The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
You can easily miss a lineman in your count, espeicially if one of the outer linemen is "eclipsing" one closer to the center.
I've seen wings miss a lineman this way because they act as if the encroachment rules applied to them.

We're allowed to take a step or two downfield to get an angle on the line.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

good point MB! I do that on the rare occasion I can't see a lineman.

...And actually I noticed there were 666 views to this thread and I really don't like that number so just adding one more
Old Wed Oct 14, 2009, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Who said anything about being worried? The wing across the field is telling you who is on the line with a signal telling you what they have. Then you count. But then again, often times formations are all over the place and it is not like there are not most of the receivers on one side of the field. It not hard to do.

Peace
I don't disagree with you that it is easier counting the backs of the formation. But in HS your looking for 7 on the line, regardless of how many players are on the field for A.

All I am saying is that if you count the line instead of the backs, it removes any remote possibility of kicking a formation foul in HS. Provided that the guy across the field can count to 3.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to ML99 Send a message via Skype™ to ML99
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Should we not simply and directly count players on the line since that is what we are trying to determine?
As a wing I wouldn't have the time and view to count 7men on the LOS. That's why I coun't 4 in the backfield and look for the HR's 11 signal.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 09:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refbuz View Post
I don't disagree with you that it is easier counting the backs of the formation. But in HS your looking for 7 on the line, regardless of how many players are on the field for A.

All I am saying is that if you count the line instead of the backs, it removes any remote possibility of kicking a formation foul in HS. Provided that the guy across the field can count to 3.
Those are too many possibilities. I count 4 after two officials have made a count (and one wing is counting the defense), it much easier to count 4.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML99 View Post
As a wing I wouldn't have the time and view to count 7men on the LOS. That's why I coun't 4 in the backfield and look for the HR's 11 signal.
That's part of the simple genius of counting linemen; you dont' have to count 7, just 3 (which is less than 4 BTW).

refbuz: exactly!
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

A proposal: I assume most wings who now count 3 on their side of the snapper probably began, or at least have tried counting backs.

How many of you who count backs have actually tried counting 3 on your side of the snapper? Why not give it a try in a subvarsity game towards the end of this season, or a few scrimmages next summer and just see what you think. If it aint workin for you, then don't do it...

Hope you all have great games this weekend!

And, as my son always tells me just before heading out to a game: "Dad, don't blow any calls!!"
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Why? What's the difference?
You count your line side, look for a signal from the other wing, add the numbers, decide if you have 7 on the line.
I count 4 in the backfield, look for a signal from the R or U (which they have to give anyway), subtract the numbers and decide if I have 7 on the line.

I think everyone should do what they've been trained to do.
Besides, this idea means I'd have to convince the other wing to do the same thing and work out some signal system neither of us knows. And your "simplicity" of only having to count to 3 assumes the line is always balanced which I think is a faulty assumption.
Thanks, but no thanks.

Last edited by Mike L; Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 11:21am.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

If it mattered at all, one could argue that 2 guys counting the backfield and 2 other guys signaling 11 is more reliable than 1 guy on each side counting the linemen on his side of the snapper.

I suspect that the change at the NCAA level had little to do with the mechanics and more to do with the fact that 5 in the backfield is more of an advantage than 6 on the line. So change the rule and the mechanic to count what matters: they can play with 10 as long as no more than 4 are in the backfield.