The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 09:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC View Post
We changed to counting 4 in the backfield this year, and I think it's a bad change.

The rule dictates how many players must be on the LOS. So why not count those players?

Why bring variables into the equation?
I don't work wing often, but I find it hard to count through people. Much easier to count the backfield and look for a punch.

I sense a rule change coming here, too. It makes sense, really.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Having counted the line for so long, we pretty much count them as they're walking to the LOS and as they're getting set. Usually no problems.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to ML99 Send a message via Skype™ to ML99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Count the backs. If you have 4 or less in the back field, you have 7 on the line. You also have to look at the R/U punch for 11. If they give you the signal for less than 11 and you have 4 in the back field, you probably do not have enough on the line.
I do it this way as well.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Pre-post note: not asking sarcastically here, just trying to understand the theory of counting backfield players instead of counting players on the line:

So, for those of you who count backfield, how do you know what you have? Do you have 12 players on the field or 5 in the backfield? Technically, there is no foul for 5 in the backfield.
You could have 5 in the backfield and 7 on the line. If you have counted the backs only, is your flag for illegal formation or IP?

Or you could have 4 in the backfield and 6 on the line..do you let this go with no flag because you counted 4 in the backfield and since you did not count the line you don't know you have only 6 on the line?

the answer so far has been "If" the R or U or whoever is counting for 11 on A and we see them signal for 11, then we know. Bringing me back to my concern for "too many variables in the equation" and the wings having to look to backfield to count and missing a false start or encrchmnt.

My point is in counting backfield players you have no direct means of actually doing what the rule intends for us to do, that is, determining if a team is legal by having 7 on the line. Should we not simply and directly count players on the line since that is what we are trying to determine?

...still seems to me we are placing too much faith in seeing an accurate and timely punch by the R or U especially with an inexpereinced crew and/or a critical down and distance situation.

Anyway, don't want to beat this into the ground but I am always looking for the best way to manage a game. Maybe counting backfield players is the best, it just has proven too unrealiable in my experience compared to counting 3 on your side of the snapper as a wing.

I realize I may be biased as well as I learned this mechanic (counting 3 on your side of snapper) as a terminal doing college ball and it made a great deal of sense to me.

Thanks for your continued feeback.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

1. I too think that NFHS will follow the NCAA rule change: count 4 in the backfield (which is where the advantage is to be had) and play. If A runs a play with 6 + 4, that will be legal.

2. Nobody counts 7 on the line: the wings count how many on their sides, signal, and infer the rest. Either way involves an inference. This count can end up wrong as easily as counting the backfield.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I guess my thinking is, either way that works for you is fine. I just prefer knowing I have to count 4 every time vs some unknown number.

I just don't see any great advantage to trying to count your side of the snapper, looking for a signal from your counterpart, figure out what that signal means, add it to your count to come up with 7, over...
Count 4 backs, look for a signal from the R/U for 11 on A. If there's over 11, not my problem. The R or U will handle it.

My focus goes off the line? Pulease.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 01:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Pre-post note: not asking sarcastically here, just trying to understand the theory of counting backfield players instead of counting players on the line:

So, for those of you who count backfield, how do you know what you have? Do you have 12 players on the field or 5 in the backfield? Technically, there is no foul for 5 in the backfield.
You could have 5 in the backfield and 7 on the line. If you have counted the backs only, is your flag for illegal formation or IP?
This may sound sarcastic, but why is it hard to understand that the Referee and the Umpire both count the offense as their primary counting responsibility? If they count, they signal what they have. The wings in any system I have ever been involved in are not the primary to call illegal substitutions (which you want to call if you get the count in time and not hard for the Referee especially) or illegal participation if the play happens to go off.

Quote:
Or you could have 4 in the backfield and 6 on the line..do you let this go with no flag because you counted 4 in the backfield and since you did not count the line you don't know you have only 6 on the line?
Isn't that what the signal is to do? I even as a back judge I signal if a team has less than so if my LJ picks up this, we know what to do when someone runs out on the field. I must be missing something here?

Quote:
the answer so far has been "If" the R or U or whoever is counting for 11 on A and we see them signal for 11, then we know. Bringing me back to my concern for "too many variables in the equation" and the wings having to look to backfield to count and missing a false start or encrchmnt.
Isn't this was signals are for?

Quote:
My point is in counting backfield players you have no direct means of actually doing what the rule intends for us to do, that is, determining if a team is legal by having 7 on the line. Should we not simply and directly count players on the line since that is what we are trying to determine?
Let us even say you have one of the wings if not both wings counting the offense that is 3 or 4 people counting the offense. I would hope someone has an accurate count. But if you just have two officials counting, then you do some deductive reasoning. If you have 11, you count who is in the back field. You also have a signal with both wings telling each other who closest to them is on or off the line, which helps determine who is actually in the back field. And then on top of all of this, the play is supposed to go off, so you then have to communicate with partners to make sure you had the right number of players on the field or off the line to stick with the penalty. Is this really that hard to understand?

