The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Time Out before Illegal Substitution

Situation: You are counting players, do the 2nd count to be sure and as you are reaching for your flag to throw the illegal substitution penalty the offending coach calls timeout with the linesman.

Do you:
A) Grant TO and leave it at that
B) Grant TO and throw flag for IS
C) Deny TO and throw flag
D) Throw flag and ask if he still wants TO
E) Something else I am not thinking of
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Situation: You are counting players, do the 2nd count to be sure and as you are reaching for your flag to throw the illegal substitution penalty the offending coach calls timeout with the linesman.

Do you:
A) Grant TO and leave it at that
B) Grant TO and throw flag for IS
C) Deny TO and throw flag
D) Throw flag and ask if he still wants TO
E) Something else I am not thinking of
D.

Perhaps A in C-Level SubV games.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

A

Because they took the time out they didn't gain an unfair advantage by disguising who their 11 will be on the next play. That's why having 12 on the field before the snap is a foul. The defense can't prepare if they don't know who will be playing.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
A

Because they took the time out they didn't gain an unfair advantage by disguising who their 11 will be on the next play. That's why having 12 on the field before the snap is a foul. The defense can't prepare if they don't know who will be playing.
Even at varsity?

The penalty happened (if it didn't happen earlier) when the huddle broke. There is no other penalty you're going to waive off if they call a time out after it happened... so why this one?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Even at varsity?

The penalty happened (if it didn't happen earlier) when the huddle broke.
This isn't true anymore. Technically they can break the huddle with 12 as long as the replaced player is leaving the field within 3 seconds being notified he's replaced..

Rule 3-7-1: Between downs any number of eligible substitutes may replace players. Replaced players shall leave the field within three seconds.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I am speaking varsity and my crew has been having this same conversation about this call for 2 weeks now

For the record, we granted the TO and did not throw the flag but upon further thinking I am still saying we should have thrown the flag and then asked if he still wanted the TO.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

If the flag is not already out and on the ground, then grant the TO with no penalty (and especially no "option"). I don't particularly care what level you may be talking about, unless of course you are talking NCAA and A is breaking the huddle with 12 or more.

Last edited by Mike L; Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 11:10am.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 11:12am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Even at varsity?

The penalty happened (if it didn't happen earlier) when the huddle broke. There is no other penalty you're going to waive off if they call a time out after it happened... so why this one?
Fed/NCAA difference. Legal to break the huddle with 12 in Fed.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike L. I do not see the team gaining an unfair advantage so no post-TO flag.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Fed/NCAA difference. Legal to break the huddle with 12 in Fed.
Argh. My bad. I SHOULD assume questions are FED when not listed, but I can't teach myself to do that apparently.

OK, Fed - if the sub entered and the replaced player did not leave in the prescribed amount of time - you have a penalty. Just as i said before, you don't waive off the penalty if a time out happened after it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I've just been working on illegal substitution, because we messed one up last Friday.

FED has both live-ball and dead-ball IS. For a dead-ball IS (replaced player fails to leave within 3 seconds), you would have to determine whether the coach requested the TO before the foul occurred. Penalize only if the TO request came after the foul, and ask the coach if he still wants the TO.

For a live-ball IS (replaced player is running off the field but does not make it prior to the snap), this is not a foul until the snap. Provided the coach requests a TO prior to the snap, it is not a foul. Shouldn't have to wave off a flag because there shouldn't be one.

See Case Book, 3.7 COMMENT
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I should add that as I reread it, the OP sounds like dead-ball IS, since the official was recounting 12. If you're counting twice, then the foul occurred before the TO request; penalize and give the coach the option to withdraw the request.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I've just been working on illegal substitution, because we messed one up last Friday.

FED has both live-ball and dead-ball IS. For a dead-ball IS (replaced player fails to leave within 3 seconds), you would have to determine whether the coach requested the TO before the foul occurred. Penalize only if the TO request came after the foul, and ask the coach if he still wants the TO.

For a live-ball IS (replaced player is running off the field but does not make it prior to the snap), this is not a foul until the snap. Provided the coach requests a TO prior to the snap, it is not a foul. Shouldn't have to wave off a flag because there shouldn't be one.

See Case Book, 3.7 COMMENT

Of course he requested a TO before the foul occurred
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 12:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

If I can't get the players counted and the flag on the ground before the TO request, I'll grant the TO without a penalty.
Old Tue Sep 21, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If I can't get the players counted and the flag on the ground before the TO request, I'll grant the TO without a penalty.
I agree. I don't see where an advantage has been gained.