Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

This thread makes me sad.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I believe you missed my point entirely. All fouls are in the book because allowing them creates some sort of unwanted advantage. of COURSE playing with 12 is an advantage, or even having 12 out there.

My point, however, was this is not a foul where the referee should think - did the act create a disadvantage? And if not, ignore the foul (which some above have said, nearly word for word.). This foul is a foul when it happens.
Mike, with all due respect, you are entitled to YOUR judgment, just as others who may assess circumstances somewhat differently. "One size" has never and will will never fit all. The single most important quality an official brings to the table is solid judgment, which includes not only determining whether some action violates the language of a rule, but whether that action violates the intent of that rule to the extent of justifying the proscribed penalty.

Advantage/Disadvantage is a serious concept that underscores the overall management of a game and the application of the rules as applied to that game. Our responsibilities go far beyond simply knowing the rules and being able to recognize violations. We are given, "authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good sportmanship, on any situation not specifically covered in the rule" (NF:1-1-6) as well as, "authority to make decisions for infractions of the rule."(NF: 1-1-9). These are extremely broad and open ended descriptions deliberately and for good reason.

In the majority of situations, the judgments are clear and instantaneous, however there is an overarching standard of "does whatever was done gain, or cause, an unfair advantage". If not, does the act deserve the penalty, or some lesser admonition or caution, like a "talking to". These are decisions made EVERY game at EVERY level and the consistency of those decisions are limited to THAT game only. (We should arrive at judgments consistently, but the actual judgments made are based on the game being played).

Sometimes precision enforcement is the appropriate consideration, other times sound judgment is the key factor, and no two games are exactly alike.
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I'm aware that advantage/disadvantage is a serious concept. I fail to see how it applies to any (ANY!) pre-snap fouls. And I can think of no other foul where a coach calling timeout between the time of the foul and the hankie hitting the ground would nullify the penalty. The speed of our thinking, reacting should never come into play... yet several here have said that they would let it.

Disappointing, really.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 24, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Delay of game

a delay of game penalty is another one that can be "bought" by a time out in my opinion....failure to properly wear equipment (ie Wide out has left his mouthpiece out....official and coach see it at the same time...snap is imminent official reaches for flag...coach calls time out)