who do we contact if we are interested?
Well, it's NOT Ed Hochuli........

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sun May 20, 2012, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvumpire1807 View Post
who do we contact if we are interested?
You don't contact the NFL. While an application COULD put you in the "maybe we should look at" pipeline, you'd need some REALLY good references. They have a scouting organization and a short list. An unsolicited resume isn't going to change that.

Speaking as an outsider, I love that NFL guys aren't full-time EMPLOYEES.

It allows for a level of accountability that doesn't exist in any other sport. I'd love to see their per game pay increased across the board, but I'd hate to see a system that works broken. Having spoken to my share of NFL guys, they all share an important trait... the belief that the best guys should be on the field (and they're that guy).

The NFL should stay a meritocracy. Leave that tenured, employee crap to MLB.

Last edited by InsideTheStripe; Sun May 20, 2012 at 11:49pm.
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I don't know anyone that works 25-30 hours a week for 4-5 months out of the year that's considered full time.
That 25-30 hours is before they travel to the game. If you add in that time it goes well over 40. If you make them go "full-time", what else are they going to do during the week they aren't already doing? Since you made them quit their real job you are going to have to give them a significant pay increase to supplement what they are giving up. Either that or you are only going to be able to consider guys that don't have decent paying jobs in the first place.
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
My point in a nutshell was that even with a normal, noon Sunday game, its a full weekend plus 12-15 hours during the week for video, testing, etc. If I tried to get in a full 40-45 hour workweek, I'm not sure I could keep that pace for more than a month or two. Just compared to a D1 schedule, that's a stiff time commitment. And I know a lot of guys that have quit working college ball (mostly DII and lower) due to travel and time commitment vs. the pay.
Why would you need/want a full time job if you were in the NFL? Working part time, they make a very nice living.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Why would you need/want a full time job if you were in the NFL? Working part time, they make a very nice living.
Let's assume I'm making $80-100k in my real job while working D1 ball (assume another $15k for college), I would be taking a huge pay cut to only make $40-$50k as a first year NFL official. I could try to pick up something in the offseason but it would be hard to find something that would make up the difference.

If you are going to keep the NFL pay the same the only guys you are going to get to work full time NFL on a regular basis are probably in the $50k or less range. And that would significantly reduce your candidate pool. If you raise starting NFL pay to say $80k to close the gap you'll increase your candidate pool but what more are you going to have them do during the week as full-time officials? It's not likely to make them better officials but you just paid a lot more for their services.

The nature of football and games only being weekly allows job flexibilty that baseball, basketball, and hockey don't allow. Guys do need flexible jobs
Old Wed May 23, 2012, 06:24pm
Chain of Fools

Most of the NFL officials are high movers- attorneys, self-employed businessmen, top sales reps. The same drive that makes them successful in their vocation makes them successful at the highest level of their avocation.
They have the ability to do their job AND study rules, take tests, watch video, and travel the country 16+ weeks a year.

I doubt there are many of them that punch a clock or have the type job where the boss says "Nope, I need you this Sunday in the shop."
Old Thu May 24, 2012, 09:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

As is currently stands the NFL officials make well into the six figures for their jobs as officials. I don't think that making them full time will improve the officiating.

Those guys didn't get to where they are b/c they're under achievers. The most televised game in the world and they make very, very few mistakes.
Old Mon May 28, 2012, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
As is currently stands the NFL officials make well into the six figures for their jobs as officials. I don't think that making them full time will improve the officiating.

Those guys didn't get to where they are b/c they're under achievers. The most televised game in the world and they make very, very few mistakes.
Some eventually make six figures but they don't starting out. I believe the game fee for a rookie is around $2500. Assume they work 16 games that comes to $40k. Not bad for a "part-time" gig.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like they've been locked out.

NFL Referees Are Officially Locked Out
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 09:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

And college officials (all the way down to D3) are receiving emails threatening their "eligibility" to work college football this season if they work NFL games. The same email calls the officials independent contractors. The irony is quite deep.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 03:00pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Some eventually make six figures but they don't starting out. I believe the game fee for a rookie is around $2500. Assume they work 16 games that comes to $40k. Not bad for a "part-time" gig.
You might be right, but it goes up quickly after your first year. Make post season and you're bringing home about $13,000 per game, but I don't know if it goes up for the super bowl or not. Just a guess, I think it does.
Old Sun Jun 17, 2012, 09:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post

John Parry was assigned last year's Super Bowl because over 2,403 plays, his crew had twenty-four -1's.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:29pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
John Parry was assigned last year's Super Bowl because over 2,403 plays, his crew had twenty-four -1's.
Is it fair to assume that a "-1" is a miss of some sort?
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 04:17pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

A piece of advice to any of those considering working while the regular staff is locked out: If you have any real hopes of working as a real NFL official one day (vs as a replacement official), don't do it. You'll ruin any chance you might actually have by being a scab.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Why would that be? If the league is happy with your work, why would you not have a chance of staying on after a resolution?

Sort of smacks of union thuggery, something we can do without.