The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Is there not a rule in NF that declares the ball carrier down whenever they simulate taking a knee? I know under NCAA rules, the ball is dead whenever this happens:

Rule 4-1-3-o
o. When a ball carrier simulates placing his knee on the ground.

I'm surprised that this isn't in the Fed rule set.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

The bottom line in this discussion is there isn't anything LEGAL you can do, which doesn't necessarily mean there isn't any number of things you may choose to do. We've argued back and forth about what the officials "should" say and what they should "never" say, and players are "supposed" to be at full alert for every second of the game, but we also expect them to do as we ask. This is an example of what "conumdrum" means, and there's no "silver bullet" answer.

If you're looking to blame someone, the appropriate place to lay the blame might be on the shoulders of a teenage QB who thought he was being smarter than everyone else (great surprise). Be honest rockyroad, you were pissed off because the QB did something you didn't consider fair, and got away with it. Depending on which deffinition of fair being used, you may be right, but very often "right" just isn't all it's cracked up to be..

More than likely the Referee was startled by what was done, and if he thought about what he could do about it, he ultimately concluded nothing (legal). I wouldn't let the QBs coach off the hook either. If the QB was instructed to do what he did, then the coach needs to look in his mirror as well. Of course the coach may have told the player to take the snap and kill the remaining time running around and the QB added the element of faking "a knee" on his own creativity.

Two things to learn from this, First, be really REALLY careful and specific about exactly what you say, if you choose to say anything, because it could bite you on the butt. Adding the little word, "If" can make a big difference. Second, whether words are used, or not, to involve the Referee as a prop in some sort of deception, YOU get to decide whether YOU allow that deception to be successful.

There's not much you can do legally, but there's things you can do to make things right and fix what you perceive as being wrong. Of course that all depends on what you consider "wrong" and are willing to do to make things right.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 09:20am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
If you're looking to blame someone, the appropriate place to lay the blame might be on the shoulders of a teenage QB who thought he was being smarter than everyone else (great surprise). Be honest rockyroad, you were pissed off because the QB did something you didn't consider fair, and got away with it. Depending on which deffinition of fair being used, you may be right, but very often "right" just isn't all it's cracked up to be..

More than likely the Referee was startled by what was done, and if he thought about what he could do about it, he ultimately concluded nothing (legal). .
First of all, I am not looking to "blame" anyone - it was a weird situation and I came here looking for opinions on that situation. Secondly - I am not now, nor was I at the time, "pissed" at anyone. Disappointed that my kids didn't lay a smack on the QB of course, but not pissed off at anyone. That QB played a heck of a game and was one of the major reasons they won - so I shook his hand and told him he played a great game.

I'm really not sure why people assume every single game situation/question is meant as a criticism of the officials. I happen to know the WH on our game - I have reffed basketball games with him for years. We talked after the game and he admitted that it was a situation he had never been in before, it took him by surprise, and he really didn't know what he could have or should have done...so I came here to ask.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Why do y'all make it so hard?

Look, this situation is no different than the fake injury, wrong ball or insert you're favorite gimick play. I will not tell the defense anything, even if the QB tells me that he's taking a kneee. Now if a QB come to the line and verbally announces that he's taking a knee, then decide that he's not going to take a knee; we will either have an inadvertant whistle by the referee or a USC on the QB.

There is no place in high school football for this sort of crap. We are to be more than rule enforces, we are game managers...that why the NFHS puts the God rule in the book. It covers anything stupid like this that isn't written out in black and white.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
First of all Rockyroad might be a good official, but he came asking the question as a coach. His basketball officiating background has nothing to do with this question and I respect Rocky a lot as an official. Rocky should know that just as much as anyone he can be criticized if their positions they come here as an official or a coach.

Secondly, what Rev suggested is a very common practice. You might not like it, but we tell let it be known when there is a team taking their knee. We simply tell everyone to protect themselves we just use it as preventative officiating because one team is clearly trying to end the game.

Peace
First of all Rut, I couldn't givea$hit where it is. I can speak up for a friend when someone takes a cheap shot if I choose.

Second, if that's what you do in your games, then you're making the same stupid mistake the officials in rockyroad's game made.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth View Post
Now if a QB come to the line and verbally announces that he's taking a knee, then decide that he's not going to take a knee; we will either have an inadvertant whistle by the referee or a USC on the QB.
Why? How is that any different than him saying that they are going to run the ball up the middle and then throwing a long pass?
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
First of all Rut, I couldn't givea$hit where it is. I can speak up for a friend when someone takes a cheap shot if I choose.

