The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

PSK Revisited

Having a discussion with some other officials and we can't agree on when PSK starts. Some are saying it starts on the snap and others are saying PSK doesn't apply until the ball is kicked (meaning any live ball fouls that occur prior to the ball being kicked are enforced as loose ball fouls enforced from the previous spot). Can someone clarify this once and for all?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Having a discussion with some other officials and we can't agree on when PSK starts. Some are saying it starts on the snap and others are saying PSK doesn't apply until the ball is kicked (meaning any live ball fouls that occur prior to the ball being kicked are enforced as loose ball fouls enforced from the previous spot). Can someone clarify this once and for all?
One of the 5 requirements for a foul to be considered PSK, in NF:2-16-2 is that, "the foul occurs: (2) During a scrimmage kick play in which the ball crosses the expanded NZ".
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:40pm
Archaic Power Monger

The phrase "scrimmage kick play" is telling. If the Fed's intention was to only have PSK apply during a scrimmage kick (which is well defined in Rule 2) then they would have said so. Their inclusion of the word play has significance. My understanding and how I was taught is that the PSK window starts at the snap.

Redding agrees by the way.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The phrase "scrimmage kick play" is telling. If the Fed's intention was to only have PSK apply during a scrimmage kick (which is well defined in Rule 2) then they would have said so. Their inclusion of the word play has significance. My understanding and how I was taught is that the PSK window starts at the snap.

But there is no definition of "scrimmage kick play" in the NFHS rule book like there is in the NCAA rule book (where I believe this wording game from). That's where the confusion comes from. A scrimmage kick doesn't begin until the ball is kicked. I trust Redding but the rule book is not as absolute.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

The concern seems to be if the foul happens before the kick actually happens, PSK will not apply. That's not true. I only have my 2008 books with me here, but if you look at 10.4.3 g in the case book, you'll find this situation addressed.
The possibility for PSK enforcement starts at the snap after which 5 requirements have to be met. The only "timing" requirement is before the kick ends. I believe when the NFHS first came out with the PSK enforcement, there was "timing" requirement of the foul must occur during the kick. But that was changed, again I believe, in the second year.

Last edited by Mike L; Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 06:36pm.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 06:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
But there is no definition of "scrimmage kick play" in the NFHS rule book like there is in the NCAA rule book (where I believe this wording game from). That's where the confusion comes from. A scrimmage kick doesn't begin until the ball is kicked. I trust Redding but the rule book is not as absolute.
That is just dopey and lacks of common sense.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but are you suggesting that PSK enforcement would apply regardless of whether there is actually a kick that takes place?

It seems reasonably clear that should the ball not be legally kicked, any penalty enforcement for fouls committed during the down would be established by the basic spot as determined by the action that occurs during the down (NF: 10-4-1)

Last edited by ajmc; Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 07:15pm.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 07:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

No, of course not. PSK enforcement would only apply if all of the elements of PSK enforcement in Rule 2 were met. What I am saying is that the time element of PSK begins (when the PSK window opens) at the snap prior to a scrimmage kick.

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Dec 14, 2009 at 07:21pm.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seems like I've heard that before. Are you stealing copyrighted quotes?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
It seems reasonably clear that should the ball not be legally kicked, any penalty enforcement for fouls committed during the down would be established by the basic spot as determined by the action that occurs during the down (NF: 10-4-1)
Does this answer when the PSK window opens?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but are you suggesting that PSK enforcement would apply regardless of whether there is actually a kick that takes place?
Now that's DOPEY!
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PSK enforcement would only apply if all of the elements of PSK enforcement in Rule 2 were met. What I am saying is that the time element of PSK begins (when the PSK window opens) at the snap prior to a scrimmage kick.
That is correct, Texan.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
waltjp Quote:

Does this answer when the PSK window opens?
Nope. It just shows how to write an unended sentence with only one comma and no period, while not answering the question.

Typical!
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nice comment dude. How many varsity games have you worked? With an attitude like that I doubt you'll work too many more.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Nice comment dude. How many varsity games have you worked? With an attitude like that I doubt you'll work too many more.
Lay off the Texan. I hear he's got a 5 gallon hat and a 10 gallon head.