The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 07, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Smile

No, not that TO.

A little while back, there was a discussion about timeouts in overtime. All agreeded that 2nd half carry over, but there was some debate a to weather they accumulate in the OT's. So,I decided to contact the NFHS for their ruling. Here it is:

Situation: regulation game ends 6-6. Team A has all 3 timeouts left, team B
has none. During the first OT period, team B uses a timeout, team A does
not. It ends still 6-6.

So, as they move on to the next OT period, does team A have 5 TO available(3 from regulation + 1 1st OT + 1 2nd OT) team B will have 1.

Correct.

All second half time outs do carry over. So Team A would have their 3 regulation game time-outs and 1 additional for each over-time period played.

Jerry L. Diehl
Assistant Director
National Federation of State High School Assn. (NFHS)

Old Sun Nov 07, 2004, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wow. That's a ridiculous number of time outs.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

A team with 5 timouts could REALLY ice a place kicker if he were going for the winning field goal in the 2nd OT.

Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

That was the way that I thought it should be until the beginning of this season and in fact we had a 3 OT game in which we added TOs each time. I think one team had 6 at one point.

However the rule, as written, does not support that interpreitation.

3-5-1 Each team shall be permitted one additional time-out during each overtime period (a series for A and a series for B) plus any unused second-half regulation game time-outs.

This says, to me, that in an overtime period a team has as many of their second-half timeouts plus one to use. In the second OT period each team has their unused second-half TOs plus one. It never says that we keep the unused first OT TO. The rule specifically talks about the second-half TOs.

The rule also says that a team gets one additional time-out DURING each overtime period and not an additional time-out FOR each overtime period. If the rule said FOR then I would agree that the time-outs add in overtime but it says DURING so I would say that those don't add.

If your wife said that you could have one beer (or pop for those of us who don't drink) FOR each football game you watch on a weekend and you watch 6 games, how many beers do you have? I would say 6.

Now if your wife said that you could have one DURING each game but you only drank three DURING the games then how many do you have? I say 0. If you can only drink them during the game then they go away when the game is over.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 09:20am
Ref Ump Welsch

Actually, the rule as written does in fact support the interpretation. It's all in the semantics of written English. Note the word "additional". That alone supports the interpretation. I can send this thread over to one of my colleagues in the English department for his/her feedback, but I'm sure their answer would be the same as mine.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

There are definitly two sides to this subject. I have been on the ADD-THEM-UP side until this year. I don't really care which way we go as long as everyone does it the same.

However the word ADDITIONAL applies to allowing the extra time-out for the overtime period. What word would you use to provide the extra timeout? It is in addition to the other timeouts. You state that ADDITIONAL applies to two things, providing the extra timeout and adding all unused timeouts together.

The rule is written to specifically include unused second-half timeouts. It does not specifically include unused overtime timeouts. The rest of the rule book says that if something is not specifically included then it is excluded (normally). If that is their intent then the rule should be written that way and remove all question as to what they are trying to say.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Warrenkicker.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking The rule is the rule

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
There are definitly two sides to this subject. I have been on the ADD-THEM-UP side until this year. I don't really care which way we go as long as everyone does it the same.

However the word ADDITIONAL applies to allowing the extra time-out for the overtime period. What word would you use to provide the extra timeout? It is in addition to the other timeouts. You state that ADDITIONAL applies to two things, providing the extra timeout and adding all unused timeouts together.

The rule is written to specifically include unused second-half timeouts. It does not specifically include unused overtime timeouts. The rest of the rule book says that if something is not specifically included then it is excluded (normally). If that is their intent then the rule should be written that way and remove all question as to what they are trying to say.

I believe the word additional is the key. Going by your example If I was permitted 1 addional beer (pop) for each game + any unused from Sat, I would expext to have 9 for Sunday.The 3 from Sat, plus 1 for each game on Sun.

The NF was where I got the interp. from. Donot be suprised if there is an editoral change for next season.

Now where do i marry this woman??????
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Been doing OT games here since the first one was allowed here in 1990. There was never a question about carry over of TOs. Main reason is that in that key word "additional" TOs plus something else. That something else is it does not say anywhere that you loose any TO's unused from previous periods.

That being said, I have seen documented where some states do not allow for carryover TOs. No problem with that.

Gotta remember one very important thing.... the OT proceedure in the NF book is a guide or suggestion. Rule 1-7 makes it clear who is in control of handling ties. It resides with each state athletic office. Therefore I doubt you will see any rule change as each an every state is free to define and implement an OT procedure to their liking and that includes how to handle TOs.
Whatever Mr Diehl said to you in writing about TOs, may not apply at all in other states. It happens to apply here.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach
No, not that TO.

A little while back, there was a discussion about timeouts in overtime. All agreeded that 2nd half carry over, but there was some debate a to weather they accumulate in the OT's. So,I decided to contact the NFHS for their ruling. Here it is:

Situation: regulation game ends 6-6. Team A has all 3 timeouts left, team B
has none. During the first OT period, team B uses a timeout, team A does
not. It ends still 6-6.

So, as they move on to the next OT period, does team A have 5 TO available(3 from regulation + 1 1st OT + 1 2nd OT) team B will have 1.

Correct.

All second half time outs do carry over. So Team A would have their 3 regulation game time-outs and 1 additional for each over-time period played.

Jerry L. Diehl
Assistant Director
National Federation of State High School Assn. (NFHS)
While I appreciate Mr. Deihl's willingness to answer this and other questions, he has no jurisdiction here. The Overtime Procedure is a SUGGESTED procedure. States are free to change the procedure in any way that they see fit. Several states do not allow OT timeouts to carry over, including NC and, as I recall, Florida.
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
....as I recall, Florida.
Not Florida again.
Old Tue Nov 16, 2004, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

In Louisiana teams are only allowed 2 timeouts maximum in any overtime period. If at the end of the regulation team A has one timeout left then they are given one for overtime for a total of 2. If team B has none remaining at the end of regulation then they are given 1. If B does not use their 1 in the first OT then they will have 2 to start the second OT. A could only have a maximum of 2 in the second overtime even if they did not use one during the first overtime.