Quote:
...still seems to me we are placing too much faith in seeing an accurate and timely punch by the R or U especially with an inexpereinced crew and/or a critical down and distance situation.
What does experience have to do with this? I can tell you when I was a wing; it was hard to count looking through players to get an accurate count. So if I was even counting, I might not see a player standing next to another player. And the two people that are looking directly at the huddle and who is coming in and out of that huddle on a regular basis (it is not that hard to count from the Referee position from my experience). Then if we use your logic, we have one person counting the defense. Are you not relying too much on one person to get that count correct?

Quote:
Anyway, don't want to beat this into the ground but I am always looking for the best way to manage a game. Maybe counting backfield players is the best, it just has proven too unrealiable in my experience compared to counting 3 on your side of the snapper as a wing.

I realize I may be biased as well as I learned this mechanic (counting 3 on your side of snapper) as a terminal doing college ball and it made a great deal of sense to me.

Thanks for your continued feeback.
I am sorry, this is baffling to me. I cannot imagine how your system makes it easier to count or it puts all the responsibility on one official to count the defense which would be a clear advantage if they played with 12. Often times the signals help you communicate to partners so you make sure you are seeing the same things. That is what the R and U are doing. Now if the rule is different at the college level that is fine, but the rules are the same as they have been for a long time at the high school level. And I do not see them changing with many places only have 4 or 5 officials on the field. In a 7 man you have multiple officials on each side of the ball counting. And I am not sure everyone has adopted this mechanic. I am not sure, but something tells me we are making it more complicated than it really needs to be. I have never done this any other way and no one has ever accused me or others if missing a rule.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

No worries JR, don't be baffled. Its just a different philopshy and approach. As R, I really do not care, nor do I mandate, how my crew counts (until either the state or local association makes it a matter of procedure to be followed) as long as we don't miss it on the field.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 04:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
No worries JR, don't be baffled. Its just a different philopshy and approach. As R, I really do not care, nor do I mandate, how my crew counts (until either the state or local association makes it a matter of procedure to be followed) as long as we don't miss it on the field.
How can you say the wings have to know how many are on the offense, but you do not expect them to count something? That sounds a little inconsistent to me.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
How can you say the wings have to know how many are on the offense, but you do not expect them to count something? That sounds a little inconsistent to me.

Peace
I don't say that. Officials, regardless of position, are always counting something, a team, a backfield, players on their side of snapper...
I sense you're getting a little too worked up about this whole thing...I hope not. Just a matter of doing things different and trying to generate some discussion as to how offcials do it and why and what they think works best...

as you say, "Peace!"
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 06:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't say that. Officials, regardless of position, are always counting something, a team, a backfield, players on their side of snapper...
I sense you're getting a little too worked up about this whole thing...I hope not. Just a matter of doing things different and trying to generate some discussion as to how offcials do it and why and what they think works best...

as you say, "Peace!"
Why would I be worked up over this? Dude, I am going to do it the way we have done this for years. Remember, you asked the question about how it was accomplished. I did not ask you why you do what you do remember.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Shalom!
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I don't worry about getting reamed by anyone. But we work as crews on the field and one's mistake is everyone's mistake. I find the "I won't get my butt reamed" mentality awful, to be honest.'
While I agree with you, the live and die as a crew has some limitations, and really only applies to kicking an enforcement, not fundamental responsibilities. If your gonna ding the U because the BJ misses a DPI on his key, then I don't want to work for you. If that happened I would EXPECT the BJ, to get an earful from an observer because he wasn't doing his job.

Quote:
On the counting:

We will both (the R and the U) agree on each play -- if not before, than after.

Besides, the LJ is counting the defense on my crew and the L is setting the down box and/or chains. By the time that's done (and the LJ's count is verified with the BJ) it leaves precious little time to count 11 on the offense, too.
I never even implied that the wings should be counting the offense. I merely, said that there's no reason that the wings can't count players on the LOS on their side of the snapper.

Your crew counts the backs and its great that it works for you.

What I don't get is why a wing would want to worry about a 4th back 40 or so yards away, when you could count 3 players that are 15-20 yards away?

just my $.02.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refbuz View Post
What I don't get is why a wing would want to worry about a 4th back 40 or so yards away, when you could count 3 players that are 15-20 yards away?

just my $.02.
Who said anything about being worried? The wing across the field is telling you who is on the line with a signal telling you what they have. Then you count. But then again, often times formations are all over the place and it is not like there are not most of the receivers on one side of the field. It not hard to do.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

You can easily miss a lineman in your count, espeicially if one of the outer linemen is "eclipsing" one closer to the center.

It's harder for a back to be "eclipsed" by another back, that's why it's easier to check the R/U punch for 11 and count the backs.