The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 01:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Ahh yes, I don't understand how rules are written. Maybe someday I will be intelligent enough to see that the offense trying to make the defense think that there is a problem and that the snap is not imminent is practically the same thing as an official asking the coach of the offense what type of play they will be running and then the offense not running that type of play. Looking back I must have been crazy to think that those were different.
I do not know whether you are intelligent, I just know that because you do not agree with the ruling does not mean it does not fit the spirit and intent of the rule or interpretation covered.

Quote:
You know that teams run fake kneel down plays, you admitted that you have seen it on the field. You must have seen a muffed snap before. Anything can happen.
Yes and we shut it down. And it is also spelled out at other levels as well to be illegal. So maybe this is not one of these acceptable fake plays.

Quote:
It is none of your business to find out what type of play the offense is planning on running. Don't ask anyone. You can probably realize when it may be a kneel down situation and you can probably realize when A is in a kneel down formation. If you need to say something you can tell the players to "be smart" or "protect yourselves". It is not your job to announce anything to the defense before the snap.
It is? I guess we never ask coaches "Are there any unusual plays that we need to be aware of?" You are right; we have no right to know what they run. So much so that we ask coaches before every game to make us aware of plays they might run so we can be prepared for them and rule on them properly. In some cases tell the coach that play is illegal which they are often unaware. So I guess someone must think we have the right to ask them what plays they are running. Better yet, coaches in my area often go out of their way to tell us they are taking a knee. So I guess they gave us that right?

Peace
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is? I guess we never ask coaches "Are there any unusual plays that we need to be aware of?" You are right; we have no right to know what they run. So much so that we ask coaches before every game to make us aware of plays they might run so we can be prepared for them and rule on them properly.
I guess you think that is the same as asking "what play are you running next?" It could help you officiate in some way so it isn't that stupid....but then you announce what play they told you to the defense and then call a foul if they do not run that play.

Quote:
Better yet, coaches in my area often go out of their way to tell us they are taking a knee. So I guess they gave us that right?
What play they are running means nothing to you, therefore it is not any of your business. You have no reason to ask.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

That is why I said this

Rule 1-1-6 Covers this nicely I believe!

ART. 6 . . . The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good
sportsmanship
, on any situation not specifically covered in the rules. The referee’s decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game.

The fake kneel down is not covered specifically in the rule book but it stinks of Wrong ball and Where's the Tee? They are both types of deception that is disallowed as is hidden ball if you must have a live ball one to hang your hat on!

Last edited by bigjohn; Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 06:07am.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Each crew/association will use their best judgment as to how to handle this. Its not something we should get too dogmatic about.

Careful friends...lest our tone becomes counterproductive to learning...

Last edited by whitehat; Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 09:07am.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
It's not our job to tell players what to do or to help coach. It's our job to apply the rules. If a team fakes a kneel down that is not our responsibility nor our fault and if a kid hauls off and whacks someone or otherwise does something wrong or flagrant THEN we go into action.

If I asked the coach or he tells me they are taking a knee and then he fakes it, it is my job and my responsibility to make it right!!!!
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I guess you think that is the same as asking "what play are you running next?" It could help you officiate in some way so it isn't that stupid....but then you announce what play they told you to the defense and then call a foul if they do not run that play.

What play they are running means nothing to you, therefore it is not any of your business. You have no reason to ask.
Why is it hard to understand if you do not want to do something, then do not do it. I am not telling you what to do or really care at the end of the day. I am on a very experienced crew where I am the youngest person in years and I have 15 years in. We do this with great success and we are not alone where I live. If you choose to not ask or care and want the end of the game to end in a PF fest as the videos that were posted show, so be it. We are doing this and it is our duty to find out if a team has given up or is not trying to hurt each other and then give that information. If you do not want to do that, do not do that. Life will go on trust me.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
I agree. We had this exact same thing happen last night in a JV game. I was running umpire, team a came up in victory formation, I said nothing. B shot the gap, creamed the QB after his knee was down, we flagged him for a PF, marked off 15. Everybody must have got the message, because the next 2 snaps were clean, game over, band played, cheerleaders cheered, and we all went home.
We let the defense know he is taking a knee to prevent this crap. This is my 19th season of football and I have never ever had a coach question us about telling both sides that they are taking a knee. It seems that we (officials) make a bigger deal out of it than we should.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You are totally off base here...taking a knee at the end of the game is a special situation...it is not like every other play during the game no matter what you think.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Each crew/association will use their best judgment as to how to handle this. Its not something we should get too dogmatic about.

Careful friends...lest our tone becomes counterproductive to learning...
Yep or +1

Peace
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
You are totally off base here...taking a knee at the end of the game is a special situation...it is not like every other play during the game no matter what you think.
Exactly !!!

Why let something stupid happen at the end of the game when you have been working hard all game long to prevent it?

Hence, at 56-6 we tell our kids "they're taking a knee".

At 17-14, we are signaling to our crew members to "stay alert, see the ball, the game's not over."
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
If I asked the coach or he tells me they are taking a knee and then he fakes it, it is my job and my responsibility to make it right!!!!
If you asked the coach and he tells you he's running a reverse, and you tell the defense and he changes his mind ... what are your responsibilities there?

Let the coaches coach, let the players play, and let the officials officiate.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 10:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
If you asked the coach and he tells you he's running a reverse, and you tell the defense and he changes his mind ... what are your responsibilities there?

Let the coaches coach, let the players play, and let the officials officiate.
In our area the coaches tell us. So they obviously want their players protected. And the other coach has the class to realize the game is over and expect the same in return.

As I someone else said on this topic, it seems like officials (mostly on this page) have more of a problem with this than the coaches at the high school level. Heck at the college level many of the same procedures are followed in my experience as well.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In our area the coaches tell us. So they obviously want their players protected. And the other coach has the class to realize the game is over and expect the same in return.

As I someone else said on this topic, it seems like officials (mostly on this page) have more of a problem with this than the coaches at the high school level. Heck at the college level many of the same procedures are followed in my experience as well.

Peace
I have 2 friends that do major college football - 1 Southland, 1 Big 12. I asked them whether they say anything to teams or if coaches say anything to them on a taking-a-knee situation.

One said, "Eff no" to the first question and "If I need a coach to tell me they are taking a knee when they line up in victory, I need a new job."

The other said, "No, never. If we did, it would be frowned upon - these guys know how to act." to the first one, and "No, why would they." to the second.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I have two friends that work the Big 10, one works the ACC and three that currently work the NFL.

They all say they alert the guys. They all tell me that if something happens and it's determined that preventative measures were not taken, they can make other plans for the following week.

Like it has been said before... depends on where you are working...
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 10:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I have 2 friends that do major college football - 1 Southland, 1 Big 12. I asked them whether they say anything to teams or if coaches say anything to them on a taking-a-knee situation.

One said, "Eff no" to the first question and "If I need a coach to tell me they are taking a knee when they line up in victory, I need a new job."

The other said, "No, never. If we did, it would be frowned upon - these guys know how to act." to the first one, and "No, why would they." to the second.
First of all we are not talking about what they do at the college ranks. We are talking about high school and specifically jurisdictions we work not what the Big 12 or Big Ten does.

But at the college ranks which I work there is some communications as our supervisor is a technical advisor for the Big Ten. Never have I heard that we do not communicate something to the players. Again those are college players and they have a better understanding of the consequences and getting ejected can have a bigger affect on their career.

Peace