
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And that is what you will be called.
I don't know if the usage would be correct. If you look the word up in the dictionary, virtually all definitions refer to strike-breakers. This isn't a strike but a lockout.

I would not want anything to do with an individual who seeks retribution on someone else simply because that someone makes the decision to fill a spot that is not being filled. If the NFL officials choose not to accept the terms of what the NFL is offering, that's fine. That's their decision, but to retaliate against someone else making a different decision is not only unprofessional but in bad taste. What if I, as a union member, am adamant that we only accept X and the union votes to accept x-y? Am I justified in ostracizing another union member who voted to accept the agreement? If I can ostracize someone who filled in during a lockout, why can't I do the same to someone who voted to accept an agreement I didn't like and went to work under that agreement? Giving a pass to one and not the other has no logical basis.

The officials' union either needs to get the players on their side -- saying there won't be any games until the officials' demands are met -- or they need to sign the NFL's offer and go back to work. Or they need to quit.

You ostracize, retaliate, etc. others at the risk of YOUR own integrity. Make such decisions VERY wisely. How can you do your job on the field if you give up (at least some of) your integrity for purely financial reasons?
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 12:38pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Personally, I'm more of the mindset that we, as officials, should stick together. When the NBA had a lockout I would have never considered working NBA games (assuming, even that I might have had the opportunity) because I have friends that are NBA officials ... why wouldn't I want to support them?

The NFL officials DO have the support of the players union ... however, I doubt you would see the players refuse to play ... their support only goes so far.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 04:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Is it fair to assume that a "-1" is a miss of some sort?
A missed call or an incorrect made call.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I'd give up whatever future I had in officiating for just one game working in the NFL. Of course, my future is just high school, but regardless, you could call me a scab all you wanted. I wouldn't care.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 01:22pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosec34 View Post
I'd give up whatever future I had in officiating for just one game working in the NFL. Of course, my future is just high school, but regardless, you could call me a scab all you wanted. I wouldn't care.
You're probably exactly the type of person they will end up getting as replacement officials. By that I mean someone with your type of experience, who is not realistically pursuing a career as an NFL official. Well, they'll probably get those with college experience -- but I don't think you'll see top big conference Division I officials out there. Most NCAA coordinators of football officials are past or current NFL officials, and there is a lot of loyalty there.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NFL officials DO have the support of the players union ... however, I doubt you would see the players refuse to play
The "we're with you as long as it doesn't hurt us..." isn't what I call support. If the NFL players said, "give the officials what they want or we won't play," the lockout would be over faster than they could issue a press release.

I do not believe the NFL would take on replacement officials and then refuse to allow them a chance to stay or reapply once the lockout is over. That doesn't make any sense. They would be admitting they didn't pursue officials with NFL caliber skills.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 08:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You're probably exactly the type of person they will end up getting as replacement officials. By that I mean someone with your type of experience, who is not realistically pursuing a career as an NFL official. Well, they'll probably get those with college experience -- but I don't think you'll see top big conference Division I officials out there. Most NCAA coordinators of football officials are past or current NFL officials, and there is a lot of loyalty there.
And they are laying out the threats, too.

I could see some older D3 officials going for it and figuring that if they can't get their schedules back it would be a great way to go out.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 10:34am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I do not believe the NFL would take on replacement officials and then refuse to allow them a chance to stay or reapply once the lockout is over. That doesn't make any sense. They would be admitting they didn't pursue officials with NFL caliber skills.
Challenge: Find the name of a single NFL official that worked as a replacement in the last lockout.

You have one hour and Google at your disposal ... GO!!
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

None, because no one actually worked. I'm sure you recall an event on 9/11/2001.

Now, reportedly, more than 200 individuals were offered a chance as replacement officials. If you can get me a list of those individuals, we can check game logs to find out who, if any, made it to the NFL. Until then, I'm quite certain that you can not say for sure no one made it.