The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 08:31am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 183
Foul where distance gained prior to foul

Excuse the perhaps simple question but I am new to the U.S. rules. Under NFL rules does the penalty for a foul get included before or after the determination for first down. (In Canada it is after if the distance is gained before the foul.)

Situation (NFL rules):

Team A 3rd and 10 at the A 20 yard line. Players A42 rushes the ball. Player A10 holds at the A 35 yard line and the ball goes dead at the A 40.

Is the result 3rd and 5 at the A 25 or is it 1st and 10 at the A 25?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 45
3rd and 5.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 415
It's after the foul is considered. In your example, the runner may not have gotten the first down without the hold. Go back to the previous spot (NFL rules) and penalize from there and repeat 3rd down. It will be 3rd & 20 from the A's 10.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 09:09am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
It's after the foul is considered. In your example, the runner may not have gotten the first down without the hold. Go back to the previous spot (NFL rules) and penalize from there and repeat 3rd down. It will be 3rd & 20 from the A's 10.
It is my understanding that enforcement for offensive fouls not behind the LOS was from the spot of the foul, not the previous spot. Can someone clarify?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 415
You're right. I was thinking of a foul behind the line.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 09:18am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,585
It may be tedious, but often the correct answer to the question being asked depends ENTIRELY on which rules code you are questioning. There are major, and sometimes basic, differences between the collegiate (NCAA) and High School (NFHS) rules codes, so it's impossible to provide a correct answer without choosing a specific code.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcfoa43
Excuse the perhaps simple question but I am new to the U.S. rules. Under NFL rules does the penalty for a foul get included before or after the determination for first down. (In Canada it is after if the distance is gained before the foul.)

Situation (NFL rules):

Team A 3rd and 10 at the A 20 yard line. Players A42 rushes the ball. Player A10 holds at the A 35 yard line and the ball goes dead at the A 40.

Is the result 3rd and 5 at the A 25 or is it 1st and 10 at the A 25?

Thanks.
NFHS - All-but-one; NCAA - Three-but-one. The spot of the foul is A's 35. A42 reached A's 40 where it would have been a first down. By rule, you must consider the action during the live ball as the hold is a live ball foul. Consider, A42 reached the 40 with the assistance of the hold at the 35. Result after penalty enforcement 3rd and 5.
__________________
Ed Hickland, MBA, CCP
[email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,585
To try and explain this a different way; A runner is entitled to any and all yardage he gains without fouling. Once he fouls, however, any yardage he gains after fouling is considered tainted. When the opponent accepts the foul, the runner suffers the penalty measured from where he fouled, rather than where he may have wound up, because that additional yardage is considered tainted.

There will be times that the opponent, for any number of reasons, would rather accept the results of the play, including the tainted yardage, and will choose to decline the penalty, in which case even the tainted yardage gain stands.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc
It may be tedious, but often the correct answer to the question being asked depends ENTIRELY on which rules code you are questioning. There are major, and sometimes basic, differences between the collegiate (NCAA) and High School (NFHS) rules codes, so it's impossible to provide a correct answer without choosing a specific code.
Ah, he wrote "Situation (NFL rules):".
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 05:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcfoa43
Team A 3rd and 10 at the A 20 yard line. Players A42 rushes the ball. Player A10 holds at the A 35 yard line and the ball goes dead at the A 40.
CANADIAN RULING:

In the GWN, we need to know where the ball was held when the hold occurred. If before the LTG, back 10 from PLS, DR. If after the LTG, back 10 from the PBH, 1D/10.

__________________
Pope Francis
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 202
Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
just another reason as to why football rules are so much more complicated than baseball or basketball, and why i hate discussing football rules not in person lol
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 18, 2011, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdave View Post
3rd and 5.
edit: sorry, didn't realize the thread date, mods please delete this post...
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 01:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,188
Quote:
Team A 3rd and 10 at the A 20 yard line. Players A42 rushes the ball. Player A10 holds at the A 35 yard line and the ball goes dead at the A 40.
NCAA: This is a running play where the basic spot is the end of the run. The foul is behind the basic spot, so its a spot foul. Mark the ball off 10 yards to the A 25 and replay the down -- 3rd and 5.

NCAA basic spots depend on what type of play it is and can be confusing when you get into change of possession plays. Also, there are some exceptions when the foul is behind the neutral zone, depending on the foul.

Can anyone give me an example of a play where we need a basic spot analysis rather than the enforcement spot being listed with the foul? To me, the basic spot stuff is anything but basic and should be eliminated with all penalties giving their enforcement spots in the rule.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 19, 2011, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
NCAA: This is a running play where the basic spot is the end of the run. The foul is behind the basic spot, so its a spot foul. Mark the ball off 10 yards to the A 25 and replay the down -- 3rd and 5.

NCAA basic spots depend on what type of play it is and can be confusing when you get into change of possession plays. Also, there are some exceptions when the foul is behind the neutral zone, depending on the foul.

Can anyone give me an example of a play where we need a basic spot analysis rather than the enforcement spot being listed with the foul? To me, the basic spot stuff is anything but basic and should be eliminated with all penalties giving their enforcement spots in the rule.
I gather what you mean is that an unnecessary mental step and verbiage have been introduced into the penalty enforcement procedure. Do I have you right?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Feb 20, 2011, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,188
No one has given me a rationale for why we have a basic spot where the basic spot comes up when a penalty doesn't give a specific enforcement spot. Why not just have all fouls specify. You have many spots -- spot of the foul, end of the run, previous spot, succeeding spot, etc. On holding, the specified enforcement spot could be, "spot of the foul, unless the end of the related run or end of the pass is behind the spot, then end of the run/pass."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dead Ball Foul prior to Overtime gtwbam Football 6 Tue Sep 25, 2007 08:46am
IP with F6 in Foul territory prior to the pitch Rattlehead Softball 6 Mon May 08, 2006 01:06pm
offensive foul, defensive foul or no call? thereluctantref Basketball 2 Mon Mar 13, 2006 01:12pm
Anger over referee's foul calls triggers a bigger foul after game BktBallRef Basketball 10 Mon Mar 06, 2006 02:36am
when is possession gained wedickinson Football 8 Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:32pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1