The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Proper Mechanic for Free Kick Infraction

When a Free Kick goes out of bounds and R elects to take the ball at their 35-yard line, which official gives the penalty signals? Does it change if R elects to re-kick?

I have heard that some crews leave it to the R to make the signals but it may make sense for the BJ (who is with the kickers) to signal.

Any thoughts?
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

The proper mechanic is to have the BJ give the signal if there is a rekick of any kind. I am not a fan of that, but that is what people think is best. Also this is what my crew does. Then again I have 3 clinicians on my crew so we tend to follow our mechanics closely.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The proper mechanic is to have the BJ give the signal if there is a rekick of any kind. I am not a fan of that, but that is what people think is best. Also this is what my crew does. Then again I have 3 clinicians on my crew so we tend to follow our mechanics closely.

Peace
I understand the mechanic but as the referee on my crew I take care of signaling the foul.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

What is the proper mechanic for the BJ administering the penalty ?? We had two penalties last Friday night I had to administer. I stepped off the penalty yardage then turned to the press box and signaled the infraction. My WH mentioned to me after the game I needed to signal at the previous spot, then step off the penalty yardage. Which is correct ??
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 01:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I understand the mechanic but as the referee on my crew I take care of signaling the foul.
I am not referring to NF mechanics. So what you do on your crew and state might be completely different or the standards are not the same.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 22, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesman View Post
What is the proper mechanic for the BJ administering the penalty ?? We had two penalties last Friday night I had to administer. I stepped off the penalty yardage then turned to the press box and signaled the infraction. My WH mentioned to me after the game I needed to signal at the previous spot, then step off the penalty yardage. Which is correct ??
So ... you don't think your WH knows how to signal a penalty?

Scary.

And as a side note - if you meant you have two penalties on the same play and are walking them both off, put the ball at the original spot, signal foul 1, walk off foul 1, set the ball down, signal foul 2, walk off foul 2. Nothing looks worse than an official trying to signal with the ball in his hands.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

I was simply asking a question. It was a discussion we had in the locker room after the game. I had two penalties to administer in two seperate instances. I sat the ball down after stepping off the penalty yardage and turned to the pressbox and signaled the infraction. Reading the NFHS officials manual I have not found where it mentions anything about signalling before or after administering the penalty yardage. Your comment in regard to my WH's knowledge is unwarranted...
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your comment in regard to my WH's knowledge is unwarranted...
It wasn't his comment. You're the one who's questioning your WH's knowledge.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

To answer the OP...

For penalties that are succeeding or subsequent KO penalties, I initially signal and then the BJ or U will wait the 1 minute intermission, and then repeat the signal with ball at feet and then walk off the penalty.

For fouls that occur during the kick including encroachment and Free kick OOB, I signal and BJ/U walks off the penalty.

Not sure where in the mechanic manual that it states to signal before enforcing, but that is the universally accepted order.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
It wasn't his comment. You're the one who's questioning your WH's knowledge.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with questioning your "WH's knowledge" and a smart WH will always encourage questioning, provided it's civil, handled discretely and done at an appropriate time and place. Wearing a white hat does not automatically relieve all "brain gas", known to generate embarrassing brain farts.

Appropriately questioning a WH produces only 2 possibilities, both of which are entirely favorable; It provides the WH with an opportunity to clarify a point of possible confusion for a crew member, or it provides the WH with the opportunity to double think his decision and possibly avoid making a correctible mistake.

When done right, nobody on the planet knows what any discussion between officials on a football field is all about, unless and until the officials choose to share their conclusions.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with questioning your "WH's knowledge" and a smart WH will always encourage questioning, provided it's civil, handled discretely and done at an appropriate time and place. Wearing a white hat does not automatically relieve all "brain gas", known to generate embarrassing brain farts.

Appropriately questioning a WH produces only 2 possibilities, both of which are entirely favorable; It provides the WH with an opportunity to clarify a point of possible confusion for a crew member, or it provides the WH with the opportunity to double think his decision and possibly avoid making a correctible mistake.

When done right, nobody on the planet knows what any discussion between officials on a football field is all about, unless and until the officials choose to share their conclusions.
Point is, the WH gave the guy the right information, but the guy didn't trust him so he asked the question on this site. I agree - if you can't trust your WH, who can you trust?
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
Point is, the WH gave the guy the right information, but the guy didn't trust him so he asked the question on this site. I agree - if you can't trust your WH, who can you trust?
Do you think that (all) WHs have superior knowledge on football fields?

My first year in Wisconsin, I worked as a BJ on the crew and at least 10 times that season got close enough to correct the WH (at least he acknowledged that he needed the help) from making mistakes.

I've always been a rules and procedures wonk. Not everyone is. I bet considerable mistakes are made in enforcements and procedures every week - it's just that very few of us are there to witness them (because we're working our own games).
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your comment in regard to my WH's knowledge is unwarranted...
No it's not. YOU said:
Quote:
My WH mentioned to me after the game I needed to signal at the previous spot, then step off the penalty yardage. Which is correct ??
, not me. YOU were the one questioning your WH's completely correct statement to you. Why?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post

I never said there was; I was merely pointing out to linesman that his frustration with mbcrowder was misplaced.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2010, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

How did I know he was correct ?? I looked in the officials manual and didn't find anything.. I was simply throwing it out here for discussion. If he wants me to do it his way, he has no problems from me. Why did you choose to make a comment accusing me of questioning his ability? Why didn't you just answer the question, or give me your opinion on how it should be done ? All you did with that comment was start a discussion that has nothing to do with why I am here. Which is to learn and improve.