The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
IF the rule book was followed, any time a player participated with an illegal adornment, there would be a flag. Yeah, it is all about the rules!
You want the rules followed unless they pertain to you specifically.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I never cease to be amazed at how people who don't officiate seem to have no idea what "spirit and intent" mean. I am, however, glad to see it doesn't just happen in basketball.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
and the casebook and why a rule is what it is not just the black and white hard fast rules. If all officials did that IF would be called every time a receiver did not get inside the 9s. Instead the officials just decide when it is a foul based on personal beliefs. Not what the NFHS wants called. IF the rule book was followed, any time a player participated with an illegal adornment, there would be a flag. Yeah, it is all about the rules!
John, you finally seem to be getting it. The rules are established as guidlines which are DELIBERATELY left up to the good judgment of field officials to apply as circumstances dictate for the betterment of the game. If all the rules were applied exactly as written on every play, everywhere, football would have ceased to be a worthwile endeavor 50 years ago.

Glad you brought up this ridiculous "uniform adornment" problem. Is there any conceivable reason why any coach, anywhere, cannot absolutely control what his players wear out onto the field during a game? It makes no sense to me why a competent coach would EVER allow a player to exit the locker room wearing any of the nonsense that's currently prohibited, much less actually permit a player to enter a game like that.

Then again, I try and understand how difficult it often is to monitor 40+ teenagers, who think they have all the answers and get to decide how things will be done, regardless of rules and try to be of whatever assistance I might be in dealing with all the stupid stuff, as inoccuously as possible, keeping things in relative perspective, rather than adding to the confusion.

In the final analysis, both officials and coaches, have different supervisory roles associated with a competitive, very physical, student exercise program and we both share the same objectives; that of seeing the contest conducted and concluded fairly, by appropriately prepared student athletes so that none of the participants get hurt or have a bad experience.

Last edited by ajmc; Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 03:37pm.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
You want the rules followed unless they pertain to you specifically.
I think more accurately he wants to be a black & white, by the letter of rule sort of coach when the other guys are doing it. If his guys are doing it, I'd bet he's more of a "let 'em play" kinda guy. In other words, like just about every coach.
Advantage gained & how to apply it so the game can actually be played is a concept some people just cannot grasp. Of course that never stops them from advising those of us who can how to do it.

Last edited by Mike L; Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 03:50pm.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
and the casebook and why a rule is what it is not just the black and white hard fast rules. If all officials did that IF would be called every time a receiver did not get inside the 9s. Instead the officials just decide when it is a foul based on personal beliefs. Not what the NFHS wants called. IF the rule book was followed, any time a player participated with an illegal adornment, there would be a flag. Yeah, it is all about the rules!
Actually, it was about your "need" to fix a rule that does not need fixing because it's already addressed elsewhere within the rules.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Ruffled feathers in every nest!

Of course it is the coaches fault, when one team follows the rules and the other doesn't but it doesn't get called. Make perfect sense!

Last edited by bigjohn; Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 04:31pm.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Of course it is the coaches fault, when one team follows the rules and the other doesn't but it doesn't get called. Make perfect sense!
Let me ask this, how is it unfair to you if there's no advantage gained?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I never cease to be amazed at how people who don't officiate seem to have no idea what "spirit and intent" mean. I am, however, glad to see it doesn't just happen in basketball.
Glad? Schadenfreude?

I would have thought you'd feel disappointed. Or maybe just relieved.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Glad? Schadenfreude?

I would have thought you'd feel disappointed. Or maybe just relieved.
I should have known you'd be the first person in this board to correctly use "Schadenfreude" in a sentence.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I should have known you'd be the first person in this board to correctly use "Schadenfreude" in a sentence.
Aber natürlich, mein freund!
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't say a word about FAIR. I am talking about calling the rules as written in the rule book.
If one team is breaking the rule and it is not called then they are certainly gaining an advantage because they should be penalized and they are not.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I didn't say a word about FAIR. I am talking about calling the rules as written in the rule book.
If one team is breaking the rule and it is not called then they are certainly gaining an advantage because they should be penalized and they are not.
The rules are written to prevent a team from gaining an unfair advantage; not so the other team can get some cheap advantage from a penalty enforcement.

Merely breaking a rule isn't providing an advantage in and of itself. The question is, "What advantage did they gain by breaking the rule?"

I'm not even a football guy, but I can tell that the officials on here are trying to tell you this particular rule is enforced when an advantage is gained and ignored when it is not. It's pretty common in sports. If you don't like it, sorry; but that's just how it is.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 05:23pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
At least you admit you're a troll.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 06:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
At least you admit you're a troll.
Maybe he's a spy?
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

What if 2-32-15 said this?

ART. 15 . . . A substitute is a team member who may replace a player or fill a
player vacancy. A substitute becomes a player when he enters the field and
communicates with a teammate or an official, enters the huddle, is positioned in
a LEGAL formation or participates in the play.