The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:22am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I suspect that he attacked you because of how you said it and because you habitually and truculently
I had to look that one up. Thanks for the new word.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
If you guys saw the number of emails and IMs I get from officials saying how much they want me to keep up my banter on these websites you would know that I am the voice of many people who think the same way I do.
The downtrodden and servile officials of the world want you representing them???? They think the same way you do???? You are their voice????? Good Lord John. You need your head examined.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Bigjohn - I enjoy, as I'm sure many of the others, opinions from the coaching side of the game. I would guess that some of the most rude responses you receive are from some of the most timid officials out there (or they could be from somebody's grandmother!). Hope you have a successful season and keep us informed as to all the good/bad/maybe calls made in your game.

I get this kind of message often.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:47am
Archaic Power Monger

Was that during your temper tantrum on the NFHS forum when you deleted your posts and threatened to leave?

I also don't see anything in that message asking you to spread inane comments about the rules across the four corners of the internet but I'm sure you have a quiver full of those messages as well.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 11:29am.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Was that during your temper tantrum on the NFHS forum when you deleted your posts and threatened to leave?

I also don't see anything in that message asking you to spread inane comments about the rules across the four cornerns of the internet but I'm sure you have a quiver full of those messages as well.
.....and messages from your mom don't count.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

4 out of 5 dentists e-mail him for his toothpaste recommendations as well.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
The best way to deal with the "bigjohns" of the world is to absolutely never debate them about anything related to the rules. They aren't really interested in those anyway; just stirring things up. Just tell 'em to piss off back to where they come from. That's the mature way to handle people like him.
I have to say, I really like the kindlier and gentlier Jurassic.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Bigjohn - I enjoy, as I'm sure many of the others, opinions from the coaching side of the game. I would guess that some of the most rude responses you receive are from some of the most timid officials out there (or they could be from somebody's grandmother!). Hope you have a successful season and keep us informed as to all the good/bad/maybe calls made in your game.

I get this kind of message often.
Seriously? An email that remains anonymous accuses your detractors of being timid? You should know the two words I'm thinking right now, but you probably don't.

"Bull Schitt!"
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

there was a name on it, I removed it, there were many.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yup, and you're proud ot it too, ain't ya, trollboy?

Hit the lacrosse boards yet today? Rugger?

Sigh....so many websites to troll, so few hours. Ever think of hiring an assistant troll? You know, like a troll de campe?
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

You have 'em all saved too, don't you?

Did you print them out and spiral bind them together also?

Perhaps you keep them by your bedside so you can read them when you can't sleep at night, taking you to that magical land of candy gum drops that grow on trees, streams of fresh brewed beer flow freely and there are even officials there that actually enjoy reading your spirited and informed thoughts about the rules.

Yes John, there is such a place, where officials always call butt blocking and never tell the coach "three in the box". These kindly officials also never refuse to speak with you because you're just an assistant. Their calls are always perfect and nary an adornment is missed. It is a perfect land and you, sir, have the vehicle to get us there.

Last edited by Welpe; Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 12:27pm.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I have to say, I really like the kindlier and gentlier Jurassic.
Oh, I'm well acquainted with bigjohn from the various NFHS forums, Snaqs. He's a serial troll. It's his mission in life. But ya gotta admit, he is one of the better ones. Look at how got everybody here going..and forgetting all about actual football officiating at the same time.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I can tell you that my crew will not flag this if the kid is properly covered.

We'll talk with the coach after and remind him to get the player inside the marks, but we're simply not going to flag the first one.

Normally this happens during a hurry-up where they get lined up before I can hit the RFP and the defense is ready, the offense is ready and everyone's waiting on the line to set and for the umpire to spot the ball and for me to blow the RFP. Why should they have to wait inside and then shift into their formation?

It's a rule that was written to combat deceptive substitutions and shifts and I would rather work with the intent of the rule rather than the strict letter of it, regardless of how many case plays someone posts.

That is how you are supposed to look at this situation?
Did I write that? I'm too lazy to look it up, but it sounds like what I'd say and how I'd say it.

If I didn't write it, it's one helluva a smart guy who did.

And I guarantee you this: I'm certainly not timid. If you asked me about this rule and even if you wasted a timeout for a conference, I would tell you exactly what I (or some intelligent, probably quite dashing official) wrote in the post you quoted. What will you do about it? The NFHS and my state do not accept protests and I feel I have the spirit and intent of the rule on my side.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:28pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Oh, I'm well acquainted with bigjohn from the various NFHS forums, Snaqs. He's a serial troll. It's his mission in life. But ya gotta admit, he is one of the better ones. Look at how got everybody here going..and forgetting all about actual football officiating at the same time.
Hey I'm just bored at work.