Second, if that's what you do in your games, then you're making the same stupid mistake the officials in rockyroad's game made.
Well I have never had a single problem ever saying anything to players at this stage of a game. Maybe the reason I have never had a problem because all coaches, players and officials are not shocked by what we tell them (in other words it is coaches and taught). Now maybe where you live this is uncommon and it would be a problem. Not where I live and I have yet to ever see such a problem, sorry, I have not. And I am sure that is where Rev is coming from. Not sure why you are so fired up about it anyway. It is just a game.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
So coach, your kids just watched the QB run around for 10 seconds because the R said don't hit him? Poorly coached kids. IMO.

Is it correct officiating procedure? No, but that does not excuse a coaching error. This is a case where preventative officiating went too far.

As a R when the offense says they are taking a knee I move in a little tighter and keep my whistle at the ready so I can quickly alert the defenders that the QB has downed the ball. But I don't say anything to anyone about it, I signal to my U and my wings (a very subtle tapping of my hand to my knee) but that is it. But I always tell the crew in pregame be ready for anything, because a fumbled snap or a weasel play might just catch you off guard.

The other day had a player get to the punter before he punted the ball. he was well coached to 'not hit the punter' so he stood there and watched the punter kick it. Oops.

no matter who says what, players have to know when the ball is live and when it is dead.

Sounds like they were coached to follow the instructions of the officials. If only more teams were so well coached. Unfortunately the officials gave som bad instructions. They then didn't have the intestinal fortitude to call the play dead.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And it is my experience in football officiating that this almost never happens and players all the time think what they see on TV, they can do. I have taken the time to explain a lot of things to players on the football field and they ignore it, and have to get flagged or nearly thrown out of the game before they listen. I agree that what was said specifically was not the best, but the coach is ultimately responsible for what their team does, not the official. And football officiating is a little different than basketball officiating when it comes to how players listen and what they listen to. I am not blaming you, just saying teach them in this part of the game what to do. Now you know there are officials right or wrong that will tell kids similar things. Now adjust to what they may hear or face. That is why my crew uses “Guys, careful and do not act stupid and protect yourselves.” And some here would have a problem with that, but that is what we do.

Peace

This is a bunch of hooey. Official screwed up if he told the kids that. No way around it. Time to call a spade a spade.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 03:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
This is a bunch of hooey. Official screwed up if he told the kids that. No way around it. Time to call a spade a spade.
You can call it what you want. You can say the officials screwed up. But why has it never happen to me or any other official I have ever worked with or known? Must be some reason and the coaches must be telling them something. You do not have to agree with it, but in the custom I am under, it is expected. The coaches purposely tell us they are taking a knee so their opponent can be informed. In my world this play would have never gotten this far, the play would have been killed by all accounts when he faked going down.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 03:52pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
. In my world this play would have never gotten this far, the play would have been killed by all accounts when he faked going down.

Peace
Jeff, that is what I was asking in the first place. Since the officials told us not to hit him, shouldn't they have killed it right away? You answered the question for me.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 04:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Jeff, that is what I was asking in the first place. Since the officials told us not to hit him, shouldn't they have killed it right away? You answered the question for me.
I think they should have if they were going to say anything. I could live with this, but again that might not be the custom where you live. And that is probably the problem. You know as an official there are things we do that everyone in an area is aware of and no one says a word. This sounds like there was a standard expected by the crew that you as a coach knew nothing about.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 04:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
I think they should have if they were going to say anything. I could live with this, but again that might not be the custom where you live. And that is probably the problem. You know as an official there are things we do that everyone in an area is aware of and no one says a word. This sounds like there was a standard expected by the crew that you as a coach knew nothing about.

Peace
True...and let's face it, this is probably a "once-in-a-career" type moment. Seriously, how many times does this actually happen in HS games? Sometimes things are so rare that they just catch you by surprise. That's what happened to everyone involved in this game - well, except for the coach and the QB who called it and ran it.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen--be alert and no cheap shots is what I tell them as a white hat and the U reenforces. However, my statement to the QB is rather direct "I dont care if you take a knee or not...but get the snap and get down." Then the whistle is extremely quick. How many times have we seen QBs stand there like this were the NFL trying to drain an extra second. I can drain the clock just get down on the knee if you are going. That just a pet peeve of mine.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

I always mention that the QB may be taking a knee here and let's be smart...all that good stuff. I also had a kid last weekend pull up and try dropping back to throw downfield. This all after he had already went to a knee once and he and his coach told us he was again going to a knee. Ball was thrown well over receiver's head and OOB. QB got every bit of an earful from me and his coach after that.