The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   PSK Revisited (https://forum.officiating.com/football/55915-psk-revisited.html)

bisonlj Mon Dec 14, 2009 04:29pm

PSK Revisited

Having a discussion with some other officials and we can't agree on when PSK starts. Some are saying it starts on the snap and others are saying PSK doesn't apply until the ball is kicked (meaning any live ball fouls that occur prior to the ball being kicked are enforced as loose ball fouls enforced from the previous spot). Can someone clarify this once and for all?

ajmc Mon Dec 14, 2009 05:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 642595)
Having a discussion with some other officials and we can't agree on when PSK starts. Some are saying it starts on the snap and others are saying PSK doesn't apply until the ball is kicked (meaning any live ball fouls that occur prior to the ball being kicked are enforced as loose ball fouls enforced from the previous spot). Can someone clarify this once and for all?

One of the 5 requirements for a foul to be considered PSK, in NF:2-16-2 is that, "the foul occurs: (2) During a scrimmage kick play in which the ball crosses the expanded NZ".

Welpe Mon Dec 14, 2009 05:40pm

The phrase "scrimmage kick play" is telling. If the Fed's intention was to only have PSK apply during a scrimmage kick (which is well defined in Rule 2) then they would have said so. Their inclusion of the word play has significance. My understanding and how I was taught is that the PSK window starts at the snap.

Redding agrees by the way.

bisonlj Mon Dec 14, 2009 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 642605)
The phrase "scrimmage kick play" is telling. If the Fed's intention was to only have PSK apply during a scrimmage kick (which is well defined in Rule 2) then they would have said so. Their inclusion of the word play has significance. My understanding and how I was taught is that the PSK window starts at the snap.

But there is no definition of "scrimmage kick play" in the NFHS rule book like there is in the NCAA rule book (where I believe this wording game from). That's where the confusion comes from. A scrimmage kick doesn't begin until the ball is kicked. I trust Redding but the rule book is not as absolute.

Mike L Mon Dec 14, 2009 06:30pm

The concern seems to be if the foul happens before the kick actually happens, PSK will not apply. That's not true. I only have my 2008 books with me here, but if you look at 10.4.3 g in the case book, you'll find this situation addressed.
The possibility for PSK enforcement starts at the snap after which 5 requirements have to be met. The only "timing" requirement is before the kick ends. I believe when the NFHS first came out with the PSK enforcement, there was "timing" requirement of the foul must occur during the kick. But that was changed, again I believe, in the second year.

Welpe Mon Dec 14, 2009 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 642610)
But there is no definition of "scrimmage kick play" in the NFHS rule book like there is in the NCAA rule book (where I believe this wording game from). That's where the confusion comes from. A scrimmage kick doesn't begin until the ball is kicked. I trust Redding but the rule book is not as absolute.

That is just dopey and lacks of common sense. :rolleyes:

ajmc Mon Dec 14, 2009 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 642605)

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but are you suggesting that PSK enforcement would apply regardless of whether there is actually a kick that takes place?

It seems reasonably clear that should the ball not be legally kicked, any penalty enforcement for fouls committed during the down would be established by the basic spot as determined by the action that occurs during the down (NF: 10-4-1)

Welpe Mon Dec 14, 2009 07:19pm

No, of course not. PSK enforcement would only apply if all of the elements of PSK enforcement in Rule 2 were met. What I am saying is that the time element of PSK begins (when the PSK window opens) at the snap prior to a scrimmage kick.

jaybird Mon Dec 14, 2009 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 642625)

Seems like I've heard that before. Are you stealing copyrighted quotes?:D

waltjp Mon Dec 14, 2009 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 642633)
It seems reasonably clear that should the ball not be legally kicked, any penalty enforcement for fouls committed during the down would be established by the basic spot as determined by the action that occurs during the down (NF: 10-4-1)

Does this answer when the PSK window opens?

jaybird Mon Dec 14, 2009 09:53pm

Quote:

Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but are you suggesting that PSK enforcement would apply regardless of whether there is actually a kick that takes place?

Now that's DOPEY!

jaybird Mon Dec 14, 2009 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 642634)
PSK enforcement would only apply if all of the elements of PSK enforcement in Rule 2 were met. What I am saying is that the time element of PSK begins (when the PSK window opens) at the snap prior to a scrimmage kick.

That is correct, Texan.

jaybird Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:06pm

Quote:

Quote:

waltjp Quote:

Does this answer when the PSK window opens?
Nope. It just shows how to write an unended sentence with only one comma and no period, while not answering the question.

Typical!
:p

bisonlj Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 642625)

Nice comment dude. How many varsity games have you worked? With an attitude like that I doubt you'll work too many more.

waltjp Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 642663)
Nice comment dude. How many varsity games have you worked? With an attitude like that I doubt you'll work too many more.

Lay off the Texan. I hear he's got a 5 gallon hat and a 10 gallon head. :p